Setting up a 4 person hunt with 3 Newbs, what would you suggest???

don't limit the group to one tag. if these guys have never had the backcountry experience then get different tags for each person. explain to them that its unlikely they will all pull tags for the same animal. at the end of the day, its the experience that matters, and if you are all friends then you will be happy if only one in the group gets something. that's, what I did with my son the first time. I got him a bear tag since they are cheap, knowing he may not be up to the challenge. he pushed through, and now looks forward to getting out there for elk, and he knows what to expect.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
don't limit the group to one tag. if these guys have never had the backcountry experience then get different tags for each person. explain to them that its unlikely they will all pull tags for the same animal. at the end of the day, its the experience that matters, and …..
I 100% agree with this, and one of the main reasons I most likely wont have a tag in my pocket. The only issue with this concept, is like my original post was about, is simply getting tags for anything in the same season with no points built by any of them for anything.

I know this thread has got pretty off topic from my original post, and thats ok, I enjoy all the replies. But Im still very open to suggestions of what and where were can hunt with their tag situation. I did get an Idaho deer tag for a unit I have never been in, and will be hunting solo in next fall. Im going to throw out a spring bear hunt in that unit this spring to see if any of them have any interest. (Although kind of selfish on my part, as its basically a scouting mission for myself.🤣)

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
montana and apply as a group.
Actually I just found about this when I was in MT deer hunting a couple weeks ago. I have always went with points and did not know you could party apply in the random draw. Since none of us have points in MT I think this is the perfect answer, at least to apply for. Thanks for the reminder!

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
OTC cow tags, can drop 3 at once with a bit of luck. You take the bull.
Are you referring to CO 2nd rifle? Or is there other states with OTC cow tags? I dont keep up with elk tags too much. Im interested in this one as well.

Yeah...CO has more and bigger herds and with a little effort you can find one that'll fill multiple tags. Saw one herd cross the road...took 15 minutes for em to all cross.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Figured it was time to bring this one back to life with an update for all the earlier nay-sayers.

So the guys decided to roll the dice and put in for MT deer, as a party, with zero points. (And I also put in solo with zero points)

And as luck would have it they all got their tags! And I did not. Lol!! So I will be taking them out and showing them the ropes. We will be staying a a friends bunk house and hunting public. All the guys have been great about following recommendations, getting guns ready to go, and have all started working out.

Im pretty excited about this whole trip and experience, all of them are excited and also realistic about what to expect. Hopefully, Ill remember to keep updating as the season gets closer, and after the hunt. I would love to prove some wrong that said this was all going to be a disaster. (And I promise to come back and admit they were right if it is!)

Marble

WKR
Figured it was time to bring this one back to life with an update for all the earlier nay-sayers.

So the guys decided to roll the dice and put in for MT deer, as a party, with zero points. (And I also put in solo with zero points)

And as luck would have it they all got their tags! And I did not. Lol!! So I will be taking them out and showing them the ropes. We will be staying a a friends bunk house and hunting public. All the guys have been great about following recommendations, getting guns ready to go, and have all started working out.

Im pretty excited about this whole trip and experience, all of them are excited and also realistic about what to expect. Hopefully, Ill remember to keep updating as the season gets closer, and after the hunt. I would love to prove some wrong that said this was all going to be a disaster. (And I promise to come back and admit they were right if it is!)
Good for you!

I hope this is the beginning of a new chapter for you. Good hunting partners can be closer to you than family. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sucks you didn't get your tag, but on the positive side they can't mess up your hunt lol. you also have the opportunity to teach, learn and maybe bond. good luck

Good luck, have fun and if sharing the same tent, bring some ear plugs to sleep with.
In my experience I prefer to bring new people into hunting with upland birds or if it is big game hunting usually 1 on 1 that way they get the most out of the experience.

3 Newbs could prove to be pretty challenging but if all goes well, could also be the most rewarding.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Good luck, have fun and if sharing the same tent, bring some ear plugs to sleep with.
In my experience I prefer to bring new people into hunting with upland birds or if it is big game hunting usually 1 on 1 that way they get the most out of the experience.

3 Newbs could prove to be pretty challenging but if all goes well, could also be the most rewarding.
Maybe I was a little misleading, I thought I said this earlier but I didnt go back and check. These guys are not new hunters. All have been hunting eastern whitetails and other game for most of their lives. This is just their first western experience.

But thanks for all the well wishes! As for the sleeping in the same tent….hahaha! If we were tenting I would be in my own! But since we are staying in a bunk house, not much I can do about it. (Good thing Im a heavy sleeper!)

Copy I may have missed the part about their previous hunting experience sorry about that if I did.

Good luck, hopefully they all have a lot of fun on the trip!

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thought I would bring this back to life to give an update for all who gave input.

2 of us are headed out tomorrow and the other 2 are heading out Sat. Im going early because I drew an antelope tag, so Im going to try and fill that before the others arrive. I was also able to pick up a deer tag from the alternate list. So all together we have 1 antelope and 4 deer tags.

All 3 of the newbs put in the work, all showed up for every meeting, and all put in the range time. Im super happy with the whole group so far. I know this is where the real test starts, but I am hoping to prove all the naysayers wrong and we all return even better friends with some cooler full of meat! Stay tuned for the hunt report and final outcome!

AKBorn

WKR
Good luck! I think its a good omen that they all committed to the meetings and prep work. Should deepen their commitment to stick with it on the hunt. Looking forward to the trip report