Scouting, when to do it?

reedjj

FNG
I have a week in early June or a week in Mid July I could scout. Location would be southern colorado, for an archery elk hunt, OTC. Was in the same general area last year and had some success but want to check out new areas as well.

If you could chose why would you choose one time over the other?

Mid July no question. Early June could still have snow or runoff issues depending on location and elevation. I've run into both more often that not that time of year. Mid-July will be great weather.

I would scout as close in time to the actual season as possible. It also may depend on the elevation where you plan to hunt. Colorado has had a cold spring with more precipitation than last year (thankfully) so the high country may not be open in early June. Last year it opened up a month early due to warm, dry weather. So if I had the choice of early June or mid July I would definitely pick mid July. If you can scout prior to the season in August, that may be even more productive.

Southern CO is supposed to get 8-10 in of snow tomorrow night.
Early June in only 4 weeks away.
July would be my choice

Definitely july. The way the snow has been melring lately my scouting is about to start real soon. I have never been able to get to some of my spots in late may, but this year I should be able to.

Thanks guys, still fairly new to it and always appreciate the sound advice from this site.

Back