Scrapes off the highway

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I have access to a 37 acre property close to my house that runs directly next to the highway (highlighted in green in the screenshot). I walked part of it today and found several scrapes and a couple newer looking rubs, lots of well used trails through ankle and knee high grass, along with a little 3 point deadhead. Didn’t jump any deer while I was there (late afternoon). The part that I walked is a mix of younger pines with no underbrush that turns into hardwoods with thicker underbrush with some more “open” areas mixed in where you can see 50 yards or so in a couple directions. My question is what are the chances that deer are actually checking these scrapes or using these areas in daylight? I know that’s a broad question, but what other things can I be looking for to determine this other than just sitting it for an evening or morning? Any advice on trying to figure out a property like this would be welcome.
675707fae661a092461ed478ac70deed.jpg

ceec4f144dda4f5f3678ebf028fa14b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1cd410ae6e580c6bf10dcd4b08336acd.jpg

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
I have access to a 37 acre property close to my house that runs directly next to the highway (highlighted in green in the screenshot). I walked part of it today and found several scrapes and a couple newer looking rubs, lots of well used trails through ankle and knee high grass, along with a little 3 point deadhead. Didn’t jump any deer while I was there (late afternoon). The part that I walked is a mix of younger pines with no underbrush that turns into hardwoods with thicker underbrush with some more “open” areas mixed in where you can see 50 yards or so in a couple directions. My question is what are the chances that deer are actually checking these scrapes or using these areas in daylight? I know that’s a broad question, but what other things can I be looking for to determine this other than just sitting it for an evening or morning? Any advice on trying to figure out a property like this would be welcome.
54c742adca2fb6fd882ccf97de1fd1f9.jpg

675707fae661a092461ed478ac70deed.jpg

ceec4f144dda4f5f3678ebf028fa14b6.jpg

This property would take 4 seconds to find, as you didn’t cross out the property name to the north. I suggest you edit it!

As far as helping you, I would definitely put at least 3 trail cameras out to find out when and where they are on the move. Amazon deal days starts tomorrow, should be some on sale for cheap.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
This property would take 4 seconds to find, as you didn’t cross out the property name to the north. I suggest you edit it!

As far as helping you, I would definitely put at least 3 trail cameras out to find out when and where they are on the move. Amazon deal days starts tomorrow, should be some on sale for cheap.

Haha thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and edited it. Cameras might have to be the way to go

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I'd climb off a trail that is along or close to rub/scrape line. Not alot to lose

True I could always just do a late evening sit to see if anything’s moving before dark

Macintosh

WKR
cameras are the obvious way. or hunt it or observe it if possible, and see. Or check those scrapes and trails a specific time after a good rain and see if they are opened since the rain, and use that to infer if it was during daylight or not. To me, suburban and semi-rural deer "live" in the overlooked little pockets, and hard up next to a highewy is almost always an "overlooked little pocket"...so zero surprise to me that you found sign there. If the sign points to it being a road crossing, it may be nighttime...but if the sign points to it being a bedding or staging or feeding area by virtue of very few people going there right next to a busy road..., it may very well be daytime movement. I have a love/hate relationship with a couple spots next to roads...good sign, can be good hunting, but I hate the road noise. Pick your poison.