Scope Rings That Work With Old Round Slot Weaver Bases

JDZ

WKR
What are some quality, magnum-worthy scope rings that will work with the old style Weaver base with the rounded slot?

Many rings say they’ll work with Weaver bases, but they have a squared-off cross to fit the newer bases or pic rail, but they won’t fit the old style with the cross slots that are round for a small bolt style.

There is nothing wrong with the old style weavers, they are light and strong and I still use them a lot

Reactions: JDZ

ElPollo

WKR
What are some quality, magnum-worthy scope rings that will work with the old style Weaver base with the rounded slot?

Many rings say they’ll work with Weaver bases, but they have a squared-off cross to fit the newer bases or pic rail, but they won’t fit the old style with the cross slots that are round for a small bolt style.
Warne Mountain Tech.

TaperPin

WKR
Talley vertically split rings use the base clamp round bolt to index in the cross slot, although I don’t know for sure they work with weaver bases.

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
Talley vertically split rings use the base clamp round bolt to index in the cross slot, although I don’t know for sure they work with weaver bases.

Are you sure they fit in the round slotted Weavers? The cross has square corners. Other rings similar to that like the Leupold PRW2 won’t fit.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
Are you sure they fit in the round slotted Weavers? The cross has square corners. Other rings similar to that like the Leupold PRW2 won’t fit.
Unfortunately I don’t have any weaver bases to try the rings on.

The weaver bases are aluminum, a small square file and a couple of minutes and you can use any pic ring

OP
J

JDZ

WKR
I’ve got a specific base, specific to a certain rifle, that’s not made anymore. I’d rather not modify it.

robtattoo

WKR
Classic_49160_ThreeQuarter.jpg
They're not new & they're not sexy, but they work like a freaking charm. Ask Phil Shoemaker......155533.jpg
I figured if they were good enough for Old Ugly, they'd do for my 9.3x62 & so far after 200+ shots, they've held perfectly.

TaperPin

WKR
View attachment 705453
They're not new & they're not sexy, but they work like a freaking charm. Ask Phil Shoemaker......View attachment 705456
I figured if they were good enough for Old Ugly, they'd do for my 9.3x62 & so far after 200+ shots, they've held perfectly.
That looks like a picatinny rail under the barrel - that’s a cool idea of being able to attach a flashlight if needed.

It’s quite amazing Phil has been guiding for brown bears for so long.