Season - 2021

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
a5a0c812f8b8ecde0dbe68269a1ff471.jpg

3rd was an oldie that actually was wedged up under a big rock. Glasses it up. Snow melt or heavy rain must have washed it up under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
1ba9abea3c25ce8ba3bd88465ddecd88.jpg

#4 was a good one. High 50’s, bit broke fork.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
070a4489ec609fce6aa7b2c69b82fc83.jpg

#5 from a distance I was hoping it was a match to the bigger, but nope.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
98a7fbfe81510bf126a738aa9f7e2b12.jpg

Glassed this one up a cpl minutes later. #6

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
8e4cc6fa8a5c5d497f204136877c2f6b.jpg

#8, we missed last year, and the year before lol

Last edited:

scalxndr

FNG
I am contemplating if a summer scouting trip down to the unit(s) I plan to hunt, is it really worth it?

Emanon

FNG
From California, been hunting eastern whitetails with my dad for years but want to get out and hunt Elk. My dad always wanted to go but now with two replaced knees and same on the shoulders... he is pushing me to go after one without him. I have some family in Western Oregon so I am trying to get out there and go after a Roosevelt. Overwhelmed and a bit intimidated currently just due to a lack of knowledge of the area... we will see if that can wear away!

Tried to get on a friends hunt as a pack mule but he wasn't in need. Trying to gain some practical understanding.

gbugosh1

FNG
Planning a trip out to CO for OTC Archery Elk season. This will be our first trip out West. Any advice on Units or places to start would be greatly appreciated!
Upper Yampa (4, 5, 13, 14, 15, 131, 214,) has lots of public lands + elk pop. is higher than the target.

Planning my first trip out to CO this year. Trying for unit 43 first rifle in to draw, but I’ll brave the OTC horde if necessary. Just tired of eastern whitetail “hunting”.
Goodluck! I have looked at that unit alot just never been out to scout. Where are you coming from?

Planning my first trip out to CO this year. Trying for unit 43 first rifle in to draw, but I’ll brave the OTC horde if necessary. Just tired of eastern whitetail “hunting”.
I hunted this area last year for 2nd rifle. Didnt get anything but saw tons of sign. Dont stop moving till you get on sign and then camp on it!! moon phases for us meant elk were only out after dark. If i was to do it again i would spend more time out after dark, but i guess you will have to see if they are answering calls too

Derbooze

FNG
I am contemplating if a summer scouting trip down to the unit(s) I plan to hunt, is it really worth it?
I'd like to know too. But I am going regardless. I figure the elk will be in a different place in the summer than when I hunt, but I can at least get a lay of the land. You can't see all the watering holes from aerial photos after all!

FWTXN

FNG
Last year was my first year ever elk hunting. I hunted OTC in CO during the 2nd rifle season, and there were a lot of hunters without much success. Hopefully this year will be better.

Maidenfan539

Super Moderator
Staff member
Headed to the Montana units a buddy and I are hunting this afternoon for some scouting. First time elk hunters so our plan is to get to the way points I've e-scouted and have a look around. Certainly isn't going to hurt.