Scope for Sheep Hunt

sherudam

FNG
I am looking for suggestions on a scope for a rifle build that is currently being worked on. My previous sheep rifle was a 300WSM on a Borden Timberline Mid Size Action with a #4 Hart Barrel and a McMillan Sporter stock. The gun has a Z5 5-25 on it and weighs in at 7lbs flat unloaded. It has served me well, but my concerns moving forward has been that the action gets pretty sticky to cycle in harsh environments and even though I haven't had issues I know the tube is pretty thin and I am worried if I ever dropped it would I have any issues. Also, I would like to switch to a FFP scope and a scope that has more vertical turret adjustment.

My new gun is a 7 PRC on a Defiant Titanium Action with a 20in Proof Research Barrel and a Pure Precision Carbon Fiber Stock. My setup is pretty light to give me some more wiggle room with scope weight. I would like to whole set-up to come in the 8-9lb range. I don't mind having something that is not ultra lightweight if its a little better on recoil and keeping on an animal. Budget really isn't a big issue. The scopes I have been considering are the Schmidt and Bender 5-25 PM II, the Kahles K525i, the Leupold Mark 5, and the Nightforce NX8 8-32. My biggest concerns are: 1. Ability to easily see the reticle at close ranges and low magnification (I have heard the NX8 is difficult to see the reticle at low mag). This is by far my biggest concerns between scopes. 2. The ability to keep a zero and track even after being dropped (I have heard the Mark 5 hasn't had the best results with drops tests). 3. If any of these scopes are not practical to be carrying in an ultra harsh environment. 4. Light gathering ability.

Any advice or experience with any of these scopes in a backcountry hunting situation would be greatly appreciated.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Any particular reason for moon gazing levels of zoom? What is the requirement there? Do you plan to also varmint hunt or very very long range target shoot with the rifle?

For a sheep rifle I would put a SWFA 3-9HD on it with a reliable mounting system for it. FFP and their MIL Quad reticle is the bees knees for hunting and long range killing.

OP
S

sherudam

FNG
I guess I don't need a zoom that is super extreme. For the most part there is no weight penalty to having more zoom so I figured I could target practice at distances I wouldn't hunt at to build confidence in shooting. THE NX8 has a 20X option for example, but weight and cost difference is almost nonexistent.

I plan to build a similar rifle soon and short of any new releases from Nightforce plan to go with the NX8 2.5-20. The 4-14 SHV F1 is a lower priced consideration. The ATACR 4-16 a higher priced consideration.

Rokslide loves to recommend SWFA scopes, for good reason, but I've never seen one in-stock.

Definitely look at the March line of scopes. 3-24x42 or 3-24x52. I run the 42 on my sheep rifle and absolutely love it. Clear glass, holds zero, tracks flawless and 22 ounces. My sheep rifle weighs 6lbs 9 ounces with that scope.