Scope Recommendation for 5.5 lb 30-06 Mountain Rifle

Doc,

Have to agree with Doug on this one. I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x BRH Reticle and used it a bunch of times for Sheep, Chamois and other Mountain Game. It is very bright and very light (16oz), yet is fairly rugged and holds zero even after getting knocked around a bit. Have taken a number of animals 350-500 yards with a 6.5CM. Swarovski has an app to calcuate the drop and which reticle line to use for vertical hold (I taped a laminated chart to my riflestock). Feel very confident making actual hunting shots out to 500 yards with that scope.

That scope was just discontinued but I’m certain someone still has them in stock. Very reasonable $ for the quality of the item.
Just recently found out that I was incorrect about the Z5 3.5-18x44 being discontinued - they are still being manufactured. They’ve just been out of stock for an extended period. Great news, as they are a great lightweight rifle scope for mountain hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for a 5.5 lb rifle, I'd want to keep the scope light too- lots of suitable scopes under 16 oz

the new Leupold VX-HD in either 2.5-8 or 3.5-10, come with CDS and at your budget you can have them put in any reticle you want- 11.8 and 13.5 oz respectfully

the aforementioned Z3 scopes would fit the bill as well

Just recently found out that I was incorrect about the Z5 3.5-18x44 being discontinued - they are still being manufactured. They’ve just been out of stock for an extended period. Great news, as they are a great lightweight rifle scope for mountain hunting.

I just got one with their ballistic turret system

Just picked up a Forbes 30-06 and need to find a scope. I do not like plain duplex reticles. Use will be for sheep hunting. I'd say budget is $2K or less. Thanks for any recommendations.
When you said Sheep gun my mind immediately went NF 3-10 SHV. I’ve also had the 2.5-10 NXS but unless you want to be able to dial super quickly (NXS has exposed elevation and windage) I sort of prefer the capped SHV. Personally I also felt like the eye box on the SHV 3-10 is better and more forgiving than the 2.5-10 NXS. On paper it’s not, just my experience.

Put a set of AAD flip up scope caps and you have a bullet proof capped and covered system. 20oz if you can find the non-illuminated. I am also very found of the MOAR reticle you can you to learn a 200-300yard holdover for a quicker shot.

Doc,

Have to agree with Doug on this one. I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x BRH Reticle and used it a bunch of times for Sheep, Chamois and other Mountain Game. It is very bright and very light (16oz), yet is fairly rugged and holds zero even after getting knocked around a bit. Have taken a number of animals 350-500 yards with a 6.5CM. Swarovski has an app to calcuate the drop and which reticle line to use for vertical hold (I taped a laminated chart to my riflestock). Feel very confident making actual hunting shots out to 500 yards with that scope.

That scope was just discontinued but I’m certain someone still has them in stock. Very reasonable $ for the quality of the item.

Swaro has not discontinued the Z5 3.5-18x44, it's just on backorder everywhere.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We have gotten a few deliveries of Z3's and Z5's this past week. Check out our new Just Arrived Section

as.ks.ak

WKR
Leupold vx3hd 4.5-14x40 with cds and zero-stop. It’s an impressive lightweight value package

This! I have 4 of the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40. On a 30.06, .308, 7mm-08, 22-250. The 30.06 is a sub 6 lbs gun before the scope and ammo. It’s shy of 7 lbs all done up now. Could not be happier with the CDS MOA system paired with my Leica rangefinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13oz Z3 3-10x42 BRH is a great little compact for the money if you are ok with mil dot drop reticle.

Keep it simple.

When you said Sheep gun my mind immediately went NF 3-10 SHV. I’ve also had the 2.5-10 NXS but unless you want to be able to dial super quickly (NXS has exposed elevation and windage) I sort of prefer the capped SHV. Personally I also felt like the eye box on the SHV 3-10 is better and more forgiving than the 2.5-10 NXS. On paper it’s not, just my experience.

Put a set of AAD flip up scope caps and you have a bullet proof capped and covered system. 20oz if you can find the non-illuminated. I am also very found of the MOAR reticle you can you to learn a 200-300yard holdover for a quicker shot.
Do you feel like the shv is not a good 500 yard hunting scope without an adjustable parallax ?

Which model? The new or old one? I’m worried about the new one having a fixed parallax and reaching out to 500 yds or so
Adjustable parallax, MOAR. I do use the parallax adjustment. For a lightweight hunting rifle the 3-10 SHV is very good.

The fixed parallax is honestly just one less thing to worry about on a hunting rifle. Practice out to 5-600 yards. Get as close as you can hunting and enjoy the meat.

If you end up not liking the scope due to fixed parallax, you'll be able to sell it on here in a few days.

Adjustable parallax, MOAR. I do use the parallax adjustment. For a lightweight hunting rifle the 3-10 SHV is very good.

The fixed parallax is honestly just one less thing to worry about on a hunting rifle. Practice out to 5-600 yards. Get as close as you can hunting and enjoy the meat.

If you end up not liking the scope due to fixed parallax, you'll be able to sell it on here in a few days.
im struggling to find one with parallax adjustment ... guess i need to figure out if its necessary

Doc,

Scope hasn't been disco'd just backordered into 2022

Dennis

WKR
I like both the Swarovski Z3 with BRH reticle and Z5 with 4W reticle on light weight rifles. Z3 is lighter

Do you feel like the shv is not a good 500 yard hunting scope without an adjustable parallax ?
I wouldn’t let fixed parallax stop me from buying a scope for 500 yards. You’ve clearly been pouring over this like a mad man and dreamingWest above nailed it. Just give it like a shot and buy one and if you hate it, see if you can sell it for $100 off and just call it a learning moment.

Also just keep watching the used market, post a want to buy in a few places. Someone will be eyeing a new toy and will see you one eventually.

I wouldn’t let fixed parallax stop me from buying a scope for 500 yards. You’ve clearly been pouring over this like a mad man and dreamingWest above nailed it. Just give it like a shot and buy one and if you hate it, see if you can sell it for $100 off and just call it a learning moment.

Also just keep watching the used market, post a want to buy in a few places. Someone will be eyeing a new toy and will see you one eventually.
Lol I didn’t mean to seem like drooling over this scope ... I’m brand new to the forum and posted was the hell to much apparently Thanks tho!