Seek Outside Guardian floorless shelter review ***updated 1/22/23***

The Guardian review is live!

Seek Outside Guardian Review
Thanks for the review. How would you compare this to the cimarron. I already have a mld duomid for solo use and 6 man tipi for a larger camp. I'm looking for a 2 man shelter that can run early to late season and use a stove when needed. I can't decide between the two. Me and my boy are 6'1" not sure if space is an issue. Thanks

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. How would you compare this to the cimarron. I already have a mld duomid for solo use and 6 man tipi for a larger camp. I'm looking for a 2 man shelter that can run early to late season and use a stove when needed. I can't decide between the two. Me and my boy are 6'1" not sure if space is an issue. Thanks
You may be better matched with a Cimarron if both of you are 6'1". You'd fit in the Guardian without a problem but have more elbow room in the Cimarron. If you want to save space and weight in the pack then the Guardian would be a better choice. One last consideration is the use of a stove in a nested shelter...if it might be in your future, buy the Cimarron with a half nest as a stove and nest are not compatible in the Guardian.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for a great review. I want one, but certainly don't "need" one as I already have a DCF Silex, DCF Cimmaron, and a Redcliff.

Thanks for a great review. I want one, but certainly don't "need" one as I already have a DCF Silex, DCF Cimmaron, and a Redcliff.
How are you liking your dcf cimarron? I hesitated to long on the presale and missed out. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a lite or wait for more dcf

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
How are you liking your dcf cimarron? I hesitated to long on the presale and missed out. Now I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a lite or wait for more dcf
I really like how the DCF pitches, plus it is lighter than the Guardian. A friend has the lite. The differences are what one would expect between DCF and sil-nylon. I have not ran a stove in my DCF Cimmaron yet, it makes me a touch nervous as all the soft wood up here makes a lot of ash.

For me, if you don't need it soon, I would wait for a DCF. Though, getting the lite will leave a lot of money in the budget for other gear while still giving you a great shelter. I justified the DCF because I'm the pack mule when going out with my family.

DeePow

FNG
It’s a non-issue. There are occasional condensation issues but I never had significant dripping from the ridge line. The review should be published any day now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did you always run the nest while camping? If not, was there still limited condensation?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you always run the nest while camping? If not, was there still limited condensation?
I used the nest mostly in buggy conditions. Without it there was limited condensation. The most occurred with wet heavy snow storms but most of the fall weather was light to moderate levels.

Okay Josh. Lets pretend you want a shelter big enough to sit up and eat in, big enough for your stove and all your wood for 3 days plus all your gear for one guy. Its gonna be used in heavy snow and the weight of the shelter in your pack is of no concern. Also you hate sag in the wet weather. Okay its really me. 😌 Cimarron or Guardian?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Okay Josh. Lets pretend you want a shelter big enough to sit up and eat in, big enough for your stove and all your wood for 3 days plus all your gear for one guy. Its gonna be used in heavy snow and the weight of the shelter in your pack is of no concern. Also you hate sag in the wet weather. Okay its really me. Cimarron or Guardian?

You ask some hard questions…. The Guardian would work in that situation without any issues. But the Cimarron excels in the category of interior space and also allows for an up-size stove. Both will have plenty of area for gear but the Cimarron will have more headroom. And if you hate sag think about finding one in Dyneema.

You ask some hard questions…. The Guardian would work in that situation without any issues. But the Cimarron excels in the category of interior space and also allows for an up-size stove. Both will have plenty of area for gear but the Cimarron will have more headroom. And if you hate sag think about finding one in Dyneema.

Sorry Josh. The reason I put that question to you is because I found an old review you did on the Cimarron and it seemed less than favorable than similar tarps and I already own a Cimarron, just have never had a chance to use it.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Josh. The reason I put that question to you is because I found an old review you did on the Cimarron and it seemed less than favorable than similar tarps and I already own a Cimarron, just have never had a chance to use it.
Fair point, but I do love the Cimarron. My criticisms in that review were small issues that surface when I am being ultra-critical. The is no perfect product and I need to find something to write about. 🤷‍♂️