Scope mounting loctite or not?

CampSmith

FNG
Does that mean you can’t show a clear picture of your heavily used, non babied, drops, and bumped muzzleloader?
That's an ultra light muzzleloader 7lbs scoped. Using a 280 grain bullet behind 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 traveling 2049 fps. Nearly 49 ftlbs of recoil energy. Poi never moves no loctite on rings torqued to Warne specs. Lightly oiled screws.

Last edited:

Duh

WKR
Question about manufacturers of rings here. @Formidilosus did you have take part or help in the development/testing of unknownmunitions premier and tikka rings? If so, what is their recommendation on loctite on their screws? I’m not well versed in their torque specs right now but I thought they were around the 25inch lbs for spec too?

Sandstrom

WKR
Question about manufacturers of rings here. @Formidilosus did you have take part or help in the development/testing of unknownmunitions premier and tikka rings? If so, what is their recommendation on loctite on their screws? I’m not well versed in their torque specs right now but I thought they were around the 25inch lbs for spec too?
IMG_1701.png
IMG_1702.png

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
One is pretty easy, they didn't try it with loctite, so they don't recommend it.
They probably didn't try anything to be perfectly honest. This isn't a complex machine. Its a clamp load, and there's nothing to test in their eyes. And if they recommend too much torque, someone will want the ring mfr to pay for bent fragile scope tube. Which ring mfrs have tested what exactly?

A second is a bonus ... there are multiple types of loctite.
You're right. But the thread is clearly about blue loctite. If you need the number, its 242 or 243. I, and no one else, is recommending anything else. Purple is honestly great too though, just lesser known.

Third, should they simply say thread locker since loctite is a brand.
You're right. Im talking about any threadlocker. I use "Loctite" as a general term for threadlocker like many. I looked it up and that behavior called "genericide". The response you have is "deflecting"

I still fail to see what reason there is not to use threadlocker in this application

jimh406

WKR
I still fail to see what reason there is not to use threadlocker in this application
If you go back and look, I clearly say I use loctite early in this thread.

However, someone asked a question in their post about why don't manufacturers recommend it, and I responded to it just like I responded to your post.

Yet pretty much every scope manufacturer and ring manufacturer say don’t use loctite on the scope ring portion. So there is that. They wouldn’t add that for no reason.

I don’t think they ship the screws “greased.” I think they have a bit of something on them to prevent them from being rusty when you get them.

I have never heard one time to grease a ring screw before this thread. I have heard not to use loctite 1000 times.

All info is not created equal.

The reason they say not to use it is because they get tired of warrantying or consulting with customers that strip their screw heads out trying to remove them after using loctite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampSmith

FNG
I mentioned many manufacturers don't recommend loctite on rings only bases. Really all depends on preference do what makes you happy and works for you. I personally never used it on rings just bases and never had a scope vibrate loose.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Question about manufacturers of rings here. @Formidilosus did you have take part or help in the development/testing of unknownmunitions premier and tikka rings? If so, what is their recommendation on loctite on their screws?

Yes. 55in-lbs on base screws, 28-32in-lbs on ring cap screws. These torque values were correctly figured using the correct clamping force for the respective screw size. All of their screws are degreased prior to shipping, and yes to thread locker.
UM now degreases and thread locks (blue Loctite), every screw, on every rifle that they put together.

Duh

WKR
Yes. 55in-lbs on base screws, 28-32in-lbs on ring cap screws. These torque values were correctly figured using the correct clamping force for the respective screw size. All of their screws are degreased prior to shipping, and yes to thread locker.
UM now degreases and thread locks (blue Loctite), every screw, on every rifle that they put together.
Good deal. Seems to be contrary to the other ring companies we’re talking about here and some actual knowledge of testing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Good deal. Seems to be contrary to the other ring companies we’re talking about here and some actual knowledge of testing.

I can all but guarantee that there were more rounds fired, with more legit experimentation, “testing”, and feedback before the Tikka rings were shipped to any customer, than any ring in history. The engineer that did the calculations and developed the torque specs, that we then went and proofed heavily is a legit shooter that understands what needs to happen to make loss of zero a near impossibility from screws coming loose due to inadequate torque and/or failure to thread lock.

Reactions: Duh
That's an ultra light muzzleloader 7lbs scoped. Using a 280 grain bullet behind 120 grains of Blackhorn 209 traveling 2049 fps. Nearly 49 ftlbs of recoil energy. Poi never moves no loctite on rings torqued to Warne specs. Lightly oiled screws.
The recoil impulse from a muzzleloader is extremely slow and therefore much milder than the forces from a high velocity rifle

I like green loctite because it is gapfilling

Axlrod

WKR
I mentioned many manufacturers don't recommend loctite on rings only bases. Really all depends on preference do what makes you happy and works for you. I personally never used it on rings just bases and never had a scope vibrate loose.
So why do you loctite your bases? To keep them from coming loose? And why don't you loctite your rings? You don't care if they come loose?

Dobermann

WKR
Dude. If you’re a moderator you need to lighten up. Sorry if you’re having a bad day but don’t take it out on me.
Dude. Form wasn't having a bad day; he's trying to tell you facts based on actual testing across multiple platforms over many years.

Many of us have come on here as new guys and repeated stuff we'd been told was true, or things we thought "were" true, or should be true. Form has either offered his experience - usually with evidence to back it up - and/or invited us to do our own testing. Most who've followed the "open your ears, shut your mouth" approach have learnt a lot ... and not embarrassed themselves as much in the process.

We used to have a guy here who recommended reading and not posting for the first six months ... it was sage advice.

Anyway, welcome. You're among friends here. Just friends who don't suffer foolishness. :)

Dude. Form wasn't having a bad day; he's trying to tell you facts based on actual testing across multiple platforms over many years.

Many of us have come on here as new guys and repeated stuff we'd been told was true, or things we thought "were" true, or should be true. Form has either offered his experience - usually with evidence to back it up - and/or invited us to do our own testing. Most who've followed the "open your ears, shut your mouth" approach have learnt a lot ... and not embarrassed themselves as much in the process.

We used to have a guy here who recommended reading and not posting for the first six months ... it was sage advice.

Anyway, welcome. You're among friends here. Just friends who don't suffer foolishness. :)
Nah. He was being a jerk and you know it.

He spouted a lot of opinion like it was fact. And it wasn’t. Stating one stastic of loctite with a bunch of opinion doesn’t make the whole thing correct.

This place is awesome. Love it. Didn’t love a moderator acting condescending while telling us his personal experience (the very very worst form of evidence) overruled me, gunsmiths, every major scope manufacturer, Talley, warne, and everyone else. Go back and read it and you’ll probably see how high horse it was

And. It’s a message board. I’m fine. So are you. We will all be fine.

Duh

WKR
Nah. He was being a jerk and you know it.

He spouted a lot of opinion like it was fact. And it wasn’t. Stating one stastic of loctite with a bunch of opinion doesn’t make the whole thing correct.

This place is awesome. Love it. Didn’t love a moderator acting condescending while telling us his personal experience (the very very worst form of evidence) overruled me, gunsmiths, every major scope manufacturer, Talley, warne, and everyone else. Go back and read it and you’ll probably see how high horse it was

And. It’s a message board. I’m fine. So are you. We will all be fine.
Dude read the question I asked him above about the unknownmunitions rings that he helped test before they came to production. I’d consider unknownmunitions to be on the upper tier of quality rings and they literally go against what your “major” manufacturers recommend because they legit tested before releasing.

I’m not usually the first person to come stroke the guy off on these debates but he’s got some great knowledge.