SG Krux Evo vs X Curve

nobody

WKR
Hello all, hoping for some opinions. Looking to make the switch to a Stone Glacier pack after a miserable week with my Mystery Ranch (legs falling asleep, tingling back, sagging onto my a**).

Looking for feedback from guys on the Krux Evo frame vs. the X Curve frame, preferably guys who have used both. I'm 5'11", 190 LBS, 33 inch waist, 18" torso, broad shoulders and chest. Thanks in advance guys!

ljalberta

WKR
Order both. Put weight in them and see what feels better. They’re different shapes and it could make a significant difference. The Xcurve frame fits me significantly better.

Return whichever one is less suited to you.

*zap*

WKR
the only difference between the two is the stays....curved or straight. Short torso = straight stays generally speaking.

I have both. Ran the X-Curve for five years and loved it. Purchased the Krux for my daughter. I tried it out and wound up buying one for myself, really comfortable and lightweight. The X-Curve feels a bit stiffer. I barely notice the Krux with 30 lbs in it. I haven’t tested it out yet but i feel the X-Curve could handle more weight.

*zap*

WKR
I think the MR frames have straight stays....maybe that means xcurve for you.

Kifaru aluminum stays are customizable....SG stays are not. Good luck with your search. I am in NE Ks. if you want to try some frames on.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I think the MR frames have straight stays....maybe that means xcurve for you.

Kifaru aluminum stays are customizable....SG stays are not. Good luck with your search. I am in NE Ks. if you want to try some frames on.
I wondered the same, but the issue with the Mystery Ranch is the fact that I can't get the belt tight enough to not slide down on my back, even when it was tight enough to cut off circulation to my legs. It seems that the bottom of the frame is too wide for the small of my back and doesn't allow the pack belt to conform to my hips to carry the load. I spoke with a few different guys about this issue who have fought the same thing and they all had come to the same conclusion, independent of my comments. I think I'm just not square enough for the mystery ranch pack to fit me. I had a stone glacier before but had to sell it due to financial hardships, along with some other high end gear, which is what's drawing me back to them.

With that, anybody interested in a Small/Medium mystery ranch metcalf with very few miles and no blood stains? I'll make them a screaming deal haha.

*zap*

WKR
Maybe you need to make the lumbar pad thicker?

I think ov innovations has a add on for that. Found it:

mthayr

WKR
Maybe you need to make the lumbar pad thicker?

I think ov innovations has a add on for that. Found it:

Great find! Last time I looked at this they only made it for ALICE/FILBE packs - while you're there do yourself a favor and pick up an under pack belt - they're great!

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
I wondered the same, but the issue with the Mystery Ranch is the fact that I can't get the belt tight enough to not slide down on my back, even when it was tight enough to cut off circulation to my legs. It seems that the bottom of the frame is too wide for the small of my back and doesn't allow the pack belt to conform to my hips to carry the load. I spoke with a few different guys about this issue who have fought the same thing and they all had come to the same conclusion, independent of my comments. I think I'm just not square enough for the mystery ranch pack to fit me. I had a stone glacier before but had to sell it due to financial hardships, along with some other high end gear, which is what's drawing me back to them.

With that, anybody interested in a Small/Medium mystery ranch metcalf with very few miles and no blood stains? I'll make them a screaming deal haha.
i had the same exact issue. i got an x-curve 2 years ago after what should have been a routine pack out brutalized me and my metcalf. sg recommended putting you back against the wall and to ball up your fist in the small of your back. if your fist fits snug back there or has room-x curve. if it pushes you out from the wall- krux. my fist is snug, i have a long torso and i am 5’9” 155 sopping wet. i did just order a terminus however so we will see how the straight stays on an sg rides compared to my x-curve

md126

WKR
You’ll never really know until you actually try both.

I have a curved back but for some reason the R3 fits me a lot better than the X curve. Not sure why but had I not tried it I never would’ve known.

Just my two cents

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tried both, evo fit me better. 18.5” torso 34” waist and wore a medium belt in both. Xcurve would give me some hip discomfort and lower back fatigue with 50lbs after a mile. Evo did the same but with 60lbs so an improvement but I wanted a little better since that doesn’t equate to much of load.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Thanks for the feedback everyone. SG got me fixed up right at the end of their work day last Friday and my pack should be here today. Phil and Christ at their shop went out of their way to put something together for me that should be great. I appreciate everyone's help, good luck this fall.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Just a quick report back for everyone who may be interested. My Evo 40/56 arrived quickly and has been used consistently for the past month chasing both Elk and Mule Deer. I ended up calling and ordering a top lid after my first hunt out, but other than that, it's been great! No hot spots, no pinching, no numb hips or legs or toes, no problems. It's big enough for anything I'll ever do, and blows up plenty big for some hunts I will hopefully do in the future. Load shelf works great and distributes weight perfectly. Thanks to all for your feedback!

For anybody wondering, I ended up going with the X Curve frame sheet, but had them swap in the straight frame stays from the Krux frame. They were out of Krux frame sheets at the time so that's how they helped me out, and it's been awesome! Again, for a build reference, I'm about 5'11", 195 lbs, broad shoulders, and a 34" waist. Ordered a medium hip belt and it's perfect. Thanks everyone!

_Tyler_

FNG
Yeah, I have the same frame setup. XCurve with straight stays. For those on the fence, I was told that if your back is moderately curved, but you have a torso length of under 21”, straight stays will probably work better. This advise was spot on and no more lumbar pain for me!