Sealskinz review…

Wore my high calf ones today over a pair of a medium weight smart wools inside my Orvis ultralights. Walked about a mile with them almost fully submerged. Got back to house and feet 100% dry.

unfortunately the Orvis boots get pretty heavy once wetted out. I’m a bit surprised by that. Not so heavy that it’ll be a problem, just heavier than I had suspected. Also found a neat piece of pottery on my walk and harvested 10-12 pounds of modeling clay that’s been sifted and is currently settling.

Wore my high calf ones today over a pair of a medium weight smart wools inside my Orvis ultralights. Walked about a mile with them almost fully submerged. Got back to house and feet 100% dry.

unfortunately the Orvis boots get pretty heavy once wetted out. I’m a bit surprised by that. Not so heavy that it’ll be a problem, just heavier than I had suspected. Also found a neat piece of pottery on my walk and harvested 10-12 pounds of modeling clay that’s been sifted and is currently settling.
THAT'S what I wanted to see! Thanks for putting them to the test. If you do more testing, let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Ryan

Voyageur

WKR

Old thread, I know.
Which high calf sealskinz socks did you wear? I am deciding right now between all weather, cold weather, or extreme cold weather sealskinz. I want to make sure they are thick enough to take up the extra room in my wading boot when the neoprene stocking foot is not there. I’m leaning towards their extreme cold weather sock, but also want to make sure the sock isn’t too thick thus making the boot too tight.
Thanks.

fwafwow

WKR
Old thread, I know.
Which high calf sealskinz socks did you wear? I am deciding right now between all weather, cold weather, or extreme cold weather sealskinz. I want to make sure they are thick enough to take up the extra room in my wading boot when the neoprene stocking foot is not there. I’m leaning towards their extreme cold weather sock, but also want to make sure the sock isn’t too thick thus making the boot too tight.
Thanks.
Did you pick one? I'm comparing the options currently.

Voyageur

WKR
Did you pick one? I'm comparing the options currently.
Yes. Both of us ended up going with the Chota knee high and they worked great. We hiked way more off river miles than I thought we would and never had a single blister.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Seal skins saved me big time on my second alaska trip. I wetted out my boots going hip deep in a beaver pond on day 1 and I was able to walk my boots dry and keep my feet dry with seal skins. I heard they were worth every ounce of weight and I have not done an alaska trip or snow trip without them since!

Voyageur

WKR
Seal skins saved me big time on my second alaska trip. I wetted out my boots going hip deep in a beaver pond on day 1 and I was able to walk my boots dry and keep my feet dry with seal skins. I heard they were worth every ounce of weight and I have not done an alaska trip or snow trip without them since!
Which model of the Sealskinz did you go with?
The Chota's I used this year worked great paired with my wading boots, but for those trips when I don't bring the waders I've always thought Sealskinz would be the solution for the beaver pond scenario (and similar situations) you described.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily go with the weather mid length sock but on cold days I like the worsted knee length sock. I've had the same 3 pairs for 8 years and they have held up great. i only use them when hunting so I haven't put hundreds of days on them but probably around a hundred days.