Selling a long gun online?

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all
I'm going to unload a few guns and have never sold one online. Can anyone walk me through the process so I don't do something I shouldn't? Anything I need to do besides ship to an ffl? I've sold a decent amount of gear but never a gun. Thanks in advance!

Rich M

WKR
Your FFL will ship to the other FFL, who will presumably do a record check on the other guy. At least I've had to submit for record check at my FFL when buying online.

wyosteve

WKR
FedEx won't ship guns. UPS requires it be from a FFL to a FFL. Folks say USPS will ship from a private individual to a FFL, but I've never tried it as I trust them less than UPS.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Get payment first unless you trust the buyer that much, don't mention anything about firearms if you use PayPal. Other than that it's as simple as stated above, pay your local FFL a few bucks to ship it for you and go about your day.

atmat

WKR
Unless you have an FFL, USPS is the only one who will allow you to ship a firearm.

If shipping in state, you can ship directly to the buyer.

If shipping out of state, you must ship to an FFL. Verify with the FFL before shipping that they’re expecting the gun; also verify their license is active/legit. Include a photocopy of their FFL license and your Driver’s License in the box.

The box cannot show any signs of being a firearm, including labeling. Always pay for insurance.

At USPS, I declare them at the counter to be firearms. The folks are always totally clueless and take them.

MThuntr

WKR
Anyone know when FedEx and UPS switched to FFL-FFL transfer only? I have sent a lot of guns through them but it's been awhile.

I've used USPS several times also and fortunately the local office is well versed with the rules. I often takes forever and the tracking can be spotty.

atmat

WKR
Anyone know when FedEx and UPS switched to FFL-FFL transfer only? I have sent a lot of guns through them but it's been awhile.

I've used USPS several times also and fortunately the local office is well versed with the rules. I often takes forever and the tracking can be spotty.
I think UPS was summer/fall of last year.

OP
M

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone! Sounds like use a ffl on both ends and nothing much else to worry about.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks everyone! Sounds like use a ffl on both ends and nothing much else to worry about.
That’s the way to go. I just shipped one a few weeks ago. As mentioned, usps is the only option for individual to FFL now. I had to go to two separate post offices, was told at one I couldn’t ship. The second one I had to show him on their website. You have to ship at a level that requires a signature, the one I just did was $140 insured. Prices have gotten insane.

Gorp2007

WKR
I always ship to their FFL via USPS. Sold a ton of guns, never had a problem.

Just confirm their FFL is willing to accept shipment from an individual before you send it. Also, make sure you include the contact info of your buyer inside the box so the FFL knows who to call when it arrives.

Unckebob

WKR
How much does it cost to ship a long gun? I am trying to re-home a Ruger long gun. It is pretty heavy.

atmat

WKR
How much does it cost to ship a long gun? I am trying to re-home a Ruger long gun. It is pretty heavy.
Depends where you’re shipping to, overall length, and weight.

If you have a really long gun, you can always take it apart (I.e. barreled action and stock on a rifle) and fit into a smaller box to cut costs.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
What ya selling? I have been borrowing my buddy’s ruger in 30-06 and been contemplating a gift to myself