SD West River

barrettm95

Lil-Rokslider
Draw results should be soon given they are due by 7/2 and the Black Hills results are out. Been a tough draw year for me across the West, but hopeful that my 7 points sneak me into the unit I’ve been applying in for 7 years now.

Anyone else hopeful for a West River tag this year?

KurtR

WKR
I didnt apply just going to get points till deer numbers are worth going. I only live 10 minutes from the unit i hunt and have friends that ranch so i have a good idea of deer numbers before the app time. I will get an east river tag

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
We have a group applying this year for any deer tags. I used my points last year on a whitetail only tag and the numbers were definitely down. Mule deer numbers were pretty steady.

OP
B

barrettm95

Lil-Rokslider
We have a group applying this year for any deer tags. I used my points last year on a whitetail only tag and the numbers were definitely down. Mule deer numbers were pretty steady.
I agree; we didn’t have issues finding bucks while we had archery tags last year. I think it has been equally an issue of bucks moving to and staying in private ground due to less pressure and overall better habitat than deer numbers being down.

OP
B

barrettm95

Lil-Rokslider
I didnt apply just going to get points till deer numbers are worth going. I only live 10 minutes from the unit i hunt and have friends that ranch so i have a good idea of deer numbers before the app time. I will get an east river tag
Makes sense being so close to the unit you are applying in. For nonresidents I think it’s more of a have to keep applying to get the tag and work with what you got. Unit I’ve been applying for years seems to have held stable with numbers, but I’m also only there 10 days of the year.