Seekins element 7mm prc

bmart2622

WKR
With a backpack or something as a rear support that setup will work just fine. You can get a little more cant with it mounted further back though.

OP
Christenson9
Well it all boils down to balance. You are putting a ton of stress on the tip of that stock. Most of the weight is unsupported. The stock is flexing under all that weight. Any slight breeze, your heartbeat, your breathing, etc is going to make that rifle move, and those movements will be magnified due to your attachment point. A more balanced anchor will be far more stable, much easier to shoot accurately.
I totally understand that it’s not balanced. But I chose the smaller rail on the forehand over the full length rail for balance. So far so good. But thanks!

OP
Christenson9
What height of mtngear bipod did you go with? I’m interested in buying one as well, but haven’t decided on height.

I also put the front rail on and was wondering if my tripod could mount to it for my kids to shoot off of in a seated position. Not ideal since the weight doesn’t balance so far forward, but if it works it works

Mine is a 6.5 PRC Element, and absolutely loving it!
I went with the taller mountain version! I practiced shooting off the tripod today and it felt pretty solid with the rrs head. Might switch to a longer tail down the road. But I wanted to start with the smaller one to avoid more holes in my new rifle stock if I don’t need them! Enjoy your 6.5!

SDHNTR

WKR
Weird since thats where you mount a bipod and it’s pretty universally accepted that a bipod is a pretty stable platform. I guess I missed the post where he was asking for input on his plate/tripod set

Proper use of a bipod means with a rear bag. Big difference.

OP
Christenson9
Proper use of a bipod means with a rear bag. Big difference.
No offense sir but you might be mistaking your preferences for an industry standard. I wouldn’t said a bipods “Proper use” is with a rear support. And I wouldn’t say you “need a balance plate” do those things potentially help? Sure. But I wouldn’t be typing away telling people they are doing things wrong when they are just your opinion. Appreciate the input though.

OP
Christenson9
Zero knocking! Was only offering a suggestion to improve the set up. Relax man.
I can tell you’re coming from a place of good intention so thank you. But the delivery is clearly rubbing some people wrong. Might try to be more aware of that in the future. But thank you and I do appreciate your input.

SDHNTR

WKR
I can tell you’re coming from a place of good intention so thank you. But the delivery is clearly rubbing some people wrong. Might try to be more aware of that in the future. But thank you and I do appreciate your input.
Man, must be the off season. People are getting soft and thin skinned. Didn’t mean to offend sensibilities.

bmart2622

WKR
You didn't offend me!! Just have very little patience or tolerances for know it alls who very frequently throw their opinions around as facts. Anyway...thats a sweet rifle, 7PRC will be my next build. If you can post of some speeds if you get a chance.

OP
Christenson9
You didn't offend me!! Just have very little patience or tolerances for know it alls who very frequently throw their opinions around as facts. Anyway...thats a sweet rifle, 7PRC will be my next build. If you can post of some speeds if you get a chance.
Will do! Next time I take it out I will be getting it on a chronograph. Also debating cutting a brand new barrel to fit my 5.5 inch suppressor better. A bit nervous to do that though.

SDHNTR

WKR
Your fine man, I said thank you multiple times. I will look into this longer rails
Seriously, try it both ways. Like you have it now anchored at the tip of the forend, and try it again with the plate anchored as far back towards the receiver as you can. I think you’ll see what I mean. There is a night and day difference in stability. Same as there is shooting prone with a bipod and no rear bag versus with one.

And you don’t need a full length rail. You can just mount a small a S plate in front of your front action screw.