Serving at knock point just 1/2 a smidge too loose. Fixes?

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
My string has less than 200 shots on it and the entire time I've had some arrows that just feel a little too loose knocked on. I wound a little dental tape/floss around and through hitches in and that helped for awhile. Now it looks like that thread has moved down into the serving.

What fixes have you used? What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mark

Lots of YouTube videos out there with instructions on how to serve a bow string. Hope that helps!

Rob5589

WKR
The dental floss works in a pinch but you really need to re-serve the string.

87TT

WKR
Are you talking about the nock moving up and down on the string or just loose in and out when you slide it on the string. If just up and down it's normal for a little movement to prevent nock pinch at full draw.

OP
M

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
The diameter of the serving is fine for 86% of my arrows. It seems that some of my knocks are just a tad too big. That's all.

WoodBow

WKR
Reserving with a slightly larger diameter serving is the correct answer. If your nocks of the same brand have an inconsistent fit, I would recommend buying a different brand. Nock fit is pretty important. If they are just old and worn, they are cheap to replace.

Wrench

WKR
Nock fit is one of the very important accuracy contributors that doesn't get enough discussion. Nock fit affects noise and arrow flight. If you want to increase diameter, you can pad the string under the serving or size the thread correctly.....it's very critical to consistency.

Another thing to consider is the easiest way to dry fire a bow is with nocks that do not fit properly. Sometimes an arrow can pop off the string while drawing but still be held by your fingers at full draw. Booooom!

Ask me how I know...

mgmicky

FNG
Another quick fix is to put a couple wraps of tephlon tape on the string. Doesn’t last long but works great in a pinch if you can’t re-serve the string

oldgoat

WKR
I have just about every size serving there is, and for the strings I make for my lighter bow, I just can't get the exact right diameter, I wrap the area with dental floss and it really lasts for a long long time. I learned how to do it from the string making video from Rod Jenkins and Chad Weaver and if those guys think it's an acceptable practice then so do I! But if all your nocks are the same brand and style and some are loose and some aren't then I would just pinch them down a little or change out the ones that are too loose, and if they are secure on string as far as not falling off but maybe slip up and down then a second nocking point would fix that if you don't already have one, personally I ALWAYS have double nocking points to nock between, have seen it be a problem enough times I just don't even think about only having one. Good luck with it and if you think you might want to learn how to re-serve your string and maybe make your own strings, I think the DVD from Champion Custom Bowstrings is well worth the $20ish bucks it costs, had a bunch of good string hacks in it plus plans for making a string jig.

OP
M

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot custom made Douglas fir arrows. It's only a few of my more used target/practice arrows that I am experiencing the issue. I'm going to remove them from the quiver next time I notice an issue and replace each knock.