Seekins Havak PH2 vs….

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a new Seekins PH2 in 6.5 PRC for an all around hunting rig to replace my 300 WM (recoil is a little too much for me to shoot well). Figured before I pull the trigger I’d see if anyone has any other recommendations.

I know the Springfield Waypoint is a similar rifle in a similar price point but I’ve never been impressed with a single thing Springfield has done so I don’t have much interest there.

Are there any other options in the sub $2k lightweight hunting rifle category I should take a look at?

sveltri

WKR
Looking at getting a new Seekins PH2 in 6.5 PRC for an all around hunting rig to replace my 300 WM (recoil is a little too much for me to shoot well). Figured before I pull the trigger I’d see if anyone has any other recommendations.

I know the Springfield Waypoint is a similar rifle in a similar price point but I’ve never been impressed with a single thing Springfield has done so I don’t have much interest there.

Are there any other options in the sub $2k lightweight hunting rifle category I should take a look at?
I was in the same boat and considered Bergera, Fierce, Springfield, and Seekins. Went with Seekins and couldn’t be happier. One driver for me was being able to load long due to their magazine.

KenLee

WKR

I'm with you on not wanting any modern Springfield. Of al the firearms that have passed through my hands, the only Springfield I kept is a 1942 Garand.

I was not impressed with the springfield action. There was a ph2 in 6.5 cm in our gun shop used with rings for $1500 the other day. I was sooooo tempted. I don't particularly care for the cartridge but it has a lot of advantages. I would like to try a 6.5 PRC however. Mine is a 300wm and you definitely don't go shoot 40 rounds in a session (although I have) much. but I find it manageable. I just stated in another thread, it'd take something really nice to sway me from Seekins at that price point.

KenLee

WKR
I was not impressed with the springfield action. There was a ph2 in 6.5 cm in our gun shop used with rings for $1500 the other day. I was sooooo tempted. I don't particularly care for the cartridge but it has a lot of advantages. I would like to try a 6.5 PRC however. Mine is a 300wm and you definitely don't go shoot 40 rounds in a session (although I have) much. but I find it manageable. I just stated in another thread, it'd take something really nice to sway me from Seekins at that price point.
TO ME, the 6.5 PRC kicks practically the same as a 30-06 in the same rifle. I have too many trusty 270 and 30-06 rifles to bother with the 6.5 prc, as I no longer "send it loooong".

From a weight perspective it's all about barrel length. A carbon barrel rifle tends to weigh the same as it's "cousin" rifle running a steel fluted barrel of the same length. Then you start getting into the gucci metal variants that may save you some weight. Optics choices can make up the differences as well. Save a few ounces here, gain them back over here...

I've got a trued/blueprinted R700 w/carbon that runs side-by-side in every way to my PH2. Each have their own feel, for me...I'm trying to stop liking them both. You won't see me selling either one.

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
From a weight perspective it's all about barrel length. A carbon barrel rifle tends to weigh the same as it's "cousin" rifle running a steel fluted barrel of the same length. Then you start getting into the gucci metal variants that may save you some weight. Optics choices can make up the differences as well. Save a few ounces here, gain them back over here...

I've got a trued/blueprinted R700 w/carbon that runs side-by-side in every way to my PH2. Each have their own feel, for me...I'm trying to stop liking them both. You won't see me selling either one.
How much do you have in that 700 build with the carbon barrel? I’ve considered doing something in that realm but anytime I can come up with something that I think would be better for me than the Seekins it costs 1k more.

If you want to get a rifle that you want to keep stock, I think seekins is hard to argue against, it would be tough for me in your position to get a seekins or a tikka and aftermarket stock… the rokstock would be the determining factor for me in the future, because a tikka in a rok would give you some ammo/reloading money to spend

Rangerwebb

FNG
Classified Approved

Rangerwebb

FNG
Classified Approved
I have owned this particular rifle for a few years now. I can report that it has displayed moa accuracy with every brand of off the shelf ammunition I have tried. Initially, I considered a brake to mitigate recoil when I bought it. Though after shooting a few rounds, I decided against it- not sure if it’s the stock design or the ready to hunt weight but I really don’t notice the recoil at all

How much do you have in that 700 build with the carbon barrel? I’ve considered doing something in that realm but anytime I can come up with something that I think would be better for me than the Seekins it costs 1k more.

Since I bought the R700 used I can't say specifically. I will not argue the Seekins wins in the $$$ spent department. If someone asked me "what should I do?"...I can say spend what you want. Either rifle will do the work. Seekins is almost out the box ready to rock, just add optics. I wanted to speak to the weight comparing a R700 carbon build to a Seekins PH2 with steel.

Given people can save $1000 out the door, that's good money to spend on optics.