Selway Wilderness

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously since this is a hunting forum my motivations are pretty obvious but feel free to drop a post or dm about anything to do with the place. Even if it's some summer pics or general terrain/ecosystem info. It's a lot of ground so there's no way I'm even gonna scratch the surface on foot even with a lot of effort.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I have hunted there a lot. You have to scout and cover LOTS of country.

Livestock is the answer if you want to be successful.

It’s beautiful country. Expect very low game densities.

Make sure you take a chainsaw and lots of extra fuel for your vehicle. I don’t believe you can get gas in Elk City anymore unless I’m mistaken?
Not sure how recently this is. I got gas there during the 2022 season but we had to wait for it to reopen after a lunch break. They were out of diesel.

Low game densities might be an understatement.

OP
BuckRut

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted there a lot. You have to scout and cover LOTS of country.

Livestock is the answer if you want to be successful.
I've got harses and if I can draw a buddy or 2 to break away from elk season back home they will come along. Don't know that I'm keen on taking a pair 13 miles deep by myself though.

Not sure how recently this is. I got gas there during the 2022 season but we had to wait for it to reopen after a lunch break. They were out of diese
I can’t remember where I heard it. And I certainly can’t confirm it. But I am almost 100% certain that I either read or heard that the store does not sell gas anymore and you have to get it in Grangeville?

Dixie

FNG
I can’t remember where I heard it. And I certainly can’t confirm it. But I am almost 100% certain that I either read or heard that the store does not sell gas anymore and you have to get it in Grangeville?
That's correct ...Store had a sign on the door yesterday "no gas after May 1st"

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
It helps but is not essential. I’ve killed elk in both the Selway and the Frank Church on foot. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it can be done. If you don’t have livestock, I would recommend avoiding an established trailhead.
Maybe for deer, but I have had a couple groups over the years offer me millions to help pack out their elk with the goats. :)

CorbLand

WKR
If a person wanted to disappear and never be found again, the Selway would be a good place to do it. Crazy big country but absolutely beautiful. I would love to take horses and spend an entire fall in there.

IDVortex

WKR
It helps but is not essential. I’ve killed elk in both the Selway and the Frank Church on foot. It’s not for the faint of heart, but it can be done. If you don’t have livestock, I would recommend avoiding an established trailhead.
Why stay away from trails, presume just due to more density of guys using the trail system to travel on foot?

OP
BuckRut

BuckRut

Lil-Rokslider
How’s the age class of the few animals that are in there?

Huntnnw

WKR
How’s the age class of the few animals that are in there
hunting a area near there that is also extremely low density of elk I can say there is some very old bulls in these areas just not alot of elk. Same for mule deer is very few pockets of deer, but the deer you find there seems to be some old bucks around every year I hunt them.