SG Chilkoot 15* vs Outdoor Vitals Summit 15*

In the interest of saving several hundred dollars, I've been comparing the Chilkoot 15* vs the Outdoor Vitals Summit 15* and 0* (long versions) and from the specs, they seem very comparable. The OV bags were $100 off last weekend making them WAY CHEAPER than the SG. The middle zip of the OV seems weird and the fill of the SG is 850+ vs 800 for the OV. I'd rather have a SG, but OV 0* was nearly $300 cheaper last weekend with way more down. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with the OV bags (newest version)?? Thx

Weight:
SG 15* - 35oz
OV 15* - 31oz
OV 0* - 37oz

Down Fill:
SG 15* - 22.4oz
OV 15* - 20.5oz
OV 0* - 30oz

Prices:
SG 15* - $550
OV 15* - $350
OV 0* - $380

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I have an OV 0 degree summit, older side zip version. It is a fantastic bag, I am a cold sleeper and it is comfy down to 10 degrees or so, I may have had it into single digits as well truck camping but do not remember for sure.

I can't say it would stack up against the SG but it is definitely worth the money.

Lando

WKR
Does the OV have a decent return policy? Only reason I ask is that I've seen pics of OV products before that had down missing in certain areas, so I'd want to inspect the bag against a sunny window and have the option of returning it. If they do, you could order the zero, verify the weight specs and check the down out in a sunny window and save yourself some cash.

I have the SG zero and it is a great bag.

OP
Oregon Bow Hiker
Does the OV have a decent return policy? Only reason I ask is that I've seen pics of OV products before that had down missing in certain areas, so I'd want to inspect the bag against a sunny window and have the option of returning it. If they do, you could order the zero, verify the weight specs and check the down out in a sunny window and save yourself some cash.

I have the SG zero and it is a great bag.
Good point Thx.

I just bought a SG Chilkoot 15 on the auction site brand new for about $150 less than the MSRP.

No experience with OV but id never let anybody take my SG bag from me. My only regret is I gor the 0 degree bag and its so warm that I haven't had the darn thing zipped all the way up other than in real cold. The shape and length are perfect for my 6'2 215 frame