SG Grumman or Kuiu Super Down Pro

Has anyone had durability issues with the Grumman? Thats my main concern and reason for looking into Kuiu Down jacket. Please share experience with both if you have it

judders87

FNG
I've put a couple of holes in my Grumman from not being careful and snagging it on a nail and sharp metal. After putting some tenacious tape on it has held up really well.

Mitten32

WKR
I couldn't be happier with how my gruman has held up so far. I've pushed through a couple patches of oak brush thinking oh no this is definitely going to be an issue but no holes so far. It keeps the down in very well. I've Has become my go to puffy due to with warmth/weight. I need to sell my LPP and kelvin active becuase they just sit in my closet now. Kind of surprised it doesn't get recommended more in the puffy threads on here.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I find that face fabric pretty impressive for the weight on the grumman. Very few issues at all, and I have used one for daily wear in extreme cold since release. The Y-fuse holds down in better than any of the Kuiu down garments I have ever owned (which do not include the SD Pro).

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kelvin Lite Down Jacket and I was already nervous about tearing it up because of how lightweight it is. Is the Grumman even more fragile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I couldn't be happier with how my gruman has held up so far. I've pushed through a couple patches of oak brush thinking oh no this is definitely going to be an issue but no holes so far. It keeps the down in very well. I've Has become my go to puffy due to with warmth/weight. I need to sell my LPP and kelvin active becuase they just sit in my closet now. Kind of surprised it doesn't get recommended more in the puffy threads on here.
In your opinion, what’s warmer between the LPP and the SG Grumman? My puffy got beat up during late rifle. I’m in the market for a new one and both of these are on my list.

lintond

WKR
In your opinion, what’s warmer between the LPP and the SG Grumman? My puffy got beat up during late rifle. I’m in the market for a new one and both of these are on my list.

The Grumman is warmer for me. The LPP is more of a work horse due to the cordura areas.

The SG is hands down more durable than the Kuiu. I’ve had both. Aside from losing down all the time from the Kuiu, the outer fabric tears easier on the Kuiu.

4BarN

FNG
The Grumman is nice but the fabric is paper thin. I tore it the first day I wore it. In hindsight, I’d probably seek something from one of the mountaineering brands.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
The Grumman is nice but the fabric is paper thin. I tore it the first day I wore it. In hindsight, I’d probably seek something from one of the mountaineering brands.

I try to only use mine when static or around camp. I’ve torn mine going through brush, which they aren’t designed to handle.

lintond

WKR
Curious about sizing as well? Do you wear same size in these jackets? Thanks!
I'm a large in both (6'-1", 210#) and haven't noticed any complaints in the sizing. I'd say true to size.

Also even though fabric is quite thin on the SG I have not had any rips or tears yet. It has surprised me in its durability. I shot my elk wearing it during archery in the timber and wore it heavily in November deer hunting. I also wear it regularly as my town jacket.

DDH00

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I have had my grumman for quite some time now and I am very impressed with how well it has held seeing what it has been through. I have taken into the backcountry many times and still haven't had a whole in it.

gdiemer

WKR
Another vote for the SG Grumman, great warmth to weight ratio and its proven to be pretty durable for me

I've worn my grumman under my duck hunting waders and carefully moved in and out of brush cover with no problems so far.

I prefer the fit of the Pro Down. SG feels too tapered at the waist and there is no drawstring.. Don’t think you can go wrong with either jacket.

Benjblt

WKR
The SG is hands down more durable than the Kuiu. I’ve had both. Aside from losing down all the time from the Kuiu, the outer fabric tears easier on the Kuiu.
More durable than the Super Down Pro? The SDP has a 30d face fabric. The Grunman is 15d.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

More durable than the Super Down Pro? The SDP has a 30d face fabric. The Grunman is 15d.

I’ve had both. The SDP sheds feathers worse than a German shepherd sheds hair and hunting in similar places and elements I have a lot more holes in my SDP than I do my Grumman

Benjblt

WKR
I’ve had both. The SDP sheds feathers worse than a German shepherd sheds hair and hunting in similar places and elements I have a lot more holes in my SDP than I do my Grumman
Wow. Never would have thought. I was thinking of getting the SDP. I'm thinking of passing now. I have heard the pertex that SG uses is pretty good.

Benjblt

WKR
I just watched a PNW video and they said that they changed the sizing and the exterior fabric. . I've just looked at the new version so maybe that's what the deal is.