Scope my Kimber Ascent 30-06

So I just became a lifetime member of Backcountry Hunter and Anglers (a conservation group I think that everyone on here should look into and get behind!). Along with the membership comes a Kimber Mountain Ascent, I choose 30-06 and now I am in the market for a scope.

The budget is pretty lame, especially with the price these rifles have on the shelf, but I am really looking for something that'll do for the next 204 years, and I am primarily a longbow hunter, so I'd like to stay in the sub $350 range. I don't plan on spending a lot of time at the range or in the field shooting with this rifle, so I am not as quick to buy glass of the highest quality to avoid a headache like I am with binos and spotting scopes, so no lecturing about how I should spend twice as much on the scope as I did on the rifle, it's just not in the budget! Even though the rifle is stainless, I don't like the silver colored scopes all that much, so fashion wise, flat black would be ideal.

I have narrowed the preliminary selection to a Vortex diamondback in 3-9x40 or a Leupold VX2 3-9x33. While the leupold is 2.5 ounces lighter, the vortext has a couple things going for it. Customer service, BDC, and they are also supporters of BHA.

I am totally open to other suggestions in my price range.

Stid2677

WKR
Congrats on joining Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, I'm also a member of the Alaska chapter. I have that same rifle in 280AI and 30-06, I have a Luppy VX2 3x9x40 with CDS and I'm very happy with it. I have a Swaro 4x12x50 BT on the 280AI, it is nicer that the Luppy, but the Luppy is hard to beat for the money.

P6180554_zpsf19f6584.jpg

OP
M
Funny thing is your pics and reviews are a part of what made me decide to go with the platinum membership over the gold or silver! Thanks for your input. I have been a yearly member of BHA for the last several years, and am excited to step it up a notch!

Stid2677

WKR
Just a quick tip for anyone that has a Kimber MA,, both mine had the set screw that locks the firing pin come loose. This allows the firing pin to move and can cause misfires. I backed both mine out and added some Lock Tite to the threads and tightened them back up.

Just an FYI

OP
M
Just a quick tip for anyone that has a Kimber MA,, both mine had the set screw that locks the firing pin come loose. This allows the firing pin to move and can cause misfires. I backed both mine out and added some Lock Tite to the threads and tightened them back up.

Just an FYI

Thanks for the tip!

Mtnboy

WKR
Zeiss Terra series is pretty close to that price range.

I just picked one up for a Tikka but haven't had a chance to get it mounted and shoot with it yet.

Just an FYI

Ive had my action screw fall out on a sheep hunt.

16Bore

WKR
Leupie M8 6x42 M1 elevation turret. Should be able to pick up that scope for about $230, M1 will run $100ish.

VernAK

WKR
You went all out for the lightest in rifles so there's no sense in putting a heavy scope on it.......and for reliability to last those 200 years.....as several above are saying....go with leupold 4X or 6X.......

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member

Just an FYI

Thanks for the heads up!

That rifle just begs for a Leupold FXII 6x36. Great optics, in your price range... and only 10oz.

have this scope on my go to deer rifle winchester featherweight compact 243. got tired of fumbling with the variable and 6 is a good choice for my area hunting 50-100 yard shots

AZ Vince

WKR
I put a Zeiss Conquest 3 - 9 X 40 with a Z 600 reticle on my 30-06.
If you can find one they might be a good option to consider. Zeiss no longer makes them but there are a few still out there. The Terra replaced the Conquest.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing about mounting a scope on the long action is you may need extended bases to get the scope to move rearward enough. I'd go leupold of some sort. VX2 3-9 would fit that long action better than the 2.5-8 vx3

16Bore

WKR
have this scope on my go to deer rifle winchester featherweight compact 243. got tired of fumbling with the variable and 6 is a good choice for my area hunting 50-100 yard shots

500 aint no thang, if you don't mind 13.5oz...

OP
M
I ended up going with a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 with the CDS. Now, if the Kimber would just show up!