SD non-resident archery cap

Been waiting to hear if they would pass the vote of a archery cap for non resident antelope tags, it looks like they did unfortunately. The cap will be set at 450 tags on public land, private land is still unlimited. This poses a couple questions for me.

Will this be introduced for this year or starting the following year?

Will they be any sex tags?

Any statistics on how many non res licenses sold last year and if so how many were private/outfitters.

I did some digging around and couldn't come up with anything.

Chime in if you have any thoughts or more concerns.

Hunter

OP
H
Totally agree that tags need to be limited! I should have phrased my "unfortunately" as it sucks that it has to get to this point but it's the right move.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Changes will take place for this coming draw.
Buck only tags.
We've gone from around 1500 archery antelope hunters to 3000 archery antelope hunters in the past 10 years.
SD Bowhunters has some breakdowns of stats on their facebook page.

OP
H
Changes will take place for this coming draw.
Buck only tags.
We've gone from around 1500 archery antelope hunters to 3000 archery antelope hunters in the past 10 years.
SD Bowhunters has some breakdowns of stats on their facebook page.
Thanks for that info I checked out his videos on the matter and got some good info.
Glad they are taking proper steps for our future but still making it some what promising to gett drawn unlike most states.

mtmiller

WKR
Interesting podcast about this last week on Hunt Quietly #44

WCB

WKR
Interesting podcast about this last week on Hunt Quietly #44

Wait a minute....Hunting is endangered because there are too many hunters?...I thought it was endangered because there weren't enough....

OP
H
Yikes they switched the dates for Non residents to Sep 1st - Jan 1st... that's to bad.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Yikes....was there really that much non-resident archery pressure that they're messing with the hunt this much?

OP
H
Yikes....was there really that much non-resident archery pressure that they're messing with the hunt this much?
From what I found on statistics there was a total of 3,000 hunters last year, 1,100 of those being non resident. I don't find that being to awfully terrible with how long the season is. But I'm sure alot of us speed goats hunters are also elk hunters which doesn't make this new season great for us!

Residents are still open for Aug 19th

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
From what I found on statistics there was a total of 3,000 hunters last year, 1,100 of those being non resident. I don't find that being to awfully terrible with how long the season is. But I'm sure alot of us speed goats hunters are also elk hunters which doesn't make this new season great for us!

Residents are still open for Aug 19th
This was my main concern. Going to make the schedule a fair bit tighter now this fall. May only be able to stay for 6 days or so but will still be chasing goats on the prairie.

That is....assuming I draw of course.

Dschwan

WKR
Here are some post from the SD Bowhunters FB page

Did you know? In 2021, 122 mule deer bucks were harvested in unit 35A by archery hunters. 107 of those bucks were harvested by nonresidents. 88% of the archery mule deer buck harvest was attributed to nonresidents. Please send your comments to the SD GFP Commission supporting our proposals for a reasonable cap and draw on nonresident archery permits. Help us preserve and protect our mule deer and antelope resource and the public land hunting experience in SD for resident and nonresident hunters.
Did you know? During the period of 2013-2022 the neighboring state of Wyoming reduced their total number of antelope permits issued by almost 30%. During that same period of time, South Dakota increased their total number of antelope permits issued. NR archery antelope tags issued increased by nearly 400% with no cap in place. Please contact your GFP Commissioners today at the link below in support of responsible and reasonable caps on NR archery antelope permits. Help us protect our resource and the SD hunting experience for all hunters, for many generations to come.
some facts regarding the current archery deer proposal and some clarifying points. Based upon public comment many do not understand the proposal and it’s potential impact:
1. If you are a nonresident who hunts your family farm, a friends land, or land that you own, you will still be able to get a license every single year just as you have in the past.
2. If you are a public land only hunter, based upon the state’s own data, you will still be able to draw a tag 3 out of every 4 years. Based upon past surveys and studies done by the Game Fish and Parks department, only about 3,000 NR bowhunters hunt on public lands. This 25% reduction will do very little to stop NR archers who are already coming here from getting a tag 75% of the time.
3. What this proposal does accomplish is to curtail the continued, explosive, and exponential growth we have seen in NR tag sales. This growth trend is not sustainable. If you have good hunting now, that is wonderful, that is what we are trying to maintain. SDBI is not anti-nonresident. We are pro-resource and pro-experience for ALL bowhunters.

Glimmerman151

FNG
Classified Approved
I live in SD, pretty much everything they do as far as wildlife management is retarded. Antelope, they look at the population supposedly using aerial surveys. What they see and issue tags, doesn't go hand in hand. They never seem to account for the fact probably 75% of hunters are pounding the same 20% of the county that is public year after year. You might see 40 trucks on the same national grassland roads and almost no hunters on the private. I hunt both if i can and my brother is a non-resident, so i dont want to miss hunting with him, but they need to pull back tags either way. Like the was stated earlier, when other states reduce tags, we go full bore then wonder why the opportunity and quality sucks. They also don't seem to plan very far ahead when making changes for the applications.

jmez

WKR
This was my main concern. Going to make the schedule a fair bit tighter now this fall. May only be able to stay for 6 days or so but will still be chasing goats on the prairie.

That is....assuming I draw of course.
There may not be any left after this winter.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Wait a minute....Hunting is endangered because there are too many hunters?...I thought it was endangered because there weren't enough....

Love it. The hunting industry started this "invite a newbie" trend and it has bit us in the bottom. Some folks still think we need more hunters - bring your kids, wives, the whole neighborhood - otherwise the sport will die.

Now we got nowhere to go cause the NR masses are descending like locust and eating up all that is good. It's true to a point. Bout all we/they can do is limit access and increase wait time between hunting trips with preference points or random draws.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
South Dakota residents: at the same time, are you fighting to share your elk, sheep and mountain goat tags with Non-residents. Or are you going to continue keeping 100% of those tags?

Various other states share 10% or more of elk, sheep and mountain goat tags with you. But then you share ZERO with them.

Doesn't it make sense that you would address this inequity at the same time you are fixing the NR archery problem?

SDSmacker

FNG
There won't even be a resident mountain goat season in SD in 23 or 24 because the numbers are so low. Sheep tags are about like winning the lottery and it takes at least 15 years to have a realistic shot at drawing an elk tag for an SD resident. There's not much of those species to share for residents let alone NR in SD

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, I'm a resident and don't even apply for sheep and goats, that's a pipe dream. Elk, LOL, now that points are cubed you don't have much of a chance either unless you started with double digits.

Just apply elsewhere. I only apply here because it's cheap for me, not because I think I'll get a tag.

SDSmacker

FNG
Through a raffle or on reservations. Not applying in the preference point pool like residents. But I guess technically yes