Seeking testimonials regarding Browning BAR (/ Winchester SXR2 semi) reliability in adverse conditions

Begle1

FNG
I live in Hawaii. Axis deer, goat, and hog hunting often borders on "eradication", and conditions can vary between high altitude, dry and long-distance, to crawling around with pigs in rain, mud and steam. But never any freezing weather at least.

I've been using a stainless/ composite bolt action for stalking deer in the clear areas and I acquired a stainless/ composite Mini30 to abuse while ambushing hogs and whacking through vegetation. But sometimes I cross between dry brushland and high-grass swamp on the same trek and find long shots on deer when I have my Mini and think wouldn't it be nice to have one rifle that could do it all? So I've been considering, among other things, one of these imported Euro Winchester SXR2's, which I gather shares enough mechanically with a Browning BAR that I can ask about the BAR as a proxy.

My question is, would a rifle like this survive being rolled around in mud, pushed through thickets and getting rained on? Would it be possible to keep one from rusting over the long term? Is there a good way to field strip one and dry it out after going for a swim in an irrigation ditch? What could I really expect?

I don't have any personal experience with those, but if you're dealing with Hawaii's gun regulations and still want a semi-auto, CMMG came out with a couple of guns that largely seem designed to get around AR bans, called the Dissent. The BR3 Dissent is larger, for .308, 6.5CM, etc, while the BR4 is the smaller frame variant, and comes in some cool rounds that might be perfect for you if you're looking for something bigger than .223, including 6ARC and 6.5 Grendel.

OP
B

Begle1

FNG
Hawaii doesn't actually have any bans on guns with barrels longer than 16". So most of the logical thought progressions for what I want end with a Ruger SFAR. But for the sake of ergonomics, travel possibilities, and other hard-to-state reasons I am exploring options before I end up there.

A cheap BAR variant in 30-06 with 10 round magazines available that weighs 8.5 lbs with a scope is a somewhat tempting proposition. If it would survive getting drenched and muddy on the regular, which I'm skeptical of.

I'm also considering trading my Mini for one in 6.8 SPC, or maybe converting my current one to 6.5 Grendel.

What I really want is a simple stainless/ synthetic newer version of a Winchester 100-type gun in 308 or similar that takes droppable mags, weighs 7 pounds, and shoots better than 2 moa. But as far as I can tell those specs don't exist outside of a lightweight AR10. (Or perhaps a Remington Woodsmaster, particularly a "Weathermaster", which I have also been considering and have read so many positive things about.)

Ultimately I'll probably end up doing nothing. But I'm hoping to fall in love with something.

The Dissents are neat. A little on the chonky and expensive side.

They are a bit on the expensive side, for sure. I've also enjoyed various Minis over the years, so please take what I say next with that in mind: The AR is a far more reliable platform than any of the guns you've mentioned. Keep the dust cover closed, and keep it lubed, and it's essentially a closed system where mud really can't get into the friction surfaces. Most of the hate on the reliability of the design since Vietnam generally came without the guys realizing it was due to the gas systems being shot out and leaky/inefficient. Not saying any of this to be contrarian, but they're super reliable and just about the most accurate semi-auto you can ask for, especially if you make that a criteria on one you'd select.

That said, falling in love with a given gun design has a satisfaction and quality all its own.