Screenshots of thinhorns through a spotting scope?

Photo 1: Looks like a good angle to check circle test, though the sheep would need to move obviously.

Photo 2: Shoot immediately.

Photo 3: Would need to see from the left side. Body strikes me as "old", particularly his belly.

Photo 4: Back right ram facing left - Cannot tell legality from that photo, however, the difference in body size is really cool to see.

Thank you for posting these!
Photo 1 and 2 are the same ram, 41 + inches, 13 years old.

Photo 3, over 42 inches, 9 years old. One thing that I find important is learning to judge a ram while they have their head down. When they are feeding, the majority of the time their head is down which makes it difficult to judge.

OP
carsonkeys
Photo 1 and 2 are the same ram, 41 + inches, 13 years old.

Photo 3, over 42 inches, 9 years old. One thing that I find important is learning to judge a ram while they have their head down. When they are feeding, the majority of the time their head is down which makes it difficult to judge.
Wow. I’m slightly embarrassed that I’m misjudging 40” rams so badly.

However, I’d rather underestimate a 40” 9 year-old than overestimate a 7 year old.

Wow. I’m slightly embarrassed that I’m misjudging 40” rams so badly.

However, I’d rather underestimate a 40” 9 year-old than overestimate a 7 year old.
The second ram is a tough one because his head is down and the best look is at the broomed side. I'll see if I can find some other pictures that better show off his right horn, which was the long one.

Edit: I meant right side which was the long horn. Here's a picture. You can see how low the curl drops in comparison to his jaw. This is often helpful in trying to judge length.

IMG_0251 2.jpg

Last edited: