Scope Leveling; Instruction that ran counter to everything I thought I knew

wapitibob

WKR
It still applies. A canted rifle with a plumb to ground scope will still need an offset entered into the solver to correct for the cant. If you don't there will be horizontal error just as in purely canting the rifle. It may be different with the level scope but there will still be error if not corrected for.

agreed

It still applies. A canted rifle with a plumb to ground scope will still need an offset entered into the solver to correct for the cant. If you don't there will be horizontal error just as in purely canting the rifle. It may be different with the level scope but there will still be error if not corrected for.
Isn’t that true for all long range shots? It’s just a math problem. Yes, this adds another variable. But it can be solved for just like all the other multitude of variables.

If it puts shooter in a more natural firing position it might be worth the other variable.

I relate this to a golf swing or throwing a football. For years coaches tried to “correct” poor mechanics in both at all costs.

Now, they correct some but allow others to continue if they are getting good results. Look at Scottie shefflers swing or Patrick mahomes throws. In the past some coach would have ruined them trying to retrain them to the “standard.” Thank God both continued with tweaking only of their flaws.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
A bit of a red herring, but related to some comments when scrolling through this thread...

In having shot with and/or instructed multiple hundreds of shooters over the years, I can tell you that without a doubt the least safe, poorly trained, and lack of competency after day 1 of instruction places current and ex military members in dead last place overall. If you think our military is churning out Bucky Barnes on a whim you are sadly mistaken. My youngest brother received some "expert level" marksmanship badge in the army back in the early 2000's and he is the first to admit that he sucked, and still sucks at shooting because he never does it anymore.

The most effective and repeatable shooters after instruction, on average, are females aged 20ish to 50ish.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
This is exactly why the offset function in AB and Shooter exists.

AB cannot account for a scope that is out-of-plumb with a rifle bore. The sight-in offset function does not work that way do anything in the app

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
No, it is discussing two different things. Result of a horizontal offset from POI doesn't chang that.

The error induced by an offset scope is a fixed angular error at all ranges. The error induced by a scope out of plumb is a variable angler error that changes as you dial.

Mathematically simple example. If you cant the scope at 45 degrees then every 1 mil of elevation adjustment up will move the impact point up 0.5 mils up and 0.5 mils lateral.

The first key to avoid
So many of these dumb arguments
is to know what is being discussed.

Mindlessly quoting things one doesn't understand, while a favorite pass time of mine when it comes to @Formidilosus , is not particularly helpful. Now, I'm going to get back to loading TMKs in my 22 LR for an upcoming elephant hunt while chugging Kool aid.

Bugger

Lil-Rokslider
edit, cancelled that thought. I was thinking about just the zero angle between the two styles and not the compounding effect of scope offset.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
AB cannot account for a scope that is out-of-plumb with a rifle bore. The sight-in offset function does not work that way

If you cant a rifle the scope is not mounted directly over the bore of the barrel anymore.

What exactly does AB's description of Sight Offset mean or do then??? Please tell.

Screen Shot 2024-10-28 at 3.22.39 PM.png

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It's official, I caught up on 6 pages. The surveyor in me is going to have to just stay out of this one... YIKES!

Macintosh

WKR
I believe this is the setting in AB:

IMG_6115.jpeg

It is grouped with the height over bore so it seems to be “measurement to the side of bore”. If it isnt what’s being discussed, what is it?

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If you cant a rifle the scope is not mounted directly over the bore of the barrel anymore.

What exactly does AB's description of Sight Offset mean or do then??? Please tell.

View attachment 783080
Input a scope offset of something crazy like 6" and run the calc. It doesnt do anything to the result

I'll edit my above comment. I agree that that function SHOULD BE the solution to the problem posed by the OP, based on description you shared. I simply have noticed that it does nothing at all to the calculator

Having agreed with your point, it would be very difficult to accurately measure your scope cant and then put in the scope-offset accordingly. Far simpler to just mount it close to plumb with the bore

Last edited: