Scope mounting issues

Grundy53

WKR
I'm not sure what is going on. There are several variables, so I'm having a tough time narrowing down the problem. I just got my rifle back from getting a new barrel and bottom metal installed. I mounted a new to me scope. So, three new factors. I went to sight it in and ran out of down adjustment with it still shooting 9 inches high. I went home and swapped the bases and rings. Used a laser bore sight and now I'm running out of up adjustment and the cross hairs are still too high (so it will shoot low). Swapped to a different scope and rings. Same problem. I thought maybe the stock and action weren't seeted right. So I took it apart and put it back together. Still the same problem. What should I do?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of scope? If it's one that uses shims for a zero stop there could be shims installed that are limiting your travel.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Nightforce SHV 4-14x50. I looked and didn't see any. The other scope is an SWFA 3-15. It doesn't have a zero stop.

Is it a pic rail, or direct mount rings? If there is a 20 moa base built in and it or the rings are backwards that could cause an issue. not sure with out more info on specifics on rifle and mounts.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Is it a pic rail, or direct mount rings? If there is a 20 moa base built in and it or the rings are backwards that could cause an issue. not sure with out more info on specifics on rifle and mounts.
Remington 700. 2 piece picatinny. Neither were 20 moa. Nightforce X-treme duty and Warne Maxima rings.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Photos may help as well as Scope Type and if it on a rail or what. Also I am slightly confused as it was shooting high and now you are saying it is shooting low?
Yeah, I'm confused too. I'll get some pictures

JMundy84

Lil-Rokslider
I'd lose the 2 piece and get a 1 piece pic rail and bed it to start

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
d155735de5c122b4dc4e27fae6f572ee.jpg
2b35c5ddd46f4ee074a37a7aac7a8572.jpg

rbaney

FNG
It could be me but the one picture that scope looks like it is head Nose down. Maybe remove the scope and place a good straight edge across those two mounts and see if one is definitely higher than the other. Other than that a one piece rail would be very good starting point.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
It could be me but the one picture that scope looks like it is head Nose down. Maybe remove the scope and place a good straight edge across those two mounts and see if one is definitely higher than the other. Other than that a one piece rail would be very good starting point.
I'll do that. I just ordered a one-piece also.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Are the front and rear base's swapped? I've never seen that much hang over into the action area on a 2 piece base?

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Looks pretty straight.
3ab2f42838c769cde9c39a3245d0ac78.jpg

rbaney

FNG
Well you can do the same basic check with rings on the bases and see how that goes. You can try just the bottom half of each ring and use the straight edge and rule all that stuff out. Other than that I don't have any knowledge on the scope itself maybe somebody else does.

Have you actually shot it. My bore sighter was far enough off I quit using it. Only once have I had an issue of running out of adjustment.