Sevr Broadheads

Hnthrdr

WKR
I carry 5 arrows elk hunting, 4 iron wills and 1 sevr. Definitely not my preferred arrow but they fly great and I would not hesitate to use it as a follow up arrow, if I had to shoot further

Wapiti1

WKR
I have a limited sample of one mule deer. Performed as expected and the deer died in short order.

No reason not to keep shooting them.

Jeremy

Howdy from Texas!
I’ve shot 8 whitetails with sevrs now. 4 of them with the 2.0” and 4 of them with the 1.5”.
Our whitetails are pretty small in my neck of the woods. A big mature buck is around 170lbs. Most does are around 110 to 125lbs.
I’ve been a big fan so far. They have all died quickly and they fly true. Never had any failures on the business side of the stick. One of the does I shot with the 2.0” did not get a full pass through. However it was a pretty severe down angle probably around 20-25 degrees. She died within 60 yards and the arrow did get into the vitals but no exit hole. Other than that I have gotten all pass through a with both models.

For reference I am shooting a VXR 31.5 @27.5” and 70-71# and axis 340s weighing in around 430 grains going about 282fps

I know if at least 4 mule deer kills that did not get a pass through with the 2” sevr. One with 75lb draw weight and the other bow with 70lb draw weight. Draw length 29” and 2 of the shots were under 30yds. I love the heads but seems like 50/50 on pass through .

Last edited:
Shot my first animal with a Sevr a few days ago - a mature boar with the 2.0 head. You don't see many people in Australia using mechanicals but I got my hands on a few as I was curious. I hit the boar right through the heart and the arrow hit his off-side leg bone and bounced back out. The broadhead still spins perfectly and I gave the blades a bit of a sharpen and they are back in my quiver now. Shot was about 27m, and he died after a dash of around 30 metres. Seriously impressive blood loss.
I doubt I'll use mechanicals exclusively but definitely a cool option to leave in the quiver for the odd chance of a long follow up shot.
For interest, the arrow is 490gn and doing about 275fps.

EDIT to add pics.

A picture of the entry.

The arrow I picked up off the ground.

The pig.

Last edited:
I had a pass through with one last season that bent one of the main blades. I believe it was a rock on the ground rather than a rib from the deer. They fly great and I love the blade lock practice ability.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Imo they have several issues.. The rattle, the wings cover half the blade on the 1.5 and get clogged with meat and hair.. They aren't sharp and the blade steel is weak.. as you can tell I'm not a fan..
20221213_090029.jpg

20221213_090038.jpg

Imo they have several issues.. The rattle, the wings cover half the blade on the 1.5 and get clogged with meat and hair.. They aren't sharp and the blade steel is weak.. as you can tell I'm not a fan..
View attachment 578565

View attachment 578566
are you complaining about trading a 12$ broadhead for a dead deer? that sounds like a great deal to me.

this reminds me of some of the bullet threads. if you have a dead deer what is the issue? doing mental gymnastics bc i dont have a perfectly mushroomed bullet in the offside hide or i didn't get a pass through or my broadhead doesn't look nice when it blew through the ribs seems kind of silly if it does what its supposed to do (kill the animal)

(string wax will solve the ones that rattle btw)

Last edited:

Yarak

WKR
Ive killed two hogs with the same 1.5 and its loaded and ready for the next one
The first hog was maybe 100 lbs and the second was easily 250 lbs
Passed through shoulders on both completely
I like them until its time to not like them which I cant imagine happening but you never know

rclouse79

WKR
I finally killed my first elk with a bow after many years of trying with a sevr 1.5. It was a 20 yard shot with a giant boulder behind the elk. After the release time seemed to slow down and I saw blood spray from the elk and a shower of sparks behind the elk. Based on how much juice the arrow had after passing through I am considering shooting the 2.0. The blood trail was insane and the elk only went 50 yards. I did sharpen the blades until they would shave hair.
IMG_0560.jpegIMG_0561.jpeg

Duh

WKR
I put a 2.0 through a mule deer scapula the other day at 38 yards. The 2.0 did some damage and the buck dropped on the spot. Definitely helps if shooting 80lbs and a 538grain arrow though. I’ve been happy with the 1.5 and now the 2.0s though.

