Scouting

Tony2000

FNG
How much would it be worth to someone if you could have some current information on an area you would like to hunt but don't have the time to take a scouting trip. Is road conditions, pictures of the mountains, ect....
type of information worth anything to someone

I have seen guide/outfitter services offer this In the past it would include trail cam pics, video footage ect. of specific units and locations (waterholes, salt licks) and specific animals.

The price was sort of dependent on trophy quality and prestige of area. With camera bans in Some states and restricted times they can be used I don't hear about it so much. Also the legality of selling “scouting” services with out a guide license was also questionable.

This was discussed years ago-

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The greatest satisfaction comes from doing it all myself. That's worth a lot to me. But my biggest scouting item is finding and then knowing where I want to put my base camp. And just like hunting, I'll have my plan A through F or however far down the list I need to go. If I can't do that ahead of time, I'll just do it when I get there for the hunt. Beyond my base camp, most all of my scouting happens during the season.

I know I have said this before but---. You can scout all you want in June - August but it is meaningless for the months of Sept- Dec. I have elk in my yard through Aug but it is a crapshoot by fall when they are somewhere within 10 miles dependant on the weather.

I'm sure deer are more consistant at the lower elevations but chance of finding one after August on the summer range is closer to a miracle as opposed to a guarantee.

OP
Tony2000

Tony2000

FNG
I wasn't really talking about scouting a specific animal but more along the lines of road conditions, vegetation, water sources, ect....

Beendare

WKR
The greatest satisfaction comes from doing it all myself. That's worth a lot to me. But my biggest scouting item is finding and then knowing where I want to put my base camp. And just like hunting, I'll have my plan A through F or however far down the list I need to go. If I can't do that ahead of time, I'll just do it when I get there for the hunt. Beyond my base camp, most all of my scouting happens during the season.
Yeah, agreed, well said.

I just spent the last 5 days trekking around in my - new to me elk unit. That was a workout. I can’t imagine someone actually paying the $500/day its worth to do that for them.