SG Chilkoot vs Peax Solace

Hey everyone. I’ve been doing my research on both of these bags and would be happy with either one. They both have pros and cons vs each other but just wondering if anyone has any experience running both and what they liked best? The peax is a little more expensive but would be okay with the extra money on that vs the chilkoot if necessary. Just don’t want to drop a lot of money on one and then regret not getting the other instead of that makes sense. Thanks in advance!

For reference I’m 6’1”, 160lbs, skinny framed, sleep hot, but toes and fingers get cold easy. I’m mainly a side sleeper so I’m hoping there are others who are similar and have some experience with both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rcb2000

WKR
Have you looked at Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends?
Both have been in business for a long time, made in the USA, and you would be hard pressed to find a bad review on either product or company.

Of your choices, I'd take the Stone Glacier,, you couldn't get me to give a dime to Peax.

wnelson14

WKR
Both have been in business for a long time, made in the USA, and you would be hard pressed to find a bad review on either product or company.

Of your choices, I'd take the Stone Glacier,, you couldn't get me to give a dime to Peax.
Ditto

I have a bag from REI as well as a Feathered Friends Lark. I purchased a Stone Glacier as a gift for a friend. All of them are really nice bags. I have no experience with Peax so can't comment on them, there is a review here on Rokslide for a peax bag. When comparing look at down type (duck,or Goose) ,loft fillpower, 650,700, 800 etc. and weight of down. (amount of down in the bag). This is the only way to determine if comparisons are apples to apples.

zacattack

WKR

This. If you aren’t worried about money like you said, then get either a western mountaineering or feathered friends. Made right here in the USA and are top notch.

OP
A

I haven’t really looked into them a lot to be honest. I’m sure they’re great but I’d rather put that money into a hunting specific company if that makes sense?

OP
A
I have a bag from REI as well as a Feathered Friends Lark. I purchased a Stone Glacier as a gift for a friend. All of them are really nice bags. I have no experience with Peax so can't comment on them, there is a review here on Rokslide for a peax bag. When comparing look at down type (duck,or Goose) ,loft fillpower, 650,700, 800 etc. and weight of down. (amount of down in the bag). This is the only way to determine if comparisons are apples to apples.

I’ve checked out the review on both bags and don’t feel like there’s and clear winner. I’ve checked the specs and both seem identical as well

OP
A
The SG is very roomy.

Have you found your feet get cold in the toe box area? My only hesitation with the chilkoot is the beefier toe box the peax has compared to anything else. My feet get cold first so I’ve been very interested in that feature specifically.

rcb2000

WKR
I haven’t really looked into them a lot to be honest. I’m sure they’re great but I’d rather put that money into a hunting specific company if that makes sense?

It’s your money, totally up to you.
That said, you asked on a hunting forum what people thought, and most hunters point you in the direction of those two companies, doesn’t that say something?

I would pick the bag that has enough down to get you the temp rating you need and fits the best. For me the stone Glacier bags are too long as I am only 5'7''. By sticking with hunting specific brands only you are eliminating a lot of great options.

Have you found your feet get cold in the toe box area? My only hesitation with the chilkoot is the beefier toe box the peax has compared to anything else. My feet get cold first so I’ve been very interested in that feature specifically.

No. the foot box isn’t super wide but the room in the shoulders and hips is close to a quilt. I’m 5’8” and it’s been great so far.

The armholes, center zip, and size options make the Peax look pretty appealing.

I have the Chilkoot. No complaints.

I have a chilkoot 15 and it’s way too warm almost 100% of the time and I don’t sleep particularly hot. Footbox has a great natural shape that keeps it more open and I think keeps feet warmer because of it.

I really like the features of the Peax but do not own it. I do have the Sitka with similar features to the peax I use in any weather down to freezing or just below. I really prefer the arm holes and center zip.

I have the chilkoot and dislike the magnet collar contraption. It is also an inch too short for me. I am 6'5" though. It is a backup loaner bag now. I run the WM Badger and Kodiak depending on the season. Honestly will probably never use another bag other than WM. One side note. Be careful being tunnel visioned on "hunting" only brands. Not all have your best interest at heart. Buy the best gear you can afford, that keeps you in the field the longest. That will give you the best opportunity for success.