Seek Outside Silex

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The dimensions are a bit deceiving. The big question I have is the setup space. When looking for a space to set up a Silex or an Eolus, how much difference is necessary? It would seem the Eolus might be about the same space requirements as the Cimarron.

Ok that dimension is deceiving . It’s only about half the size of a cimarron . Setup space required is about the same as a two person hubba hubba . The silex is roomy though and has about 56 inch ridge line between poles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Kevin! Does the Eolus have a smaller footprint than the Cimarron?

Yes eolus is a smaller footprint than cimarron as well but larger than the silex ... although the silex likely feels roomier as a solo user because it’s really all reachable

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Likely have photos end of this week early next . Dimensions are really sort of deceiving because it will be on the diagonal . In general 9’6 length and 48 wide at widest but it’s shaped so more like 7 ft for a pad and then some extra space at ends and in center

Will the inner have the partial solid walls like the eolus? Also why did you guys choose not to use apex vents? Thanks.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It will have a solid inner over the top and mesh side that is vertical .

Apex vent just wasn’t needed that much . The bottom venting is really more effective

HookUp

WKR
I ordered one this morning as soon as it came out. Possibility the ultimate solo shelter!

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
It will have a solid inner over the top and mesh side that is vertical .

Apex vent just wasn’t needed that much . The bottom venting is really more effective

So there won't be a partial solid side wall? Thats a bummer. I don't understand the approach. Why a solid "roof" section and mesh walls? I always find the partial solid walls do a great job of blocking wind and keeping the shelter warmer. Especially since this has no apex vents. A partial wall would allow you to bottom vent without letting wind, dirt, snow, etc. Into the shelter.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So there won't be a partial solid side wall? Thats a bummer. I don't understand the approach. Why a solid "roof" section and mesh walls? I always find the partial solid walls do a great job of blocking wind and keeping the shelter warmer. Especially since this has no apex vents. A partial wall would allow you to bottom vent without letting wind, dirt, snow, etc. Into the shelter.

Solid points on your part . Mostly the thinking is / was that the tent pitches fairly tight to ground . I’ll bring it up and am not opposed to small side wall . It does increase cost due to complexity and the DWR is so hard to stick a zipper in well

parshal

WKR
Especially since this has no apex vents.

Hey SCOGS, have you found the apex vents to be useful? I've have/had a lot of SO shelters and all had the apex vents and I never found them to do much. I've always raised the bottom in warm weather. Please don't take my question as an argument.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Hey SCOGS, have you found the apex vents to be useful? I've have/had a lot of SO shelters and all had the apex vents and I never found them to do much. I've always raised the bottom in warm weather. Please don't take my question as an argument.
It was more of a question about the apex vents. I dont know if they are effective because every tent ive ever owned has had them so i just assumed.

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
How does the room/interior space in the silex compare to the LBO w/ base+ vestibule and the silvertip?

Well I ordered one as well. Went with the standard with the stove cut. Looks like an awesome solo shelter!

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Solid top keeps any condensation that does form off the sleeping area. Eolus nest really needs partial solid sides due to 1. Drafts since it doesn't pitch tight to ground, and 2. Privacy if someone is in a campground, etc.

Silex pitches tight to ground with a 120-130 cm pole, or pitches high with a lot of ventilation with a 135-140, so the partial sidewalls weren't needed and in hot weather would cut down airflow.

OP
RockChucker30

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How does the room/interior space in the silex compare to the LBO w/ base+ vestibule and the silvertip?

Silvertip is 70 sqft and LBO + Vest is 74, Silex is 49.

IMO the Silex is all usable space or "reachable space" and that makes it feel bigger. It's a good size for solo use with a lot of gear.

Canopy only weight will run 10-11 oz less than LBO or Silvertip which pretty major when talking about these size shelters.

For mostly cold weather hot tent use or expected very bad weather I'd pick Silvertip due to sod skirt, extra room, and more stake points. For very mixed use, solo, two person hot tent, four person hot tent, I'd buy into the LBO modularity. For a very light early to mid/late season solo tent the Silex is awesome.

There will be some who run two people in the Silex, but at 6'3" I'm at the upper limit of sleeping on the offset when there is heavy rain. I'd prefer more head / foot clearance. Solo on the diagonal it'll sleep a 7 footer.

parshal

WKR
Thanks Rockchucker, that's a great summary of it's use.

I've used an LBO/vestibule for solo use the last two years. During archery, I usually leave the vestibule unzipped. I was told the Silex will feel/be the same space on the inside as they LBO/vestibule. Is that your feeling as well?