Scope Recommendations

boinkins

FNG
Looking for scope recommendations for whitetail hunting. I'm looking to upgrade from a cheapo 3-9x40 that I currently have. I don't need anything too fancy - 80% of my shots are within 175 yards. Occasionally, I'll have a shot as far as 300. Low light shots much more of a priority than shooting long distances. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 is one I've looked at. Thoughts?

Mcfish

FNG
Looking for scope recommendations for whitetail hunting. I'm looking to upgrade from a cheapo 3-9x40 that I currently have. I don't need anything too fancy - 80% of my shots are within 175 yards. Occasionally, I'll have a shot as far as 300. Low light shots much more of a priority than shooting long distances. Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 is one I've looked at. Thoughts?
I have 3 of those scopes on a 30.06, 450 Bushmaster and a Tikka .243 that I use for deer here in Michigan.

They all work great for the money spent.

KenLee

WKR
How much are you looking to spend?
I'd pass on small objective 2-7x scopes if low light is your priority.
2.5-10x56 Trijicon accupoint with small illuminated center dot is a great option for $700ish. I have numerous VX-3 and VX-3i on a shelf and the Accupoint is a much better scope. At 20.7 ounces, its light for a big scope. My shots are 10 yards to 375 yards, but 95% 250 yards or less.
Last season, I swapped out a VX-3i 3.5-10x50 heavy duplex (much better for low light than the standard duplex) with a 56mm Accupoint on my friend's rifle. She was very happy with the better low light usefullness. She said "now I know how you see to shoot so late".

Last edited:
Reactions: FLS

Macintosh

WKR
What rifle?
Ive also got a trijicon 3-9 that I like (a credo), purchased to solve some consistent durability problems Ive had with other scopes. 40mm objective, and low light performance is fine for me till 30min past sunset in dark eastern woods, although illumination can help if its really dark.
But, theres a clearance issue with this scope on a lot of bolt action rifles, so might suggest an accupoint if its in the budget.

Last edited:
OP
B

boinkins

FNG
I'd go 2-7x in a heartbeat. 2x at the range's your shooting works great!
Appreciate the feedback. I think I'd want a little more magnification to give me flexibility in the future. I don't take any "long" shots currently, but I don't want to pigeonhole myself.

OP
B

boinkins

FNG
How much are you looking to spend?
I'd pass on small objective 2-7x scopes if low light is your priority.
2.5-10x56 Trijicon accupoint with small illuminated center dot is a great option for $700ish. I have numerous VX-3 and VX-3i on a shelf and the Accupoint is a much better scope. At 20.7 ounces, its light for a big scope. My shots are 10 yards to 375 yards, but 95% 250 yards or less.
Last season, I swapped out a VX-3i 3.5-10x50 heavy duplex (much better for low light than the standard duplex) with a 56mm Accupoint on my friend's rifle. She was very happy with the better low light usefullness. She said "now I know how you see to shoot so late".
I'm thinking somewhere in that $500-1k price range. Basically, I'm just looking for quality glass and low light capability + reliability. I could spend more but I just don't really see why it would be necessary. I'll take a look at the accupoints. Thanks for the feedback!

OP
B

boinkins

FNG
What rifle?
Ive also got a trijicon 3-9 that I like (a credo), purchased to solve some consistent durability problems Ive had with other scopes. 40mm objective, and low light performance is fine for me till 30min past sunset in dark eastern woods, although illumination can help if its really dark.
But, theres a clearance issue with this scope on a lot of bolt action rifles, so might suggest an accupoint if its in the budget.
A-bolt 30-06. Appreciate the feedback!

WJS23

WKR
I have owned a few leupolds and have had problems with all of them at some point, they are not the same company that they were back in the day. I have three accupoints and have not had any problems with them.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
If the VX3 is in your price range I'd go for it. Get a 40mm version. Less weight and plenty of light. You won't gain much with a 50mm for those ranges. I keep my 4.5x14x40 on the lowest setting because if there is a long shot I usually have time to dial up to 10 or 14.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
SWFA Fixed 6 is the scope for this application. No fussing with “zoom”. Great reticle for hold over and wind. Reliable as can be.

My wife and I have both used these scopes to kill whitetails in Minnesota. Shots from 30 yards sitting/stalking in the woods to over 500 yards in the swamp flats and farm fields.

Swfa really isn't a beginner scope anymore, just an enthusiast item. I've been waiting since January 2023 for a back ordered 3-9, and my brother in law has been waiting since sept 2023 for a 6x. The company may as well be out of business imo.