Scope Recommendations

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
There have been 2 fixed 6s up in the classifieds in the last 3 weeks. I also saw a 3-9 recently.

Yes, hard to obtain but not impossible.

SloppyJ

WKR
The credo 3x9 can be had around $450 in the classifieds. There's no better deal out there IMO. If you want more, the 2.5x15 is your huckleberry.

The Maven is supposedly really great. The RS1.2 but pushing your budget.

If you really want to blow the budget out of the water snag a NX8 4x32.

I'm thinking somewhere in that $500-1k price range. Basically, I'm just looking for quality glass and low light capability + reliability. I could spend more but I just don't really see why it would be necessary. I'll take a look at the accupoints. Thanks for the feedback!
Looks like a descent deal on the accupoints on europtic. I have always been a 40 objective vx3 guy but looking for a change. My hunting in Alabama is likely similar to yours in MI. I been considering a 2.5-12.5 x42 accupoint.
In the end the VX3 or VX3i will do anything you need it to.

Rich M

WKR
Buy a different brand. I got a VX-3i cause always thot' it was the best balance of scope for the money.

I put it on a beast of a Model 70 30-06 to replace a Leica ER that the gun broke. Wouldn't hold zero, it was more like a pattern. Gun shoots an inch at 250 with old VX-2 and 2 inches with VX-3i and then an inch with the old VX-2 again.

Started buying Bushnell scopes after that. They hold zero better.

OP
B

boinkins

FNG
The credo 3x9 can be had around $450 in the classifieds. There's no better deal out there IMO. If you want more, the 2.5x15 is your huckleberry.

The Maven is supposedly really great. The RS1.2 but pushing your budget.

If you really want to blow the budget out of the water snag a NX8 4x32.
Yea, I think the NX8 is prolly more than I'm willing to spend. Appreciate the feedback.

OP
B

boinkins

FNG
Buy a different brand. I got a VX-3i cause always thot' it was the best balance of scope for the money.

I put it on a beast of a Model 70 30-06 to replace a Leica ER that the gun broke. Wouldn't hold zero, it was more like a pattern. Gun shoots an inch at 250 with old VX-2 and 2 inches with VX-3i and then an inch with the old VX-2 again.

Started buying Bushnell scopes after that. They hold zero better.
What bushnell scope are you running?

stv117

Lil-Rokslider
That all depends on what you mean by being "as accurate as possible". For example, I shoot F-class, almost exclusively at 1000 yards. I do this with a .308 Winchester and a target where the X-ring is 5 inches in diameter and the 10-ring is 10 inches. The riflescope on my match F-TR rifle is a March-X 10-60X56 HM, which I run at 50X all the time The vast majority of F-class shooters will run scopes with at least mid-30x top ends, but usually more. Of course when the mirage gets bad, riflescopes with inferior optics need to be dialed back, but I keep going at 50X.

I should also mention that virtually all serious F-class shooters (and probably BR shooters also, but I do not know that for sure) run SFP scopes in MOA simply because of the accuracy requirements and the fast the target face is MOA-based.

Rich M

WKR
What bushnell scope are you running?
4500 - the 4-16 with BDC and wish got 2-10 or whatever the other one is. It is comparable to the VX3/Viper level glass. Have not had it hunting in low light, most of the deer we see are 9-11 am and an hour before dark.

Burris isn't a bad name in scopes either - I have a Fulfield but it hasn't gone hunting yet - liked the BDC design for a 350 Legend. Had a Diamondback BDC on the 350 Legend and it worked fine - good for 15 minutes after sundown, not the full 30. Switched it out and bought the Fullfield. Putting Diamondback on ML.

OP
B

boinkins

FNG
A-bolt 1 and 2 are the best handling mass produced rifles ever made, in my biased opinion. Been using them 35 years, but using x-bolts more the last 5 years, mainly because the recoil pads are so much better.
Are you running the accupoint 2.5-10x56 on your a bolt or x bolt? If so, you mind sharing your base and ring setup?

KenLee

WKR
On Brownings, I use Leupold STD bases and rings and also Talley lightweight base/ring combo. 30mm high.
Talleys get complaints on this forum, but I've used them on many rifles for the last 10 years with no problems...and I'm clumsy as heck.
I put one Accupoint 2.5-10x56 on a youth Savage 110 w pic rail. The high Warne rings were too high and switched to medium.

Last edited:

Luked

WKR
Would get something with at least a 50mm Obj end.
I only have 1 that is not a 50mm and its a VX6 with a 44mm Obj on my 270.
Everything else is a 50

The RS1.2 is a nice scope. Wouldn't be my first choice for a sub 300 yard whitetail scope but would work well in that application. Basically a guy is paying for more magnification/dialing capabilities than are needed. I like the Trijicon recommendations.

I’m out on Leupold these days. Unless you are buying VX5 and above, they have cut costs to the bone.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Mark 5 Leupold, but be out of your price didn’t read all of the suggestions.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for scope recommendations for whitetail hunting. I'm looking to upgrade from a cheapo 3-9x40 that I currently have. I don't need anything too fancy - 80% of my shots are within 175 yards. Occasionally, I'll have a shot as far as 300. Low light shots much more of a priority than shooting long distances. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 is one I've looked at. Thoughts?
You are going to be flooded with lots of great option.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold VX III 1.5 X 5 will serve you well in this application. Can't make it on $150 though.

Bcon

FNG
Take this for what it is worth, I do not consider myself an expert, but this is what I've had / have. I started with Nikon Pro-Staff and then had a friend convince me to try Vortex. I liked the fact that they were based out of the Mid-West (Wisconsin) and so I bought a Diamondback for one of my rifles and then bought a Diamondback 4-12 X 40 tactical and have loved the scope. Last summer as my wife and I were coming back from vacation we took a detour so I could stop at the Vortex store/headquarters... very cool place. The lady who worked there told me that her husband goes with the Viper model on everything.