SG Grumman Puffy Real World Temps and Layering

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey all. I’m looking for a down puffy that isn’t my Nunatak custom, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the stone glacier Grumman. My Nunatak is overkill for a lot of hunts and while I normally bring my Kifaru LPP, I’m moving away from most things synthetic these days.

Please list real worlds temps that the jacket kept you comfortable in please. I’m talking sitting stationary and glassing or sitting at a cold camp early morning and evening. I also want to know the exact base layer or other layers you have on under the jacket in those temps please.

Appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

Obvious base layer and outer layer (me: ls SG merino base and thermal SG mid layer, and then the SG puffy)

15 degrees waiting for late Nov bull elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Hey all. I’m looking for a down puffy that isn’t my Nunatak custom, and I think I’ve narrowed it down to the stone glacier Grumman. My Nunatak is overkill for a lot of hunts and while I normally bring my Kifaru LPP, I’m moving away from most things synthetic these days.

Please list real worlds temps that the jacket kept you comfortable in please. I’m talking sitting stationary and glassing or sitting at a cold camp early morning and evening. I also want to know the exact base layer or other layers you have on under the jacket in those temps please.

Appreciate any feedback that can be provided.

With more than 40 different people wearing them for true comfort rating, and absolutely static use- no standing, no walking, no smacking hands together- static: approx 35-40°. This is the Grumman combined with a lightweight base layer- wool or synthetic (think T shirt weight), and a medium fleece or mid layer- think Patagonia R1, Sitka Kelvin Active, etc., and not in direct sunlight or wind. Head, neck, hands, and lower body are all taken care of- just straight jacket.

For reference those same people for absolute comfort with the Kifaru LPP get around 37-40° when new, and about 45° after around 60 days of use.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
With more than 40 different people wearing them for true comfort rating, and absolutely static use- no standing, no walking, no smacking hands together- static: approx 35-40°. This is the Grumman combined with a lightweight base layer- wool or synthetic (think T shirt weight), and a medium fleece or mid layer- think Patagonia R1, Sitka Kelvin Active, etc., and not in direct sunlight or wind. Head, neck, hands, and lower body are all taken care of- just straight jacket.

For reference those same people for absolute comfort with the Kifaru LPP get around 37-40° when new, and about 45° after around 60 days of use.
That's exactly what goes in my pack/vehicle. VERY lightweight merino hooded long sleeve from New Zealand (thinner than most cotton t-shirts), over that I use Patagonia R1 Air hoodie, and then either LPP or the Nunatak down puffy. The Nunatak was too warm for many trips last year and I've honestly come to hate packing the LPP anymore. Plus it seems to be losing warmth.

30-35 degrees is what I was hoping for, I run cold in general and hate being cold so I'd land more in the 40 degree realm it sounds like.

Appreciate the reply, and the true comfort rating, that's the info I was hoping for. Super helpful.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That's exactly what goes in my pack/vehicle. VERY lightweight merino hooded long sleeve from New Zealand (thinner than most cotton t-shirts), over that I use Patagonia R1 Air hoodie, and then either LPP or the Nunatak down puffy. The Nunatak was too warm for many trips last year and I've honestly come to hate packing the LPP anymore. Plus it seems to be losing warmth.

30-35 degrees is what I was hoping for, I run cold in general and hate being cold so I'd land more in the 40 degree realm it sounds like.

Appreciate the reply, and the true comfort rating, that's the info I was hoping for. Super helpful.

Let me know how it does if you try one.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Let me know how it does if you try one.
Will do. The overnight lows where I'm hunting elk in AZ this year, right now are mid 30's to mid 40's. Will go scout and camp in one hopefully this week.

Really hoping it works out and can be suitable for hunts in New Zealand in August and Alaska in September before Fall hunts in the states. Those are both pretty unpredictable places temp wise though that time of year hence the thread here hoping for real world temp info.

