Seek Outside Redcliff

We have 3rd and fourth season rifle tags here in Colorado, this will be essentially my first rifle season, i was going to order the XL stove. None of you have wanted more than the sXL?

I hunt the Alberta rockies. We use a SXL stove from end of ivy season until it gets real cold, then we are into a bigger non-packable stove/bigger tent.

An XL will hold more wood, but it is the same length of wood. I thought about getting the higher sides so we could use an XL when we want, and the SXL otherwise, but truthfully, with all our cold weather crap in our pack, the weight is about as high as I want with an SXL. Both the SXL and the XL will need regular refilling to keep it going anyway.

sndmn11

WKR
I hunt the Alberta rockies. We use a SXL stove from end of ivy season until it gets real cold, then we are into a bigger non-packable stove/bigger tent.

An XL will hold more wood, but it is the same length of wood. I thought about getting the higher sides so we could use an XL when we want, and the SXL otherwise, but truthfully, with all our cold weather crap in our pack, the weight is about as high as I want with an SXL. Both the SXL and the XL will need regular refilling to keep it going anyway.

Thank you

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks for all the feedback guys! . .

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go with the Redcliff. I think my one last decision to make is what size stove to go with. With the Redcliff they recommend the L or the SXL. When I called customer service they recommended getting the SXL. I was thinking of going that way but I can save 8oz with the L. Also, if I ever want to buy the Cimmaron it would work better with that shelter, but mostly the weight savings seems attractive since I still want it to be a backpacking tent. What do you guys think? Is it that much more difficult to keep the tent warm with the L? Do you have to feed it that much more? It would weigh in at 8lbs 3 oz with the SXL, pole, stakes, and tent and a half pound lighter with the L.

I think you'll be fine with the L size stove. Burn time will be more affected by the fuel you use. Burn twigs and any stove will burn out fast. If you process some larger firewood, and get a coal bed established, it will hold heat for a while.

Our SXL has burned for over three hours on larger wood, and it wasn't filled all the way up either.

aHhEUJy.jpg

fY935dX.jpg

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I think you'll be fine with the L size stove. Burn time will be more affected by the fuel you use. Burn twigs and any stove will burn out fast. If you process some larger firewood, and get a coal bed established, it will hold heat for a while.

Our SXL has burned for over three hours on larger wood, and it wasn't filled all the way up either.

aHhEUJy.jpg

fY935dX.jpg

I talked to the SO guys and they said its only about a 5oz difference between the SXL and L. So I figure the 5oz is worth it and I'll go with the SXL.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I’m in Western WA and use my SO 6-man Tipi from the Olympic peninsula to Montana. I love the floor plan of the Redcliff. I think it does have a functional interior space than my tipi. That said, I’ve not had a lick of problems with bugs and I am only running a liner, no nest. They’re steering you right on the SXL, fwiw. You’re gonna love it!

Signed, a Seek Outside fanboy that has run their 6-man, cimarron, and DST.

What do you think of the screen doors? I would be running it at all times of the year, East and West side of Oregon. I plan on buying the Liner and the nest to go with it.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Tick area = nest, no screens.

No ticks but frequent mosquitoes = screens.

Cold enough to want the stove, you usually won't need a nest or screens.

I talked to the SO guys and they said its only about a 5oz difference between the SXL and L. So I figure the 5oz is worth it and I'll go with the SXL.

The bigger door on the SXL is nice when you are just setting up your kindling and getting a fire going. Makes it a bit easier to get your hands in there.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! . .

I've pretty much decided that I'm going to go with the Redcliff. I think my one last decision to make is what size stove to go with. With the Redcliff they recommend the L or the SXL. When I called customer service they recommended getting the SXL. I was thinking of going that way but I can save 8oz with the L. Also, if I ever want to buy the Cimmaron it would work better with that shelter, but mostly the weight savings seems attractive since I still want it to be a backpacking tent. What do you guys think? Is it that much more difficult to keep the tent warm with the L? Do you have to feed it that much more? It would weigh in at 8lbs 3 oz with the SXL, pole, stakes, and tent and a half pound lighter with the L.

I went with the SXL. I have both the Redcliff and Cimmaron. I am now looking to pick up a medium stove (only a few ounces lighter than the large). In my experience, the SXL in the red cliff is amazing. And for the weight difference it was the right choice for us. Now that being said, I am looking for a medium because its MUCH lighter. If I am going to run a big stove in the cimmaron during our dec-jan elk hunt then we will bring the SXL and split the weight over two people. Then just me, I can run the Cimmaron and a medium stove and still be happy. The big difference is we purchased the red cliff and sxl because when those are in use together, we have 3-5 people so weight was not as much a penalty.

I feel the sweet spot on the stoves for either system is Medium + SXL. It gives you enough difference in each to make each have a place. Going with a Large you'll always wonder if you should have gotten the SXL or there will be times when you see how hot the large gets and think you could have gotten away with the medium... Life : )

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I went with the SXL. I have both the Redcliff and Cimmaron. I am now looking to pick up a medium stove (only a few ounces lighter than the large). In my experience, the SXL in the red cliff is amazing. And for the weight difference it was the right choice for us. Now that being said, I am looking for a medium because its MUCH lighter. If I am going to run a big stove in the cimmaron during our dec-jan elk hunt then we will bring the SXL and split the weight over two people. Then just me, I can run the Cimmaron and a medium stove and still be happy. The big difference is we purchased the red cliff and sxl because when those are in use together, we have 3-5 people so weight was not as much a penalty.

I feel the sweet spot on the stoves for either system is Medium + SXL. It gives you enough difference in each to make each have a place. Going with a Large you'll always wonder if you should have gotten the SXL or there will be times when you see how hot the large gets and think you could have gotten away with the medium... Life : )

Yep. I feel like whichever stove I chose I will love it but also wish I had another at times.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What about lots of ticks and lots of mosquitos. . .at the same time. :cool:

Nest. Nest deals with both. I can deal with mosquitoes, but hate ticks.

If car camping, I mix a 1 gallon spray jug with permethrin from a farm supply store and spray the footprint area before pitching. Citronella candles or a thermacell help some too.

Last edited:
You guys arent helping, all this looks awesome. On the list is the Redcliff, 6 man tipi, or an 8 man. Maybe a Kifaru Sawtooth.

I dont do any serious backpack hunting or camping but I might and I only need space for two currently.

I’m leaning Redcliffe because it has the space, two doors, and lighter than a six man in case I do pack in somewhere, someday.

Im looking at the package that has the stove and the half liner since this will be my first floorless shelter. Anyone have comments on getting the half liner?

I’ll be hunting the dry deserts of Nevada, the steep mountains of Idaho, with the occasional trip to southwest Utah.

Do these things ever go on sale?

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
In warmer, drier climates, there are more creepy crawlers around. I used my Redcliff on June in Utah and wouldn't go without a nest.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk