300WM Scope Recommendations

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got enough Cabelas Gift Cards for a Tikka 300 Win Mag. I'm considering selling some rifles and using this as my primary western rifle. But I will need a scope for it.

I've been working through a bunch of threads to read about the different scopes.

I want this to be my "The One" rifle. My do-everything rifle, and I want it to be there for the long haul. Therefore I am willing to go with a higher end scope.

I don't want to go crazy with a $2,500 Nightforce scope, "just because." Not opposed to a $2500 Nightforce/Schmitt-Bender. But what's that getting me other than a $1k Vortex or Leupold?

I've always had Leupolds and Vortex scopes and never had an issue. (Yes I know Rocksliders aren't Leupold fans, but I've never had an issue with mine.) The VX5s are the Leupold's FFP and for that price I might as well go Nightforce. I'm not familiar with Nightforce. I've only ever shot one rifle with a Nightforce scope.

I want a First Focal Plane. I'm not a big fan of clicks/zero stop, because I prefer to shoot hold overs.

Not that I can't have both, but in my hunting situations, I find simpler is better. I usually range find my area and then if an animal shows, just shoot hold overs.

I'm considering: Leupold, Nightforce, Vortex, Schmitt-Bender. But I'm also open to other suggestions. I've looked at Burris, Zeiss, Trijicon....

I'd like a hunting scope from 3-18 power, doesn't have to have an illuminated reticle.

Too many options.

Could check out the new maven rs1.2. Although the mil versions are out of stock I think sounds like they will be restocked by the end of Jan.

flyguyskt

FNG
you asked what the high end glass gets you over the vortex... go compare them in twilight conditions side by side and you will never ask that question again... this of course takes into consideration your actual eye balls and vision, are you color blind??? near signed, far sighted??

I Always buy high end glass. For me there are only 2 real options. zeiss or Leica. period ... WHY? My 20/10 eyes(since LASIK 12 years ago) DO NOT like the crazy brightness/contrast that most other high end glass offers. Swaro is the worst, it blows my brain and eyes apart after looking through them for 10 minutes. Vortex pffft not a fan at all, great warranty. leupold , never liked the blend I get from them. S n B is great glass but nobody has them to look through around me in the Midwest/west.
Athlon is pretty good glass also for less of a budget.

SOL2

FNG
1500 will get into most of the mid priced options.

Bushnell XRSII or DMRII Pro
Burris XTRIII
Sig Tango 6
Athlon Cronus
Leupold MK5
Add 100 GenII Razor

Clark33

WKR
Good options listed above, the 2.5-20 NX8 can be found used for around 1500-1700 as well. Another good durable option

OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Good options listed above, the 2.5-20 NX8 can be found used for around 1500-1700 as well. Another good durable option

Ideally I'd like a Nightforce, just because I know their basically the best. If this is going to be my "One" rifle, I'm willing to buy the best.

What's the difference between all the different variations of Nightforce?

I see their SHV ones are $1000...?

Clark33

WKR
The SHV’s are solid too, see used ones for around 800-900. Main differences are glass and the SHV has a zero set while the nx8’s have a zero stop, probably some internal differences. But I’m sure someone with more knowledge on them might be able to shed some light on the differences. @Formidilosus help a brother out

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
SWFA 3-15

Everyone on RokSlide is really high on these SWFA. I've never even seen one, but why? I'm not familiar with them at all.

Not trying to be upset or anything, I'm honestly asking.

Hate to be that guy but a tikka 300wm sounds like crappy "one do-all rifle" to have. Aint no fun getting beat up like one does with a 6.5# 300wm tikka.

My 1-2 punch for now will likely be SWFA 3-9 when really weight conscious and Maven RS1.2 at other times.

270quest

WKR
Hard to beat the S&B Klassik 3-12x42 that eurooptic has- especially at $12-1300....Not disparaging any other scopes, but S&B are truly world class optics. Zeiss V4 series also offers a lot of good things for the $800-1k price range.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone on RokSlide is really high on these SWFA. I've never even seen one, but why? I'm not familiar with them at all.

Not trying to be upset or anything, I'm honestly asking.
Dial reliably
They don't shift POV when used, dropped, etc. in a hunting scenario

Reasonable weight (not light but not SHV Nightforce heavy either)
Simple yet effective clutter free reticle
Glass is good enough
Offered in a mil/mil option

the list of scopes that meet those criteria above - not my data, just repeating @Formidilosus and others work - is quite short: SWFA, Nightforce, some Trijicons, and (likely) Maven RS1.2.

The SWFAs are also reasonably priced for the reliability they provide. The non-HD models offer more than sufficient glass. The HD models (eg 3-9) offer great glass.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Dial reliably
They don't shift POV when used, dropped, etc. in a hunting scenario

Reasonable weight (not light but not SHV Nightforce heavy either)
Simple yet effective clutter free reticle
Glass is good enough
Offered in a mil/mil option

the list of scopes that meet those criteria above - not my data, just repeating @Formidilosus and others work - is quite short: SWFA, Nightforce, some Trijicons, and (likely) Maven RS1.2.

The SWFAs are also reasonably priced for the reliability they provide. The non-HD models offer more than sufficient glass. The HD models (eg 3-9) offer great glass.

Am I missing something, went on their website and don't see an MOA option?

I prefer MOA instead of MIL.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Am I missing something, went on their website and don't see an MOA option?

I prefer MOA instead of MIL.
I’m pretty sure they have in the past… its seems SWFA is in some state of transition/update of their product line - Rok’rs haven’t been a fan… there is an ”I love SWFA” thread somewhere around here.

Mowata

FNG
The SHV’s are solid too, see used ones for around 800-900. Main differences are glass and the SHV has a zero set while the nx8’s have a zero stop, probably some internal differences. But I’m sure someone with more knowledge on them might be able to shed some light on the differences. @Formidilosus help a brother out
I would like to find out the difference in the glass, I read on here that the glass is the same in the SHV and the NXS versions. I own a NXS and am now looking for a SHV for another rifle. I think I will call Doug at cameralaNY for his opinion.