<$1000, <14 ounces, 10X max magnification scope - Options?

cwpepper

FNG
Looking for a rifle scope that is:

Magnification: 9-10x maximum
Price range: Under $1000
Reticle: MOA (I have liked the ‘drop lines’ for 300yds, 400yds and 500yds and used Vortex dead-hold bdc previously and find those helpful in hunting situation where dialing may not be possible)
Weight: 14 ounces or less
Purpose: Backcountry hunting rifle 7 PRC in all western states [I.e. wouldn’t want to run the Sig BDX]

Current options I found so far have been below, but I am certainly no expert on this, so I'm looking for other options or comments on the options below:
- Maven RS.2 2-10x38, 12.4oz, $550 Retail
- Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40, 13.4oz, Retail $935 (read good reviews on this, but doesn't appear to have drop lines)
- Swarovski Z3 3-10x42, 12.7oz, Retail $966

FFP would also be great, but not a top priority.

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
If you read much here you’re going to hear the Trijicon. I have the Maven and the Swaro, no issues with either. When I buy another one it will be a Swaro, I’d hit up Doug.

There’s also the Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in that weight range, I’d put it right there with the Maven. My wife has one on her 243.

I just picked up a couple Trijicon Huron scopes from EuroOptic for $269 after "welcome10" code. 3-9x40, assume they're rugged though they've not been tested the brand is at least well respected. They both have the BDC you're interested in as well. I'd think the AccuPoint would be a much better scope overall though.

I’m quite fond of my SWFA ultralight and it held up well on the drop test

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Maven and ended up sending it back. Pretty poor eye box and eye relief. Seems to be a problem with a lot of their scopes.

Macintosh

WKR
The accupoint you are looking at is available with a mil-dot reticle, which I consider better than the distance-based hashmarks b/c you can more easily adjust for cartridge and elevation changes (ie the 300yard line, 400yard line, etc is no longer accurate with a different loading or if you go up or down in elevation). Europtic and some others also have these considerably less $ than the msrp. With a 100 yard zero most cartridges have extremely easy holds out to 400 or so, it’ll be very close to .5mil=200, 1mil=300, 2mil=400

ljalberta

WKR
If you read much here you’re going to hear the Trijicon. I have the Maven and the Swaro, no issues with either. When I buy another one it will be a Swaro, I’d hit up Doug.

There’s also the Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in that weight range, I’d put it right there with the Maven. My wife has one on her 243.

I had that leupold scope. Loved the size, weight, and mag range. But it would love zero from a bumpy ride in the truck.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
Thank you all for the comments. Super helpful, I have a little bit of time before I purchase so I’ll keep reviewing further comments and potentially other brands/models. If I go the swaro route, which has me intrigued, I’ll reach out to Doug. Trijicon has me interested still though (accupoint over credo [17oz] for weight). Will probably rule out the maven after the feedback here shared.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
The accupoint you are looking at is available with a mil-dot reticle, which I consider better than the distance-based hashmarks b/c you can more easily adjust for cartridge and elevation changes (ie the 300yard line, 400yard line, etc is no longer accurate with a different loading or if you go up or down in elevation). Europtic and some others also have these considerably less $ than the msrp. With a 100 yard zero most cartridges have extremely easy holds out to 400 or so, it’ll be very close to .5mil=200, 1mil=300, 2mil=400
Thank you. Without turning the thread into a MIL / MOA discussion I’d share I prefer MOA.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
Thank you. Without turning the thread into a MIL / MOA discussion I’d share I’m set on MOA.
They make at least a few accupoint and credo models with “moa-dot” reticles, just for people who fall on the incorrect side of the moa vs mil debate. My post stands, Id still way rather have a simple reticle like these with evenly-spaced graduations (mil or moa) versus a scope with range-based graduations, for the reasons I outlined above.
Example:

SloppyJ

WKR
They make at least a few accupoint and credo models with “moa-dot” reticles, just for people who fall on the incorrect side of the moa vs mil debate. My post stands, Id still way rather have a simple reticle like these with evenly-spaced graduations (mil or moa) versus a scope with range-based graduations, for the reasons I outlined above.
Example:
Regardless of what camp your in, MOA or Mil, I don't think that anyone here would argue that a BDC type reticle is better than anything. It should be last on the list IMO. I'd rather have a straight duplex, or if I do have holds, that they're in my chosen measurement system rather than a BDC that is randomly assigned by god knows who.

OP
C

cwpepper

FNG
These are really good points and I'm getting sold on the idea of prioritizing all the options before any of the pre-assigned ranges. I threw up some ballistic charts on the Swaro BDX in their ballistics calculator and I do not like the numbers aligning to the lines whatsoever (random yardages at random increments). That said I still would like to get MOA clicks over MIL.

It appears that on the Accupoints for 3-9x (which is only version under 14oz it looks like), the only reticles with dashes are MIL. As a follow up question, of the other reticles, Duplex/Triangle post, does anyone have insight on those? Colors? I'd like to gather as much information possible before making a purchase.

One other note - it looks like the Swaro would not be supported with the UM scope rings as it is 1", so another reason to lean towards the Trijicon so one could use the UM rings.

1699039126049.png

Last edited:

CBAKER11

FNG
These are really good points and I'm getting sold on the idea of prioritizing all the options before any of the pre-assigned ranges. I threw up some ballistic charts on the Swaro BDX in their ballistics calculator and I do not like the numbers aligning to the lines whatsoever (random yardages at random increments). That said I still would like to get MOA clicks over MIL.

It appears that on the Accupoints for 3-9x (which is only version under 14oz it looks like), the only reticles with dashes are MIL. As a follow up question, of the other reticles, Duplex/Triangle post, does anyone have insight on those? Colors? I'd like to gather as much information possible before making a purchase.

One other note - it looks like the Swaro would not be supported with the UM scope rings as it is 1", so another reason to lean towards the Trijicon so one could use the UM rings.

View attachment 622114

This model accupoint has a 1 inch tube also

CBAKER11

FNG
The mil dot reticle 3-9 accupoint has MOA turrets if that matters to you. The reticle is the only thing in MILS. I have the green mil dot one on a t3x superlite and really like it. Rifle, rings, and scope weighs in at 7lbs even.