Scope rings to avoid?

I wouldn't say avoid these rings... but definitely avoid over torquing them . I had a brain fart and forgot these bases only get torqued to 25 pounds. Guess who tried to torque them to 65? Totally my fault. These are the Warne Maximas.
60609c191387185e0950072c60922975.jpg
0d4e578846ab3276dd6a4925169578bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Maybe. But I'd be real curious to know if 25 in-lb on those screws is actually enough to hold the rings in place. My gut says probably not.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Maybe. But I'd be real curious to know if 25 in-lb on those screws is actually enough to hold the rings in place. My gut says probably not.

If the clamp area is machined correctly and rail or base is machined correctly, 25 inlbs is more than enough. You know as well as anyone, maximizing surface area is key.

We lap rings because we are worried about the fit of the scope in the rings and to maximize the contact patch. How often have you thought about the contact patch on the rings/base combination?

Sometimes we get caught up in getting the scope where we want it using mismatched brands and we forget about looking at the interface between the two. Tolerance stacking is a problem.

Get the scope where you want it (eye relief) and then figure out how to get your eye where it needs to be. There are plenty of solutions for that shared here to get your eye lined up.

Surface area is one factor. But the rings that are proving to be reliable also have a lot of clamping force, which you can't really accomplish at 25 in-lb on a size 12 screw.

I kind of want to start a separate thread taking measurements of the clamp screw, calculating the clamping force, and measuring the clamp thickness on rings that work and those that don't. Just not sure if I care enough to take apart stuff that is currently working.

Unlike scopes, everything that matters about a ring is easy to determine from the outside.