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
Two white tailed does and a buck last year with 2.0s. All pass throughs with good blood and a short run before crashing. I'm trying out some of the new 1.75s this year.

TripleJ

WKR
I finally killed my first elk with a bow after many years of trying with a sevr 1.5. It was a 20 yard shot with a giant boulder behind the elk. After the release time seemed to slow down and I saw blood spray from the elk and a shower of sparks behind the elk. Based on how much juice the arrow had after passing through I am considering shooting the 2.0. The blood trail was insane and the elk only went 50 yards. I did sharpen the blades until they would shave hair.
View attachment 597450View attachment 597449
Congrats!

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I got to test a Sevr 1.5 for the first time this weekend.
I shot a small bull elk that came in quietly to me, 27 yard shot. I'm shooting 65 lbs with a 27.5" DL, and a 430 grain arrow.
The sevr went completely through the bull and was stuck in the ground behind it. Shot was 3/8 of the way up and right behind the shoulder.
The entry hole was the full 1.5". The arrow went in between two ribs but clipped the egde of one on the way out. The exit hole was smaller than the entry, the blades had obviously pivoted due to the rib. I've read of that disappointing some folks, but the bull only went 60 yards, so I feel it did its job well. The blood trail wasn't the greatest, but it was a bit higher hit and he was full of blood inside when I cleaned him. I did notice that there was a lot more "shot blood" on the bulls sides than what I'm used to with a 3 blade fixed head.
All in all I wasn't disappointed in its performance.
The head looks great. The ferrule is in perfect condition and even the blades look like I can just sharpen them back up and use them again.

Read1t48

WKR
My Sevr dilemma…

I was broadhead tuning several weeks ago and shot a sever 1.5 from 60 yards into a Haybale. It bounced completely off the bale and came 5 feet back. I did not hit a string on the bale. I presume it did this because it was in practice mode and the wings stay engaged reducing penetration. But hay?

Do you think this is normal and has no reflection of what the broadhead would be in hunting mode?

26” DL, 72lbs, 450gr arrow. 252 FPS

I killed my bull this year with the fix blade after losing confidence in the Sevr. But it was in my number two spot with the setscrew removed 😉

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I got to test a Sevr 1.5 for the first time this weekend.
I shot a small bull elk that came in quietly to me, 27 yard shot. I'm shooting 65 lbs with a 27.5" DL, and a 430 grain arrow.
The sevr went completely through the bull and was stuck in the ground behind it. Shot was 3/8 of the way up and right behind the shoulder.
The entry hole was the full 1.5". The arrow went in between two ribs but clipped the egde of one on the way out. The exit hole was smaller than the entry, the blades had obviously pivoted due to the rib. I've read of that disappointing some folks, but the bull only went 60 yards, so I feel it did its job well. The blood trail wasn't the greatest, but it was a bit higher hit and he was full of blood inside when I cleaned him. I did notice that there was a lot more "shot blood" on the bulls sides than what I'm used to with a 3 blade fixed head.
All in all I wasn't disappointed in its performance.
The head looks great. The ferrule is in perfect condition and even the blades look like I can just sharpen them back up and use them again.
I was wondering if you sharpened them from the factory? I was a little disappointed they wouldn’t shave hair out of the box, but after a couple passes through my worksharp they shaved hair no problem. I don’t understand why havalon blades come about as sharp as possible, but most broadhead blades I have seen need touched up. I guess it is cost prohibitive for most broadhead companies to send them razor sharp, although that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
I made a similar shot on a calf and the blood trail was insane compared to other shots I have made with fixed three blade heads.
Congrats on your bull!

rclouse79

WKR
My Sevr dilemma…

I was broadhead tuning several weeks ago and shot a sever 1.5 from 60 yards into a Haybale. It bounced completely off the bale and came 5 feet back. I did not hit a string on the bale. I presume it did this because it was in practice mode and the wings stay engaged reducing penetration. But hay?

Do you think this is normal and has no reflection of what the Broadhead would be in hunting mode?

26” DL, 72lbs, 450gr arrow. 252 FPS

I killed my old this year with the fix blade after losing confidence in the sever. But it was in my number to spot with the setscrew removed 😉
That is surprising. I shot mine into a broadhead target in practice mode and they went in a little less than a fixed head, but still went in more than half the target.
31 inch draw, 70 lbs, 530 gr arrow.