September Truck must haves

manitou1

WKR
I carry a battery jump pack under my back seat. It has bailed out several friends now.

The size I have will jump your truck quite a few times before recharging. They make smaller units not a lot bigger than a big cell phone that will jump several times before discharging.

Weldor

WKR
When (probably not an if with the progress they're making w/ batteries) they come out with an electric chainsaw that sawyers are actually buying—I'll make the switch back to a chainsaw :D

Agree w/ Poser, do not use a tow a rope (or a chain) for pulling someone out (or for someone pulling you out)- you definitely want a snatch strap, make it a longer one.

I don't have a winch on my truck, but I have one of these; not you're average cumalong

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/p/67113/15122/wyeth-scott-more-power-puller-amsteel-blue-rope

Our department would not equip or work trucks w/ winches for some damn reason; got all my guys one of these for their truck—we made quite a few impressive recoveries with them.
Used similiar ones with a strap for years when I worked out in the field, still have 2. I run 16 and 18 inch Greenworks battery chainsaws, I have to say I like them. What surprises me I so far so good no bar oil leaks. I keep a Kobolt 12 inch on my side x side it leaks like a sieve, but gets the job done. Same I'm for the straps vs chains.

Dangit. I’m on a trip at the moment and this highlighted 2 things I usually have and forgot this time around.
A quality tire plug kit (blackjack or other shop quality plugs)
A code reader

Everything else mentioned
Fuses, replacement trailer light bulbs if you don’t have LED’s
Duck tape
zip ties
Headlamp that stays in the truck
Never had to use one yet, but if I do spark plug wires and accessory drive belts I throw a couple of the serviceable old ones behind the seat.
If you’re running anything older check out your idler and tensioner pulleys and all of your cooler lines once a year.
I thought my hunting rig was close to up to the task a few weeks ago, once I started servicing it I ended up sticking $2k into it pretty fast including a new set of rubber. Should be good to go for quite awhile again.

Last edited:
5 gallons of emerrgency fuel. You can gettt strung out between gas stations and forget to fill up when you really needed to. Ask me how I know. Wont happen again..lol

Maybe a gallon jug of water too.

Weldor

WKR
I always take a code reader that will read live data (engine temp, o2 sensor output, voltage, fuel pressure, etc). A friend had her newish car fail to start at the Target parking lot with no check engine light or code. I didn’t know anything about that year/make/model, but the live data showed an engine temp much higher than it should have - obviously the temp sensor was bad and the computer was injecting fuel as if it was hot, which was too lean to fire the cold engine. Unplugging the sensor put the engine into some default mode with a check engine light, but it started. Had this been some trailhead in the middle of nowhere, best case it could have ruined a few days of fun. Just the cost of a tow two hours from town and simple diagnosis will buy a new rifle.
Good idea. They are cheap enough at HF

kyguylal

FNG
The self contained battery jumpers have become tiny and very inexpensive. Have a $20 amazon one in my truck and hadn't charged it in a year. Jumped a SUV right away.

CCooper

WKR
A simple item I always keep in my toolbox that hasn't been mentioned is a cheap 6' x 8' tarp. Nice to have something to throw down changing a tire in the rain and mud- nice to throw down in the snow when tossing chains on. Throw it away and get another for 10 bucks.
I like a good tapered wood block if towing a tandem axle, and as others stated a breaker bar.
Electrical kit with terminal ends, strippers, jumper wires, and a good meter.
Power saw, couple snatch blocks and various nylon slings, chains if snow is on the menu.
Several sizes of Irish screwdrivers and an axe.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
back to the “tree across the road” scenario; if you’re sawing (hand or chainsaw), throw in a couple of small wedges (and preferably a small axe vs a hammer to pound them in)- this could save you huge aggravation! :D