September Truck must haves

Jmort1754

WKR
We are embarking on a 3-4 week Western Swing, some truck camping, some hotel stays, some spike outs.

Hear is what I have--

Tires are 70%
Fresh rotation,
Fresh Service
Spare Tire Under truck with good air pressure

All this fits in one tote, if packed correctly, usually rides in the truck anyways.
Tow Rope
14 Ft Chain
Come-a-long 4 ton
Battery Impact
Impact Sockets
Spare Batteries
Tire Inflator
Socket Set
Ratchet set
Tire plug kit

Shovel

I have the rest of the gear nailed down...

What am I missing?

crich

WKR
- Breaker bar I wouldn't rely on the impact alone for lugs unless it's a big one. Comes in handy as a lever for random things as well.
- Road flares
- Noco jump box. Cables are only good when you're not alone.

Matt5266

WKR
Couple years ago a buddy and I were hunting deer in Idaho and we rolled up on several trucks parked in the road. Very large tree was across the road. We were the only ones with a saw. Minutes later we were all on our way.... plan for worst case, especially for gear you dont have to pack. No reason not too.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
- Breaker bar I wouldn't rely on the impact alone for lugs unless it's a big one. Comes in handy as a lever for random things as well.
- Road flares
Milwaukee m18 1/2 inch high torque should break anything on a 1/2 ton free I would think, but breaker bar takes up little room.

SandyCreek

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys using bottle jacks or high lift jacks?
I take a floor jack and bottle, Also the milwaukee m18 inflator is the bees knees. Basically i take a whole bag of power tools too drill, impact, sawz all, and my milwaukee chainsaw. And a whole assortment of hand tools.

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
- Road flares
Amen to the breaker bar. Last fall, had to jump up and down on the tire wrench that came with my Jeep Wrangler Sport S to get the lug nuts loose. Thank goodness I had found a rather level spot to change the tire.

Poser

WKR
You need a snatch cord. Don't use a tow rope for recovery and definitely don't use a chain. You need a cord that will stretch and serve a dynamic function.

Battery jumper such as a NOCO mentioned above. Don't use jumper cables on/between newer vehicles unless its absolutely necessary as you can cause electrical damage.

Multimeter is always a good idea so you can field diagnose batteries, alternator etc -at least know what kind of potential problems you may be dealing with.

Never a bad idea to leave some rodent repellent in your engine bay when parked at a TH or out in the backcountry especially if you have a newer vehicle with soy based electrical wiring. The warmth of the engine bay can also attract rodents, though.

Mechanics bailing wire can be used to Macgyver a number of problems as can zipties.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
Milwaukee m18 1/2 inch high torque should break anything on a 1/2 ton free I would think, but breaker bar takes up little room.

My Milwaukee 3/4 in never leaves the truck. The battery is phenomenal too. 1/2 in adapter for my lug nut set. I’ve helped a lot of folks put their spare on. I carry a 3 ton jack too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Another plug for the breaker bar here.

Also, a high lift jack can double as a come-along.

Are you guys using bottle jacks or high lift jacks?

bottle jack. I actually like the lil screw jacks that some rigs come with. The get pretty tall and you can do some sketchy stuff with them without getting hurt, because you are 4' away from the thing.

Each year, I seem to carry less and less. A spare, jack, plug kit, shovel and a few tools stay in the truck year round. I toss a saw in if I'm headed for the woods.

If you have splined lugnuts make sure you have the stupid socket to pull those......

Shop wipes... The ones that are like baby wipes only with degreaser.

Some sort of food/snack aside from whatever you're packing for meals.

After dealing with a problem being able to quickly clean your hands and maybe eat a bit can make a frustrating situation a lot better.