Scope for my new Kimber!

LitenFast

WKR
I just picked up a new to me Kimber 8400 in 300WSM. I bought it from my brother in law who needed a new toy. I saved a few hundred, and I know this one shoots well.

So, I am looking into scopes, my BIL had a beautiful Huskemaw 5-20x50 on it that he wasn't willing to part with. He is in love with these and thinks its the only way to go if I want to spend that much, looks like 1k for the 3-12x42.

That might be steep for my blood, but I am open to hearing from others with experience with those.

I am planning on using this rifle in WY mostly where my BIL lives, and hopefully a few backpack trips if things go right. I don't plan on (currently anyway) doing any shooting over 500yds, much closer if I can help it, but it might be fun to practice out to 500. So weight is a factor.

Budget: I would love to spend around 500, but that is negotiable

Is there any reason a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44 at right around 500 isn't the perfect fit?

I have a Leupold VX-3 on my .30-06, that I like, but haven't tried much else

School me!

I don't know this from personal expirence but my gunsmith told me the scopes coming out if leupold lately are garbage. He doesn't hate leupold either because he had me put one on the custom he built for me about a year and a half ago. Vortex is the best value, I just ordered a pst in fact, but a little heavy. For weight, quality and the ranges you want to shoot I would get a Ziess with a rapid z reticle. I think you can find an older model conquest in about that price range.

ltlacorn

FNG
Vortex is very good. I have a couple Viper HS (not HS LR) and very happy with them. Great optic for the price.

Hardstalk

WKR
I put the 2.5-10 hs on my recent build and love it. Eventually Ill jump up the power a bit. I feel ya on the budget. Even as a dealer its tough to bite the bullet on scopes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380595843.768290.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1380595867.709761.jpg. Rifle scopes are one of those items that people have their decision and 9/10 times its stuck. Nightforce, huskemaw, swaro. Each have a crowd and getting the die hards to look thru another scope or give an opinion on another scope is like pulling teeth! Vortex offers a great product and I really like the clarity of your choice thus far.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like my Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. I have the B&C reticule and it's been bomb proof. Lots of rough trips and a few dead critters. I wish Vortex made a similar size scope to compare, but for a lightweight rig it's the cat's meow. ;)

AZ Vince

WKR
I don't know this from personal expirence but my gunsmith told me the scopes coming out if leupold lately are garbage. He doesn't hate leupold either because he had me put one on the custom he built for me about a year and a half ago. Vortex is the best value, I just ordered a pst in fact, but a little heavy. For weight, quality and the ranges you want to shoot I would get a Ziess with a rapid z reticle. I think you can find an older model conquest in about that price range.

I really like the Rapid Z reticle that Zeiss has.
If it were me, and I'm saving up for another HD5 Zeiss as I type this, I'd save a little more and get a good scope. For me that's a Zeiss because, as I already stated, I prefer their R600 and R800 reticles. You may like something else. Start looking through scopes and asking questions. Another scope option would be Minox. They use the same Schott glass as Zeiss but it's not as clear in dim light given that their coatings are different.

Shrek

WKR
If you check out Cameralandny.com 's deal of the day from june 7th they have the Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 rapid z800 for $499. If it's listed it's still available and the rapid z800 is the reticle that would match up best with a 300 wsm. For the ranges you are talking about it is good . You will not be disappointed in the glass .
Cameralandny.com is a RS sponsor and the deal of the day is the last category under products.

KMD

Banned
I really like my Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm. I have the B&C reticule and it's been bomb proof. Lots of rough trips and a few dead critters. I wish Vortex made a similar size scope to compare, but for a lightweight rig it's the cat's meow. ;)

I concur. The 2.5-8x36 is the only Leupy scope I still own.
Also, if you can find someone dumb enough to sell one, the old Kahles Helia CLs are a phenomenal 1" tubed scope for a lightweight hunting stick...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I concur. The 2.5-8x36 is the only Leupy scope I still own.
Also, if you can find someone dumb enough to sell one, the old Kahles Helia CLs are a phenomenal 1" tubed scope for a lightweight hunting stick...
I can't believe no one is mimicking it in terms of the specs. At just 11.4ozs its hard to beat for what you get... With the Boone & Crockett reticule I don't need to do any dialing for as far out as I am willing to shoot.

KMD

Banned
Yep.
As it goes, I'm not a fan of BDC reticles. But that little Leupy on a lightweight rig is just about perfect. Just re-confirmed my 4 & 500 yd subtensions for this hunting season. X-hair POI is 1/2" high @ 200yds, so my 7-08/120TSXs is easy 0-275yds point blank x-hair hold on a deer sized critter. Never had to bother with the BDC drops, only to goof around & bang steel...
predators2012023_zpsb44fb447.jpg

Same scope would be dandy on a Kimber :)

I love my swarovski Z3 3-10 x 42 with BRH reticle. Lightweight and super clear, especially in low light. I also found the BRH reticle to be great, along with the swaro ballistic app. Simply zero at any range and it will spit out a range card. I found it to be tremendously accurate out to 500 yards.

I also have a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 x 44 BT, NIB, that I'm considering upgrading to - can't make up my mind which I want to keep and which I want to sell. I have had nothing but positive experience with the Z3, but I like the higher power and BT on the Z5. Decisions, decisions.....

