Scope rings to avoid?

AZ_Hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I always thought Seekins were good. Guess I was wrong.

So who all uses steel or Ti clamps? Looking for 30mm Low, didn’t see low with NF and UM is sold out.

Any experience with LaRue LT719 rings? I have used a set of those (and a ton of their AR style mounts) for years, as in over a decade easy. No issues (other than the clamp marring AR receivers). But the 719 rings were on a rifle that only has about 2-300 rounds through it, so I am curious to what experience others have.

SDHNTR

WKR
There are some vertically split rings, Talley screw lock detachable, that use separate screws to attach to the base and separate screws for the bottom clamp on the ring. These types do not nutcracker the scope tube. That said, I’ve come to prefer a rail and pic rings.

Xycod

Lil-Rokslider
For me it’s the unimoints, have had problems with several big names some costing $400 plus. NF and Leupold mk4’s just seem to work, I really like the arc stuff but I’ve also seen/had some issues with them. Anything can a will break through.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I always thought Seekins were good. Guess I was wrong.
I wouldn't go throwing your seekins away just because of this thread.

@ResearchinStuff is waving the red flag because he has seen a single failure

even knowing about the failure he speaks of, and the "relatively rare" failures mentioned by a certain admin on this site, Seekins still handily makes the short-list of scope rings worth owning

I don't claim they're the best rings in the world. But to say they need to be avoided is a little ridiculous

I wouldn't go throwing your seekins away just because of this thread.

@ResearchinStuff is waving the red flag because he has seen a single failure

even knowing about the failure he speaks of, and the "relatively rare" failures mentioned by a certain admin on this site, Seekins still handily makes the short-list of scope rings worth owning

I don't claim they're the best rings in the world. But to say they need to be avoided is a little ridiculous

Here's my broken seekins ring. So 3 sets at least. I'm still using multiple sets though with no more issues yet.

20221213_103032.jpg

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Seekins are my go to scope rings and have been for years. Have never had an issue and run them on everything from 7-08 to 338 win mags. They are rock solid.

Stay away from vertical split rings as they will damage your scope. They do not apply even pressure.

ARC rings do not qualify as vertical split rings and are top notch as well.

Nightforce rings are always high quality and a great option.

My .02

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have details on this? Ive been using seekins or vortex pmr (manufacteted by seekins) rings for 8 years or so, I think 5 sets, always torqued per ring instructions (ie tight!). These rings are very popular and I think between folks I shoot with these are by far the most common rings I see, I think Im “near” another dozen sets. I have seen the photo you posted of the broken ring clamp, heard Form mention he has seen a couple problems. On the flip side I’ve never had a problem or seen a problem on any of the ones Im familiar with, and while I have heard of a few issues it seems uncommon…I hear of far more issues caused by the uni-mounts for instance. Question is, 1) is this really widespread enough to put them on a “stay away from…” list? And 2) my understanding, possibly wrong, was that at least most of the other rings listed also have aluminum base clamps…am I mistaken on this point? It looks like UM premier might use a titanium clamp on one side but their tikka rings are aluminum, warne mtn tech appear to be aluminum, etc.

Curious on this point, as for a long time these rings were the ones many people recommended after someone had a problem.

Not only are UM Tikka Rings aluminum, they are just 6061, while Seekins rings are 7075.

Nightforce and UM Premier are 7075 and do have titanium (grade 5) recoil lugs and jaw as well.

I’ve Seekins and not had a problem. I wouldn’t hesitate going to UM or Nightforce in the future, however they don’t make rings as low as Seekins so it would depend on use case.

I’m curious about the broken Seekins rings and if a titanium jaw would have made a difference in those breakage scenarios and why/how?

SloppyJ

WKR
I've switched to ARC, Warne Mountaintech, or Hawkins rings on all of my stuff and I like them.

I’m curious about the broken Seekins rings and if a titanium jaw would have made a difference in those breakage scenarios and why/how?

Titanium can be up to 10x stronger than aluminum, and does not experience fatigue failure the way aluminum does. So yeah, a material change there could very likely have eliminated those failures. Alternatively, a whole bunch more aluminum could have been used to carry and endure the load.

wapitibob

WKR
The Seekins probably broke because they're 7075 which has little elongation. That same ring in 6061 would have just stretched for lack of a better word. They machine totally different and when machining 7075, milling especially, toolpath needs to be considered or you can see spots where the mtl breaks off from the floor and leaves pockets.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Titanium can be up to 10x stronger than aluminum, and does not experience fatigue failure the way aluminum does. So yeah, a material change there could very likely have eliminated those failures. Alternatively, a whole bunch more aluminum could have been used to carry and endure the load.

I understand the material properties.

It’s just from looking at where the ring broke, I’m trying to understand how it happened and how a titanium jaw changes that.

Last edited: