"Sell" me on your outdoors smart watch

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I am runner, 1000+ miles a year, marathons ect. I have had the same Forerunner 235 for about five years., love it. It isn't an "outdoors watch" doesn't have a barometer or weather, but everything else is the same. other than a Bluetooth connectivity glitch every once in a while it has been bomb proof. I dont fiddle with it all the time or obsess over the apps ect. I look at the connect and strava apps once or twice a day or after a run. they are an excellent piece of technology. you dont have to let them run your life.

Started put timex expedition for years. When they'd break or become to beat up, buy a new one.

Then I tried a garmin venue. Subdued but a smart watch. Wasn't bad, wasn't great, but always ticked. Seen every dirt, mud, rock, welding, grinding, blood guts and oils a person would run into and kept on ticking.

Until one it just lost "touch" function.

Jumped to the instinct 2 from garmin, over considering gshock or instinct2. Glad I went that route. Like a smart version of a gshock, very happy with the screen style and layouts over the flashy multicolor, on/off screen if you move your wrist wrong or too quick, smartwatches of the world.
garmin-venu-2-plus-leader.jpgSmartSelect_20230301_200428_Chrome.jpg

Screen comparison

Last edited:

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the Garmin Fenix 6X and it’s nice. I don’t use a lot of the features on it but the HR thing is nice and so are the weather and sunset/sunrise apps. I don’t think I’d buy it for myself but since it was a gift from the wife I’ll hold onto it for a bit

I dont fiddle with it all the time or obsess over the apps ect. I look at the connect and strava apps once or twice a day or after a run. they are an excellent piece of technology. you dont have to let them run your life.

Yup

since it was a gift from the wife I’ll hold onto for a bit
This is what I read. Was thinking, "damn, alright okay.."

2ski

WKR
I have a Fenix 6, I like it.

I got it for running the bird dogs and hiking. Pan was to keep wearing my Sekio Automatic.

The Sekio is dusty now.

I definitely don't use all the features, but I find it useful and unintrusive.

Do you guys know if the Phoenix has any advantage over the instinct when it comes to pairing with the alpha 200i?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all run Astros because of field trials, but my friends and I have a pretty even mix of Fenix and Instinct. No functional differences in connecting.

Don't even have to pair, just have them close.

I used to have a Suunto Core. A few years ago I bought the Garmin Instinct. My bird dogs collar/tracker syncs up to it and shows me her distance/direction and I get a notification that she’s on point which is super handy.
I quoted everyone that mentioned dog collar pairing. I bought the 200i and am giving serious thought to buying a Fenix 7. But do I need that much watch? I want to be able to see direction and distance of my dog without having to look at the screen of the handlheld unit all the time. Just at a glance.

psirus7

WKR
I use my Fenix 6X Pro for running, cycling, and hiking. It's nice to have to grab a nav fix in the backcountry. The 6X Pro can be found on sake under $400 and has a 21-day battery life.

2ski

WKR
I run a forerunner 235 currently. I bought it for hikes and I like it. I've replaced the watch band once. Probably need to do it again. It's been 5 or 6 or so years. The only issue I have is the step count doesn’t always work anymore after a charge. I also have a Samsung watch because my brother got one and they were buy 1 get 1 free. The Samsung doesn't alot more. Isn't as accurate on the step count I don't think. And only last about a day and a half under normal weekday use. And the Garmin is way more comfortable.

LoggerDan

WKR
@2ski a Garmin forerunner 745. Have the box and manual and charger. It was a gift, but I’m not into it or most tech at all. I didn’t even wear It working out.
The Woman got it for me, it I haven’t worn a watch in two decades. It’s not for me. It may be easy for most people to use, but I just don’t like it. Maybe I wore it twice. I think she gave 165 for it here in anchorage. She tossed the receipt. I’d of rather gotten a box of 375’s. Message me if you like.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I quoted everyone that mentioned dog collar pairing. I bought the 200i and am giving serious thought to buying a Fenix 7. But do I need that much watch? I want to be able to see direction and distance of my dog without having to look at the screen of the handlheld unit all the time. Just at a glance.
The instinct will show you distance and direction.

Attachments

• 9A2D0802-3D4C-4D8E-83B4-7970543B03E2.jpeg
    9A2D0802-3D4C-4D8E-83B4-7970543B03E2.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 28

2ski

WKR
@2ski a Garmin forerunner 745. Have the box and manual and charger. It was a gift, but I’m not into it or most tech at all. I didn’t even wear It working out.
The Woman got it for me, it I haven’t worn a watch in two decades. It’s not for me. It may be easy for most people to use, but I just don’t like it. Maybe I wore it twice. I think she gave 165 for it here in anchorage. She tossed the receipt. I’d of rather gotten a box of 375’s. Message me if you like.
Looks like that one isn't compatible with the dog collars so it wouldn't work for what I need. Otherwise I'd be interested.

Grumman

WKR
I wore an Apple Watch Series 3 until it started flaking out recently. The new series battery life isn’t known to be good. I found a Garmin Epix2 on sale and splurged. I’m really liking it so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Which collar system do you use and do you find it handy to have the handheld unit and the watch?
I have a Alpha 200i and T5 collar. I love the watch, it also notifies me when my dog goes on point. I put the handheld in a pouch on my vest and pretty much only use the watch.

You can lock the screen of the 200i and use the three buttons at the top for any corrections for your dog and fully customize those correction types and levels.

I definitely don't need or use everything the Fenix does over an Instinct.

But I find the display more pleasant to look at.

Whats the battery life on the solar instinct running gps?what if your in the woods for 5-7 days and using gps alot,does the solar keep up?

TJfromTX

FNG
I currently have a Fenix 6 Pro and overall its a great watch and gives me great info. (received it as a gift)

My previous watch was a Garmin Instinct (Gen 1 in Tundra) which I really liked, and wore for about a year, excellent watch. Tons of functionality just a little simpler to manage. (I'll be posting the Instinct to sell in the near future as I don't need 2 smartwatches)

I'd say either one is a solid bet, and Garmin makes great stuff, the phone App is easy to use as well.

OP
cfdjay

cfdjay

WKR
Anyone familiar with Suunto? I get a really good deal on them and have been eyeing the 9 Peak Pro.
I just don't know anything about them and only online reviews I can find are not outdoorsmen.