SD non-resident archery cap

JENSEN

FNG
I put in and was drawn for a NR archery tag. It'll be my first time ever going after an antelope and am curious to hear more about what's going on with the numbers and also if anyone has any advice. I've looked around the forum and the general census I've gotten is set up on water or spot and stalk, avoid decoying if outside of the rut as it tends to spook rather than peak curiosity? Thanks in advance!

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
I put in and was drawn for a NR archery tag. It'll be my first time ever going after an antelope and am curious to hear more about what's going on with the numbers and also if anyone has any advice. I've looked around the forum and the general census I've gotten is set up on water or spot and stalk, avoid decoying if outside of the rut as it tends to spook rather than peak curiosity? Thanks in advance!
I also drew. We do spot and stalk, and have used decoys in the rut, which is fun. I'd go crazy in a blind on a water hole.

JENSEN

FNG
I also drew. We do spot and stalk, and have used decoys in the rut, which is fun. I'd go crazy in a blind on a water hole.
Yeah, idk about the water hole...I'd lose my mind as well. Plus I'm guessing it'll be pretty hot and idk if I feel like cooking haha

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
If the terrain is advantageous then spot and stalk is the way to go. If the antelope aren't in a good spot to stalk just be patient, they will often get up and relocate for no apparent reason. They aren't like a deer that will spend their entire day in the same bed.
Numbers are pretty spotty but down in general. There are still enough out there to hunt but you will have to search for them

KurtR

WKR
Its getting dry really fast so the few water holes that are left and waters would be easiest to target. If we dont get some moisture soon the blue tongue will be wiping animals out again. Worst numbers i have seen in the 21 years i have lived in goat country

I was in NW SD last week and saw good numbers of antelope. Deer were spotty. This sample was observed while driving with zero glassing. If I had a lope tag I would not be bummed to have it this year.

JENSEN

FNG
Hopefully some of these states that are going through a dry spell get some good rain soon, not necessarily for us hunters but for the animals. It's a sad thing when diseases like blue tongue, EHD, etc, severely impact herds.

jmez

WKR
It hasn't been dry in the west and north west part of the state. Quite the opposite.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
@Fatcamp has the GFP closed any seasons in the past?

Not that I'm aware of. Where we hunt is green but over many miles of land we saw very, very few antelope, and not a single group.

I'm sure there are isolated areas with decent population, in fact I know there is, but much of the population is in very serious trouble.

JENSEN

FNG
Not that I'm aware of. Where we hunt is green but over many miles of land we saw very, very few antelope, and not a single group.

I'm sure there are isolated areas with decent population, in fact I know there is, but much of the population is in very serious trouble.
That's sad. Not just for us sportsman but the herds as well. Good thing nature is resilient but a little help from weather and conservation goes a long way too.

Fatcamp

WKR
That's sad. Not just for us sportsman but the herds as well. Good thing nature is resilient but a little help from weather and conservation goes a long way too.

I agree. The weather is great for them at the moment, but SDGFP should have given those herds a break.