Scope selection - Tikka T3X Roughtech Ember 308 20”

Picked up one of these recently and am struggling with scope selection. This will end up being a run of the mill, 500 and under hunting rifle.

My normal forte for scopes is FFP/MIL but I want this rifle to be versatile for the purposes stated above.

I haven’t shot a 2FP scope in years. But it seems like a logical choice for this application given the parameters above. Typically FFP scope reticles are small and difficult to use at low magnification and especially in low light. I want to be able to see the reticle in any given situation to in clued spot & stalk snap shooting. We do quite a bit of spot & stalk Axis hunting in pretty heavy brush here in Texas, so shots sometimes have to be quick and at short range.

Scopes I’m considering:

1). Maven RS 1.2. Last I heard September would be next substantial stock replenish.

2) NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 MIL-R

3) NF NX8 2.5-20 F2 MIL-CF2

4) NF ATACR 4-16 x 50 F2 MIL-R

5) Possibly a NF NXS 2.5-10

Any other recommendations or suggestions on the above?

@Formidulous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 mil dot for the same gun, same purpose. Haven't used it, but feeling like it will be a great combo just handling it

JGRaider

WKR
I don't understand the FFP/Mil argument that on low power the reticle is unusable......that's what illumination is for. NF reticles, for hunting purposes, suck IMO. I'd look for a solid, used LRHSi.

OP
Mike D Texas
I don't understand the FFP/Mil argument that on low power the reticle is unusable......that's what illumination is for. NF reticles, for hunting purposes, suck IMO. I'd look for a solid, used LRHSi.

Illumination works great if you have time to turn it on. I suppose you could have it turned on already while stalking.

I shoot several NF scopes for hunting with MIL-C and MIL-XT reticles and don’t have any issues. To be fair, most of the time the animals are a long way off and relaxed so I have plenty of time.

To your point that’s why I was considering the MIL-R reticle as it’s .5 mil graduations instead of .2 mil.

I’m not opposed to a Bushnell, I’ve just never used one.

OP
Mike D Texas
Wait on the Maven Mil. Doesn't need illumination either (has it, just doesn't need it).

I have one on a different rifle. I like it but I want to get this rifle zero and going. We can hunt exotics year round in Texas and the bucks are starting to rut now.

But I just picked up a Bushnell 4.5-18 LSRHi from the classifieds so I’ll get to see if it lives up to the hype.

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I've got two credo. A 2.5-15 and a 4-16. The second focal plane doesn't bother me. And they've been great for target and hunting so far. Slight nod to the 2.5-15 for the lower min. Mag and slightly lighter weight. A friend has the same tikka roughtech and put a 3-15 razor lht and is happy with it. I believe we had some tracking errors on his scope but couldn't replicate it. He likes holding over so it wasn't a huge deal to him.

Matt5266

WKR
You named some great scopes. I'd go maven at this point if I can get my hands on one. Dont forget to add the Trijicon Tenmile to the list....

atmat

WKR
OP, look into the SB Klassic 3-12 P3L.

Its FFP/mil and the reticle looks just like a duplex on low power. It’s an awesome scope. One of my all time favorites, and I’ve owned every scope on your list other than the baby ATACR

The only drawback is you’re limited to 4.8mil elevation. However, as you’re staying <500 yards you should have plenty of travel.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
For a 2nd FFP scope, I just my first Leica Amplus and it looks pretty nice. Reticle at 2.5x looks usable and the illumination works better than the Maven. I wish it wasn’t a Xmas tree reticle but with the illuminated dot and being 2ffp, it appears like it would work for jump shooting.

I say appears because I haven’t mounted it to anything, just played with it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

@Formidulous

The only one I would personally choose from your list is the Maven RS1.2. However, your use is where I would be looking at the S&B 3-12x42mm Klassik with P3 reticle and BDC mil turret.

JGRaider

WKR
I have one on a different rifle. I like it but I want to get this rifle zero and going. We can hunt exotics year round in Texas and the bucks are starting to rut now.

But I just picked up a Bushnell 4.5-18 LSRHi from the classifieds so I’ll get to see if it lives up to the hype.

You're going to love that LRHSi. I've got one on my Tikka T3x 6.5CM and it is fantastic. I'll take it over anything SWFA makes all day, every day.

OP
Mike D Texas
4-16x50 credo on my CTR. Like it so far.
View attachment 737794

I've got two credo. A 2.5-15 and a 4-16. The second focal plane doesn't bother me. And they've been great for target and hunting so far. Slight nod to the 2.5-15 for the lower min. Mag and slightly lighter weight. A friend has the same tikka roughtech and put a 3-15 razor lht and is happy with it. I believe we had some tracking errors on his scope but couldn't replicate it. He likes holding over so it wasn't a huge deal to him.

I handled a Credo at a local shop recently and was very underwhelmed with the turrets. They were very mushy on the one I tried.

You named some great scopes. I'd go maven at this point if I can get my hands on one. Dont forget to add the Trijicon Tenmile to the list....

I’d love to try one but I can’t get past the tree reticle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest, they are slightly mushy, but not near as bad as the vortex. A cheap arken is probably the most solid turret ive ever felt. And while the trijicon turret is a little mushier then that I've never not been able to feel or hear either of mine while turning. For 8-900 bucks it seems like a lot of scope if you don't need ffp

Picked up one of these recently and am struggling with scope selection. This will end up being a run of the mill, 500 and under hunting rifle.

My normal forte for scopes is FFP/MIL but I want this rifle to be versatile for the purposes stated above.

I haven’t shot a 2FP scope in years. But it seems like a logical choice for this application given the parameters above. Typically FFP scope reticles are small and difficult to use at low magnification and especially in low light. I want to be able to see the reticle in any given situation to in clued spot & stalk snap shooting. We do quite a bit of spot & stalk Axis hunting in pretty heavy brush here in Texas, so shots sometimes have to be quick and at short range.

Scopes I’m considering:

1). Maven RS 1.2. Last I heard September would be next substantial stock replenish.

@Formidulous

S
I have #4 mounted to a Tikka .308 CTR. Works great. I’m a FFP guy, but have found no issues using the SFP on this sscope.

Superx3

FNG
When I need another scope I think I’ll try an Arken optic. They are guaranteed to track and FFP. Anyone tried one?

JGRaider

WKR
When I need another scope I think I’ll try an Arken optic. They are guaranteed to track and FFP. Anyone tried one?
I have two, a EPL4 4-46x and the 6-24x, and my son has the 6-24x and an EP5. They've all dialed, returned to zero, and held up very well during this first year we've had them. No problems whatsoever.

Scopes I’m considering:

@Formidulous

I had no idea they put Cerakote on the Ember now...they look great and I just had to have one! Order placed.