Just my anecdotal experience: using a Sitka synthetic light weight hoody, Sitka ambient hoody, and the Grumman layer let me sit static for glassing in 30° temps very easily. Throw a light wind breaker on top and I had no issues in medium wind speed as well. Pretty versatile layering system and packs down very small. I’m in CO as well so very light chance of any wet weather.

TXCO

WKR
Its the warmest down jacket Ive had compared to kuiu and FL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It's just one night, but I was able to test out the Grumman jacket...

I went up into the mountains and did some scouting yesterday afternoon, and spent the night in the woods. Below is a photo of the only clothing that went with me on the overnight trip.

.Can't remember the brand Lightweight Merino Socks from New Zealand (logos worn off)
.Firstlite Wick Bottoms (Full length version that they don't make anymore)
.Fjallraven Vidda Pro Venitilated Pants
.Outdoor Research Tradecraft Puffy Pants
.Firstlite Wick Hoody
.Patagonia R1 Air Hoody
.Stone Glacier Grumman
.Sherpa Lined Brimmed Beanie Hat
.Fingerless Merino Gloves

ClothingApril2024.jpg

I sat static and glassed all evening until dark. Got off the ridgeline and down into the woods cover to sit static while the temps dropped. While glassing up high, I was warm enough to not need the Grumman or Tradecraft pants much... I did throw the Grumman on at one point unzipped when the wind picked up as it was getting too dark to glass. It immediately came off for the quick hike down to where I slept.

While at "camp" I didn't make a fire on purpose so I could check the warmth of the coat. By the time it hit 10PM it was already down to the mid 40's and I was ready for the Grumman. I stayed up in it for another two hours perfectly warm and went to sleep.

Up at 4:00 the next morning and it was mid 30's. Sucked to get out of the bag and get the pack on but I hiked up to the glassing spot and was there well before first light.

I pretty much instantly needed the Grumman and Tradecraft pants while sitting static. Winds up top this morning were 6-8 MPH gusting to 15ish MPH. By 7AM it had warmed up to high 30's so for two hours I sat static in the dark and was completely comfortable. By 9 AM it was mid 40's and the pants came off and Grumman had to fully unzipped. By 11 AM it was 50 degrees and the winds died down a bit so the Grumman came off.

So far so good. Looking forward to some colder nights in Northern California to test it on next week. Lows are slated for 29-34 degrees and highs only up to the low 50's.

One more thing, if you want to be able to wear the hood and still have the jacket cover your lower back and top of ass while glassing SIZE UP. For the record, I am tall with a long torso and was warned by a buddy who is friends with Kurt at SG to size up. His advice was spot on for taller, long armed and long torso folks.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Did some high wind rifle training on my buddies ranch in Tehachapi CA. Dropped into town this morning for fuel and ice for the cooler. Temps said 36 degrees when I got into cell service. Winds this morning calmed way down from yesterday. Currently 6-16 MPH.

I’m walking around downtown in the Grumman and a pair of jeans with smartwool light base layer underneath. Perfectly warm and toasty.

IMG_7201.jpeg

ChrisD

FNG
I found mine too cold, if glassing for shorter times, and moving more often then maybe it’d work. Late season rifle hunts in MT being where I’m talking-up to 30Fwith no wind, I found it fine, below that not so much. It was lightweight, maybe too much so. I gave mine to my son, and got a montbell that I love.

Smitty15

FNG
Used my Gruman top and bottoms on about 6 trips this past season on Kodiak. I bring the Gruman jacket when i wanna be light and will sup statute it for the Kifaru LPP when im gonna be doing alot of glassing or a longer hunt with extended periods of rain. For colder weather i will run the SG synthetic base layer, helio hoodie, cirque lite jacket, & the Gruman overtop. And if i need another layer i will put my Kuiu Yukon rain jacket over it all. I can sit comfortably in the mid 20s for about 45 min waiting out snow squalls and windstorms.