The rifle is a Browning x-bolt stainless stalker in 300 wsm by the way.

OP
L

LitenFast

WKR
I love vortex, but wish they'd come out with something lighter!

I am liking the weight and price of the Leupy VX-3 2.5-8x36, I have been told to look at the VX-2 2-7x33, just under 10oz and available with CDS for 350$ The price no CDS is only 330$ The tough part is the difference in price from the vx-2 to the vx-3 is only 70$ for a bit more mag and objective size, but gain 1.5oz. I have heard the vx-2 would be hard to tell from the vx-3 in these two models in a blind midday test, but you may gain a few minutes dawn and dusk.

Damn this is tough! Now I need to go look through them both!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
My Kimber 84M in 308 is an utlra light coming in at 4 pounds 13 oz without a scope or rings so in an effort to keep it as light as possible I put a VX-2 ultralight 3-9X33 w/CDS on it. Your Kimber 300 WSM should be about 6 pounds 3 oz before rings and scope, so I wouldn't get too much caught up in an oz or two here or there. Get some talley rings and get either a VX-2 4-12-40 w/AO or a VX-3 3.5-10X40...both are great scopes. I really like the ultralight scopes myself as I also have a 2-7X28 on my Browning Mountain TI and have taken caribou, deer, sheep, grizz, and black bear so far with it this year being the first year I've owned it....so I'd say so far so good. :D

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me the CDS was one thing I did not want to mess with. I understand the draw, and it is tempting. But for me I found I do better the simpler I keep things. Thus I went with the VX-3 2.5-8x36 with the B&C Reticule. I got my load developed and then spent some time shooting to figure out what the different hash marks correlated with in terms of yardage. My personal limit is 500 yards, and I probably don't shoot enough to even try that, but so be it. : ) If you like the idea of the CDS and want that feature I think Luke is spot on and that little 2-7x33 is a great option. But, if you want to keep it simple, the B&C reticule is pretty darn handy. I have a light weight Mt rifle in .308 and 2 KS Custom SS Mt Rifles in .338 WM and I am slowly moving them all to the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm with the B&C.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For me the CDS was one thing I did not want to mess with. I understand the draw, and it is tempting. But for me I found I do better the simpler I keep things. Thus I went with the VX-3 2.5-8x36 with the B&C Reticule. I got my load developed and then spent some time shooting to figure out what the different hash marks correlated with in terms of yardage. My personal limit is 500 yards, and I probably don't shoot enough to even try that, but so be it. : ) If you like the idea of the CDS and want that feature I think Luke is spot on and that little 2-7x33 is a great option. But, if you want to keep it simple, the B&C reticule is pretty darn handy. I have a light weight Mt rifle in .308 and 2 KS Custom SS Mt Rifles in .338 WM and I am slowly moving them all to the VX-3 2.5-8x36mm with the B&C.

The thing I didn't like about the B&C reticle is that its only accurate at a certain zoom range for a given load so you have to be sure you are zoomed to the correct zoom power for it to truly be accurate and what that zoom power is depends on the load you are shooting. Granted once you figure that out you can leave it at that zoom power all the time to ensure it'll stay there, but I hike with my rifle at lowest power and only turn it up if I have time. Just my thoughts. Currently I have yet to actually use the CDS but I like the simplicity of a clean cross hair and if I get more into long range (for me, which is like 500 yards and less) I'll likely be a fun thing to tinker with. Just one of those things like Ford Vs. Chevy. No wrong way about it.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thing I didn't like about the B&C reticle is that its only accurate at a certain zoom range for a given load so you have to be sure you are zoomed to the correct zoom power for it to truly be accurate and what that zoom power is depends on the load you are shooting. Granted once you figure that out you can leave it at that zoom power all the time to ensure it'll stay there, but I hike with my rifle at lowest power and only turn it up if I have time. Just my thoughts. Currently I have yet to actually use the CDS but I like the simplicity of a clean cross hair and if I get more into long range (for me, which is like 500 yards and less) I'll likely be a fun thing to tinker with. Just one of those things like Ford Vs. Chevy. No wrong way about it.
True enough. It does add a wrinkle that if I think about is probably no more or less complex than the CDS.. Once you get your load dialed in you are pretty good either way... Did you send your CDS dials in and have it calibrated to your specific load?

I read something once that a good way to go was the custom shop and the M1 Turrets.. Probably another whole debate on M1 vs. CDS.. : ) I may try the M1 turret on my next 2.5-8x36mm and see how it compares...

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I just changed out a couple VX3's (one CDS and two B&C) with the Swarovski Z5 BT 3.5x18x44 and couldn't be happier. I love the Swaro BT system. My custom turrets should be here soon and make the system even better. Swaro's are EXPENSIVE though...In fact I can't say they are 3 TIMES better than the VX3 CDS but none the less, they are awesome. If money is not an issue, go Swaro. If you want a lower cost alternative to Swaro, the Leupold CDS scopes have served me well. In fact, if anyone wants to try a Leupold CDS 3.5x10x40 at a discount, I will be listing one for sale soon! Just contact me before Sunday as I leave for a sheep hunt Sunday.