First Time Mule Deer Hunt - DIY West River South Dakota

jse5019

FNG
Heading out in 11 days for the west river deer opener. A buddy and I have our first SD deer tags and are embarking on our first mule deer hunt. We have been e-scouting a ton and have talked to the local GFP officer for some additional information on our unit. We plan to pack in across a large section of BLM land and glass our eyes off to find deer but we will try and knock some doors for permission before season opens. I guess you never know unless you ask, right?? This weekend I’m packing and hitting the rifle range for the last time before our trip. Any general advice for a first time DIY, public land, tent camping mule deer hunter in SD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beagle001

FNG
Good luck! Don’t be married to one spot, hopefully you get decent weather. My last WR tag, we had 80 degrees… we also had a pile of residents hunting deer like they were pheasants. Expect pressure first couple days then you may have the place mostly to yourself

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
The weather in SD in November can be beautiful or brutal. I’d definitely have a backup plan for cold and snow. Have fun and be safe.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
E-scouting is a good tool but won't show you what the activity on the land was this past year cattle wise. You can find some good areas and you can find areas that would have potential but if cattle were in there all summer there won't be much cover left for deer. Western SD did have a very good year moisture wise though so that has definitely helped

Headings out in 11 days for the west river deer opener.

Any luck? Interested if you were able to get away from the craziness or if there were still a lot of hunters around? Seem like a lot of public gets hammered pretty hard these days

OP
J

jse5019

FNG
We chose what seemed to be the toughest access in our unit and saw 20+ hunters yesterday. Talked to a few who were leaving by Monday and today I have only seen 3 other hunters. We spotted one nice buck Friday night but have only glassed up does since. One group was packing out a solid muley buck yesterday afternoon. I found a shed this morning. We haven’t found any drinkable water and only have enough to get through two more days. After that we will probably relocate to another access. Definitely a challenging hunt but we still have 5.5 more days of hunting.

Talked to a few who were leaving by Monday
I’ve killed 40 or so deer in SD and a lot of hunters are SD residents and only hunt opening weekend. Week days are often comparatively ghost towns and the rest of the season is significantly reduced compared to opener. Also rug usually starts to pick up more and you get more deer movement. Good luck. Please follow up after!

OP
J

jse5019

FNG
Well, sometimes things change in an instant!

I was headed back to our campsite right at sunset, following a cattle path. I came around a bend and there was a buck standing on top of a small hump, on the same cattle path, looking straight at me. I couldn’t get a shot off before he bolted but I was able to catch up as he stood broadside on the side of a draw looking down at me. I missed (twice!) but he only moved slightly up the hill after each shot. Third shot I ranged him at 211 yards, had a better rest, and dropped him right where he stood. My first ever mule deer!

88e99cb925cb3174883d1b862dfd959e.jpg

Fatcamp

WKR
Well, sometimes things change in an instant!

I was headed back to our campsite right at sunset, following a cattle path. I came around a bend and there was a buck standing on top of a small hump, on the same cattle path, looking straight at me. I couldn’t get a shot off before he bolted but I was able to catch up as he stood broadside on the side of a draw looking down at me. I missed (twice!) but he only moved slightly up the hill after each shot. Third shot I ranged him at 211 yards, had a better rest, and dropped him right where he stood. My first ever mule deer!

88e99cb925cb3174883d1b862dfd959e.jpg

Awww, jealous! I want a big fork horn. He's a dandy!

eperro

FNG
Congrats, my buddy hunts SD and some of the bucks he sends me pictures of are absurd. Hope to make it out there one day.

OP
J

jse5019

FNG
Thank you all. I couldn’t be happy with this buck and the story to go with it. 13.1 miles later and all the meat is in coolers in the truck. Now to find one for my buddy!

Thats SD mule deer for ya. Whitetail will run to the next county if lightly bumped but muleys seem to show up at the truck and be generous is giving additional opportunity. Nice job!

OP
J

jse5019

FNG
Haha yeah I couldn’t believe he gave me so many chances!