Scope for a .17 HMR

DG75

FNG
Hello Everyone!

I’ve been doing a lot of research on here(ty) and online as to what scope to get for my new CZ 457 Varmint. Would love to hear your input.

Based on the distances I will be shooting (20yd - 200yd, maybe further?), my eyes(Rx) and that I’ll mostly be shooting targets/varmints here and there.

I’ve narrowed it down to a TRIJICON Credo HX 2.5-15x42mm.

I know the most popular scope is 3-9x and 15x is a touch of overkill but is it???

I really like that you can dial the parallax down to 10yd
Reviews have pointed out well defined clicks when using the turrets and return to zero
SFP and MOA
Excellent glass
Good reputation

Look forward to seeing what y’all think. Open to suggestions on scopes with adjustable parallax(no fixed pls)

Rob5589

WKR
I have an older model Vortex on mine, 3-12 with a fine crosshair. Works great but no longer made. No dialing and I like the reticle due to how fine it is which makes longer shots on small critters more visible. I have a Mueller on my .22 which is similar (can't recall the model) and works great as well. 15X on top isn't too much for this purpose, IMO. No reason to not go to a higher end optic if you like. Just make sure to pick a reticle that works for what your shooting at.

Samson7x

WKR
I went with the 4-16 credo on mine and have been happy with it for the most part. The center dot is a little small for my taste but its a good scope at the EO sales price. It’s made in Japan so glass quality is good although I’ve noticed more CA than some of my other scopes. Turrets are defined but a little mushy if that makes sense. Perfectly useable though.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Something in the 2-16 range is about perfect.
I had a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 on mine for a while and liked it a lot, 10x was more than enough for small game out to 150yards.

The Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44 is a pretty nice scope and worth considering if you like SFP and MOA.

4-16 Arken EPL...... thank me later. the 6-24 is a tad overkill, but can come in handy.

IMG_2523.JPG

If you want a scope that has a great reputation, decent optics, great internal tracking, return to zero, zero retention, focus down to 10 meters, choice of MOA or MRAD and not break the bank a basic SWFA in 10x or 12x will easily satisfy what you've described.. All the scopes that have been mentioned here will work and are good scopes, but for the money the SWFA is pretty hard to beat, especially given the range capabilities of the 17hmr.. Good luck with your choice..

I have a hand-me-down 3-15 Razor LH on my T1X in 17 HMR. The magnification range works well for hunting, general range work, and also stretching its legs to 550.

Your desired Credo will work well for and your desired magnification range is just fine for your stated purposes.

OP
DG75

DG75

FNG
I’m an optic snob but I went against the grain and put a vortex diamondback on my .17HMR and have been more than pleased.

My buddy has one of these on his Savage .17. I like the scope and have shot using it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DG75

DG75

FNG
Something in the 2-16 range is about perfect.
I had a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 on mine for a while and liked it a lot, 10x was more than enough for small game out to 150yards.

The Leupold VX5hd 3-15x44 is a pretty nice scope and worth considering if you like SFP and MOA.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked @ the Leupold but it's parallax can only got down to 50.

Buckslyr

Lil-Rokslider
Arken SH4 4-16x50 on mine. Can’t beat the Arken stuff for the price. 347903C1-64D7-4B59-A2A6-CC72DE41B9A5.jpeg

OP
DG75

DG75

FNG
I went with the 4-16 credo on mine and have been happy with it for the most part. The center dot is a little small for my taste but its a good scope at the EO sales price. It’s made in Japan so glass quality is good although I’ve noticed more CA than some of my other scopes. Turrets are defined but a little mushy if that makes sense. Perfectly useable though.

I'd PM you but I don't think I'm able to since I'm new.

Great to hear you've been happy it with the Credo but..."for the most part" makes me a little weary. What other scopes do you have? You mention CA in the Credo so I'm just curious what scopes you are comparing the Credo to?

ezwy

FNG
I love higher power (12x-18X) on the upper end for squirrels, prairie dogs etc. out to 250 or so. i don't think its too high at all.

Rob5589

WKR
I'd PM you but I don't think I'm able to since I'm new.

Great to hear you've been happy it with the Credo but..."for the most part" makes me a little weary. What other scopes do you have? You mention CA in the Credo so I'm just curious what scopes you are comparing the Credo to?

I have the Credo 2.5-15, 3-9, and had a 4-16. I didn't see any CA with any of them.

OP
DG75

DG75

FNG
NF nx8 4-32 sfp with moar cf2 reticle is perfect in my opinion.
Parallax down to 11 yards.
4x is plenty low for close in and 32x is great for spotting those tiny .17 holes at 200 yards.

In my dreams!!! Too pricey for a plinker! Great looking choice...maybe for an actual hunting rifle.