Selway River Spring Bear Hunt

ckal

FNG
Currently planning a backcountry spring bear hunt in Idaho. It is my first time doing this hunt and plan on hiking in about 8-10 miles to our spot. We plan on going the first week of May but might be dealing with snow still, not sure. I have never done this hunt and am looking for some guidance on areas to potentially go to. Right now we have been looking at the seaway region near moose creek but aren't too sure. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

BAKPAKR

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide!

If you are planning on accessing the upper part of Moose Creek from Montana, I am betting you will have some serious snow to deal with on either side of the passes in early May. It will be a pretty cool trip though. I hope you post some photos and a story when you get back.

• Banned
OP
C

ckal

FNG
Your first backpack hunt will be 8-10 miles in? Ambitious. Welcome and good luck!
Yes it is a long ways! I am used to hiking 10+ miles per day with a 40-45 lbs pack while hunting. This trip is going to be a bit heavier of a load a require 5-6 days hunting along the way.

Loo.wii

WKR
I’m getting ready to do the same trip in May. I don’t think you’ll get any spots from the people here

I arrowed a crusher in there a few years back, haven't hunted it in a long time, we were only about 1 mile in, and I'm glad it wasn't more.

What about young dummies with low cholesterol and time in the infantry
You should be good if you have the baseline to know to be prepared for a fun ruck. Always fun when you’re walking in or out from race creek to the air strip not paying too much attention and stumble into a snake on the trail.

Quite a few years ago, a buddy and I did a float hunt on the Selway river (Paradise -to- Race Creek). The raft got us into great terrain for spot & stalk hunting. I killed a really nice bear. The biggest logistical hurdle was getting over Nez Perce pass to the river put-in, with all of our rafting gear. The road at that time was buried under about 6 feet of snow. We found a couple of guys with modified Bronco’s (low pressure tire beads, so they could drive on flat tires and secondary transmissions, so they could crawl at just a couple of MPH without spinning their wheels). They were guiding for bears over bait and used their Bronco’s to haul bait in. When we went in, we drove in at daylight on top of frozen spring snow. While on the river the water levels came up to over 7’ on the gauge and was absolutely ripping through the Moose Creek section. Definitely an awesome hunt. I’d only recommend running the river if you’re an experienced oarsman.

Last edited:

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I were in the exact area a few years ago. Have fun with the pack out. Only advice would be to realize how difficult the terrain is. Experienced or not keep it realistic.

swe048

FNG
Sounds like it will be one heck of an adventure whatever you choose to do ckal, just know your limitations and be prepared for everything, especially the mental aspect. If you have a military background in the infantry, I would say your more ready for this than the average guy.
While you're still young...GO! ...and have some fun.

BAKPAKR

WKR

swe048

FNG
My mistake, that was Loo.wii with the infantry background, either way, know your limitations, use your head, keep your cool and have a great adventure.

swe048

FNG
^^This^^

@Loo.wii, Don’t be like this guy:

Good example of not knowing your limitations...
I'll give him credit for having the InReach and proper gear to survive a couple of nights in the cold.