Scope caps

The only issue I had with their covers was the eye piece flipper was in the way of the bolt. The bolt would flip the cover when cycled. By design or not don't know? I just ground the right side one off.
The eyepiece lever is on the left side, is your rifle left handed?

Weldor

WKR
You guys have me wondering now if I have two objective covers? I'll check it out later today.

EdP

WKR
I can't keep the eyepiece cap closed on my Leupolds. It is always popping open on its own. The objective cap works fine. I do like how streamlined they are. The Aadland caps look clunky.

MGFARM

FNG
I really like the Leopoldo scope caps but they are just scope caps. Just another thought. I used the stone glacier scope cover this last year and really liked it. It offers little padding, water proof material, and action protection. It held on securely and when it was time for removal it was fast and effortless for me.

I gave up on butler creek covers, I would break them very often and on really wet days they wouldn’t keep the water out, now I’m hesitant on any flip open style

I just use bikinis, and have recently switched to the timber creek version, they seem a little better than others I’ve used

Is there a more durable flip open style that will keep water out?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus , I've seen you use both. Do you have a go to type and what are the pros/cons you've found?

BC caps are poor quality. They break in a couple days of use. 20-25 years ago they were good, now they’re just brittle. Aadland is solid. Tenebrex is solid. Vortex Defenders are good.

For a rough and tumble, rifle has to go anywhere- Tenebrex or Aadland. If rain is a real or constant issue, the stretch neoprene covers- either by themselves or over the flip up caps. If legit snow is an issue, the Stone Glacier scope cover.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve also been reading on scope caps and it seems the aadlands are the go to. I’ve always liked a wrapped scope (Coban wrap) with caps.

BCsteve

WKR
I often carry my rifles in a Kolpin gunboot and I had to go back to the Butler Creek since they have the lowest profile. I've never handled them but the Tenebrex looks like they could work, the hinge is not too big. I tried the Vortex Defenders, they're good quality but the combination of grippy rubber and large hinge made it almost impossible to pull my rifle out of the scabbard. And usually the objective cap would pull off. The Aadland look like they may do the same thing with the large hinge.

Dobermann

WKR
Here's some quick reflections I posted on the Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model thread - just to keep this all in once place, in case it's helpful:

Butler Creek have well-known failures.

Aadmount are up there with Tenebraex. Aardmount are a harder plastic, louder in use, but solid. Tenebraex feel like pliable Tupperware of old, and are quieter. My guess is it's a personal preference between these two - but there's features I like about each, and features I don't, so I'm not yet falling either way and use both.

I've had one Aadmount occular not want to lock properly, and one Tenebraex split at the install point, so neither are perfect.

I have a couple of pairs of Tenebraex and would buy another set of butler creek again for a nice piece of glass. I also run a neoprene sleeve. It is either on or off the gun depending on conditions and the likelihood of a quicker shot, but I think it is good protection and well worth the minimal weight.

Weldor

WKR
You guys have me wondering now if I have two objective covers? I'll check it out later today.

My bad and apologies, they are MK machining on that rifle. My add

lands are fine. Just confusion on my end.

Last edited:
In 1978 I had a set of butler creek scope caps when I came nose to nose to a big bull in a jungle. I had a hard time shooting him because the caps were frozen on. I haven't used them since.

I'm upgrading my rifle to a new leupold 3XHD scope. I noticed they also sell scope caps for them (pricey) and was wondering if anyone has used these and are they worth it ?

Oh - in case you are wondering, since the bull was less than 15 ft away I just pointed and pulled the trigger. He was a nice 320 bull.
Can’t say I have but let me know what you find out

OP
P
A couple of my fellow cowboys reminded me of the relative incapatibility with saddle scabbards so I opted to stay with the Uncle Mikes covers that I got in the late 70s.

KenLee

WKR
In 1978 I had a set of butler creek scope caps when I came nose to nose to a big bull in a jungle. I had a hard time shooting him because the caps were frozen on. I haven't used them since.

I'm upgrading my rifle to a new leupold 3XHD scope. I noticed they also sell scope caps for them (pricey) and was wondering if anyone has used these and are they worth it ?

Oh - in case you are wondering, since the bull was less than 15 ft away I just pointed and pulled the trigger. He was a nice 320 bull.
Nothing better than hip shooting something big that crashes immediately