Sell Swaro EL for Zeiss SFL? Crazy?

I have a pair of Swaro 8.5 x 42s. Excellent binoculars no doubt. My only gripe is the speed of the focus. When hunting in the woods, I miss having a faster focus.

I’ve heard good things about the Zeiss SFL 8x40s. Very light and a fast focus.

Crazy to sell a Swaro for a near alpha Zeiss for non optical performance qualities?

BadEarth

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried tried the SFL but my SF focus and feel were part of the reason I chose them over swaro. They’re so comfy and when you use them for countless hours each year ergonomics should play a factor.

JGRaider

WKR
I have a pair of Swaro 8.5 x 42s. Excellent binoculars no doubt. My only gripe is the speed of the focus. When hunting in the woods, I miss having a faster focus.

I’ve heard good things about the Zeiss SFL 8x40s. Very light and a fast focus.

Crazy to sell a Swaro for a near alpha Zeiss for non optical performance qualities?
Fast focus is for birdwatchers.

OP
General RE LEE
I just updated my post from last year - this year I bought brand new EL 8.5x42 and SFL 8x40 and took them both hunting.

It’s a tossup to me for 8’s, have a read if you’re interested in what I saw. This topic is post 57 on page 3.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...or-me-answering-swaro-zeiss-gpo-maven.275417/

Great write up. After I started this thread I went on my porch and did some glassing with my Swaro ELs. These things are super nice and selling them now as season is in full swing will be a pain. I’ll keep them.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Bummed to hear edge to edge in the SFL wasn’t as good. Swaros always seem to dominate there.

I may still try some SFLs some day though.

Last edited:

Bluto

WKR
Great write up. After I started this thread I went on my porch and did some glassing with my Swaro ELs. These things are super nice and selling them now as season is in full swing will be a pain. I’ll keep them.
There’s zero chance you won’t be happy with them. Funny, I just did the same as I boxed them up and yeah, they’re wonderful binos. The reputation is deserved.

Bummed to hear edge to edge in the SFL wasn’t as good. Swaros always seem to dominate there.

I may still try some SFLs some day though.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve personally tried any that are as no kidding 100% clear to the edge like Swaro. (Disclaimer - I haven’t tried Leica.)

For a guy like me too is predominantly looking in the timber and shorter distances, it isn’t as big if a factor. If it is for you, there’s no argument the Swaro is full edge to edge. It just wasn’t a sticking point for me.

If we are honest with ourselves about it binocular choices should be made IRT how we will most often use them. For hunting “the woods” the Zeiss SFL 8x40 is my ”go-to” glass. In that environment it does just about everything I need exceptionally well - very bright, quick/easy/sharp view, very accurate and saturated colors, superb haptics and handling, and I even prefer the touch of its skin. I personally would chose it over the EL for that use every time. Feel my SF is a better all-around binocular than either the EL or SFL, but would still reach for my SFL to bowhunt the woods.

If focus is your main desire and it provides a better one, sure. It all depends on your particular use case. I actually had Zeiss 8x42 Victory SF's and EL 10x50s at the same time and ended up selling the Zeiss to keep the ELs. Part of that is the 50mm objective lenses though since I do wear glasses and have different considerations for binos than people who don't.