Scope Recommendation for 5.5 lb 30-06 Mountain Rifle

Just picked up a Forbes 30-06 and need to find a scope. I do not like plain duplex reticles. Use will be for sheep hunting. I'd say budget is $2K or less. Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
I second the Swaro Z3 on an ultralight build. That is what is on mine.

A Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 with a mil dot would be another good choice.

Jeremy

I'm a "KISS" sorta guy. I recently went through the same thing with my .280ai mountain ascent. I think when hunting it's best to eliminate what you don't need, the less to go wrong the better. With a 5.5lb rifle you want to keep it light so eliminate anything over 16oz or so. Since you said you don't want a duplex I'm going to assume you don't dial so I'd eliminate anything without capped turrets. My kimber like your Forbes I'd assume doesn't have a raised cheek so I'd eliminate anything over a 40mm bell. Magnification really depends on the individual I'm still somewhat young with good eyesight and my max range is 600 yards with my .280ai. a light rifle like these are no fun to shoot so I'm not going to be using this as a regular paper puncher so I didn't feel the need for a scope with a max power over 12x.

All that said I ended up with a meopta 3-9x40 with a bdc reticle. Mostly because I found a killer deal on a closed out "cabela's" branded one. If I was paying retail and in your position I'd get the 3-9x36 swarovski z3. Super light, top glass, has everything you need and nothing you don't.

Are you looking to dial or go BDC? I’m in a similar boat looking for a scope for my 30-06 mtn rifle

Just picked up a Forbes 30-06 and need to find a scope. I do not like plain duplex reticles. Use will be for sheep hunting. I'd say budget is $2K or less. Thanks for any recommendations.
Do you plan on taking longer shots beyond 400 yards?
If so you'll need a scope with good turrets or a moa/mil reticle.
For my long range setups I'll only run tactical style scopes that track true and are optimized for precision shooting.
My timber to 600 yard lightweight rifle has a vx5 3-15×44 with the impact 29 reticle, its pretty dang nice for its intended purpose and weighs 19 oz.

Doc,

Have to agree with Doug on this one. I have a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x BRH Reticle and used it a bunch of times for Sheep, Chamois and other Mountain Game. It is very bright and very light (16oz), yet is fairly rugged and holds zero even after getting knocked around a bit. Have taken a number of animals 350-500 yards with a 6.5CM. Swarovski has an app to calcuate the drop and which reticle line to use for vertical hold (I taped a laminated chart to my riflestock). Feel very confident making actual hunting shots out to 500 yards with that scope.

That scope was just discontinued but I’m certain someone still has them in stock. Very reasonable $ for the quality of the item.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you go Swaro, go BRH, not BRX. The BRX is nice, but very thin. To thin for hunting, IMO. I did the same as Spiral Horn and taped my DOPE to the scope and a card on the stock. Two columns. One at 6X, which is my preferred mag, and one at 10X for the 3-10 I have. I have no issues out to 500 yards with that setup. Past that, and I am just not capable in the field. At the range, no worries to 700. In the real world, not so much.

The Trijicon I suggested is a sleeper for a light weight MIL dot scope. Not a dialer, but very light and very tough. Mine have survived international travel multiple times and never miss a beat.

Love to see some pix of your new rifle. Melvin does light right.

Jeremy

OP
Doc Holliday
If you go Swaro, go BRH, not BRX. The BRX is nice, but very thin. To thin for hunting, IMO. I did the same as Spiral Horn and taped my DOPE to the scope and a card on the stock. Two columns. One at 6X, which is my preferred mag, and one at 10X for the 3-10 I have. I have no issues out to 500 yards with that setup. Past that, and I am just not capable in the field. At the range, no worries to 700. In the real world, not so much.

The Trijicon I suggested is a sleeper for a light weight MIL dot scope. Not a dialer, but very light and very tough. Mine have survived international travel multiple times and never miss a beat.

Love to see some pix of your new rifle. Melvin does light right.

Jeremy
Yes, I am a big fan of the BRH. I have it on a 2-12x50 on my 300 win.

Just pulled the trigger for this one on a 30mm 2.5-15x44 Z6 that I found on Ebay NIB for $1,775. I should have PM'd Doug to see if he would match it but its too late now. Sorry about that

This rifle is a 24B, so not one of Mel's custom rifles. Saw it pop up on GB the other day and had to have it.

Appreciate all the feedback

Sled

WKR
for others reading i'd say have a look at the tract toric line. a lot of value in those

I like the Leupold vx 5 or 6 if you want the ability to dial with exposed turrets with a lightweight, sfp scope. 19oz iirc. Plenty of reticle choices too. Imo the vx5 is a great value. Glass looks the same to me on the 6 and 5. You get a leveling reticle and nice covers with the 6.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold vx3hd 4.5-14x40 with cds and zero-stop. It’s an impressive lightweight value package

TXMT

FNG
Leuopold VX2 Uktralight 3X9 less than 10 ounces with CDS....I know! I didn't think it would do the job but GREAT results over the past 7 years.....$319 at Midway right now.....I have several other quality scopes but can't make myself switch out this powerhouse....good reason for another gun I guess....