Scouting Tips

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
First season for Elk hunting coming up. Will be out in the Walden, CO GMUs. Not looking for spots per se, but have been doing some Google Earth scouting and plan to get out a few times this summer and check the area out.

Just looking to see if any experienced guys have tips for scouting, things to look for (I know food, water, bedding areas, etc) but if there's anything else or specifics to pass along some knowledge.

Thanks!

Jrob

FNG
I would sign up for OnX or one of the other GPS hunting apps. There are a lot of good features for e-scouting. Get familiar with reading topo maps.

Get away from the roads/trails and find water

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
I would sign up for OnX or one of the other GPS hunting apps. There are a lot of good features for e-scouting. Get familiar with reading topo maps.

Get away from the roads/trails and find water

That brings up another question, in general I’ve been taught and have seen signage everywhere telling people to stick to trails to preserve the land. Does this just not apply to hunting in CO? Like we can just stomp on everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
That brings up another question, in general I’ve been taught and have seen signage everywhere telling people to stick to trails to preserve the land. Does this just not apply to hunting in CO? Like we can just stomp on everything?

Its not a regulation or law, but most people should be sticking to the trails to avoid creating new trails. For example, if you are hiking to a popular alpine lake (with a trail) or doing a 14er, stay on the trail.

That being said, when hunting/scouting, you'll often be going to places where there is mo trail.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve hunted the Walden units for over 30 years.

If you use the time slider on GE you can actually see camps along the forest roads.

You are going to have company. Lots of company.

It’s not uncommon for me to put 600-800 miles on my truck during archery season to find elk where there isn’t loads of people.

Good luck. You’re gonna need it.

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
I’ve hunted the Walden units for over 30 years.

If you use the time slider on GE you can actually see camps along the forest roads.

You are going to have company. Lots of company.

It’s not uncommon for me to put 600-800 miles on my truck during archery season to find elk where there isn’t loads of people.

Good luck. You’re gonna need it.

Good to know, thank you. Pretty new to hunting so idk if this is too much to ask but would you say certain gmus are more populated than others? Like if I went up near WY border would it be better than more south?

Also looking at GE I found an area where it looks like there’s a lot of migration so it’d be a good spot but at the same time that probably means everyone thinks it’s a good spot and will be setting up there. This is pretty daunting to be honest haha.

cnelk

WKR
There aren’t any secret spots anymore. You can get lucky (or unlucky) in any given area.

I won’t be hunting NP this year. If you want, send me a PM and I’ll point you in a direction.

Note to any others reading this.
Don’t bother asking for spots. I only give one a year and this is it. ;)

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Dang man you lucked out, as a FNG i made pretty much the exact same post two years ago and got scared out of NP by cnelk:ROFLMAO:
Mind you, he might be dropping a pin on the new wolf dens up there for ya

OP
E

egreen4257

FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG FNG
Dang man you lucked out, as a FNG i made pretty much the exact same post two years ago and got scared out of NP by cnelk:ROFLMAO:
Mind you, he might be dropping a pin on the new wolf dens up there for ya

Haha that went through my head, but he seems nice I’ll trust him plus I’m going to scout everything out ahead of time

Jaquomo

WKR
You got lucky with cnelk. He knows that area better than anyone. I hunted and guided in it from '74 until 2018, and his help will be spot-on.